Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

blade sr?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 AM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blade sr?

hey guys. well im an electric rc car guy, but im thinking of helis too. is the blade sr a good beginner heli? i love the size on it and i saw videos and it looks cool and easy to fly.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM
boatfisher25

Default RE: blade sr?

I do not recomend it for a first heli. I had only flown a mcx and then I got the sr and crashed it on the first flight but after 3 crashes later and I am getting better at hovering it. I would recommend to start on the msr.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

hey guys. well im an electric rc car guy, but im thinking of helis too. is the blade sr a good beginner heli? i love the size on it and i saw videos and it looks cool and easy to fly.
Hi,

is this your first Heli?

if so.. the SR is definately not the right one...

Start with an MCX or MCX2..

Then move to the MSR.... when you can fly the MSR like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASC9akSqQxwthen you are ready to buy the SR.. but it will still be a huge learning curve..

Here are some vids of mine... don't try this indoors please until you have lots of experience on it.. it is not an indoor heli..

I don't mind the SR, but Ihad to change the 3 servos for better ones and made a few changes to the gyro before it flew properly... there are much better helis available for the cost... but definately go MCX and then MSR before you move to Collective pitch..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq6h6s90Fto[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSFIJd9Z54s[/youtube]
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Mack66

Hey Rob, what kind of camera do you have attached to your hat? Looks pretty useful for documenting your flights.

Mack
Old 03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks guys!!! i have taken a liking in the cx2 rtf. how is that one?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

You got some good advise there.
However, good r/c car guys are quick heli learners. Collective pitch helis are always tough, but a good simulator and some time on it would make most anyone I know of, with just a little help from an experienced pilot, would do great on a Blade 400. rchelicopterfun
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html is a seriously competent resource that helped me out more than I dreamed possible.
A Blade 400 is no harder to fly than an MSR.A MiniTitan(what I used) or TREX 450 can yeild the same results.
Doubters should see for yourself, its really shocking how much they can be tamed to just get you competently hovering nose out, then in.
BTW, Im not a car guy but have taught car racers planes and helis now. They're quick studies. Doug
Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
electricrc68
Banned

thanks for the link!!! i feel confident with flying a heli, but i don't like the real small ones. i like ones that are micro to mini. (i guess thats what you call them in the world of helis?)
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Mack66

Hey Rob, what kind of camera do you have attached to your hat? Looks pretty useful for documenting your flights.

Mack
Hi, its the model #11 Key chain camera from ebay.. this is the genuine High Definition one and will cost you about $40... the imitations cost much less..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HD-Car-Key-Ch...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Mack66

Thanks for this, Rob. For the yanks in here, here is the us ebay offer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Car-Key-Chain...item4aa809ddee

Mack
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Mack66

My first heli was an eFlight Blade CX2. Although fairly easy to learn to fly, it shares the same problem as the SR in that it is large enough to create its own weather indoors, and outdoors it is virtually unflyable if there's any wind to speak of. It will do best in a school gymnasium or large garage. I understand the mCX being smaller, flies better in your house.

I think regardless what you buy, you must be prepared for crashes and to have to fix it. So whatever you pick, make sure you can get replacement parts quickly and easily from where you are. Look in your Local Hobby Shop (LHS) and see what they offer and if they have a reasonable supply or replacement parts/crash kits etc. for that which you are interested. Next option is to check mail order houses for availability etc.

Ultimately it depends on your budget and your commitment to learn!

I went from the CX2 to an Hirobo Sceadu .50 nitro, and never looked back. Many reasons for this move, but the big ones were that it could fly in significant wind, a seasoned pilot was willing to mentor me, and my mentor is an Hirobo dealer so the parts were available on site. Most importantly to me though was that it was big enough to see well, so I could learn more easily. Going nitro gave me longer flight times and therefore more stick time to learn.

BTW I'm still learning (slow learner but what's the hurry?).

Mack
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ok thanks. yeah i tried a nitro car once, didn't end too well.....
Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 PM
patryn
My Feedback: (1)

Another vote for starting with a cx or msr. I started with the msr and spent 30 minutes just getting it off the ground and through my thick paranoia. The micros will take learning knocks. The SR won't.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks. what do you mean by cx? the cx2? would that be fine?

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodId=EFLH1250
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Mack66

CX2 is the newer version. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go for the mCX or its latest version, mainly because it's smaller and doesn't move the air around in your house so much. I've heard good reports about it from a friend who owns both.

Mack
Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Im following the same path, mCX - mSR - SR. Using the DXi6 radio for all three so I only have one radio to contend with instead of three. I need to order a few spare battery packs and training gear for the SR soon, the weather is getting better.  I also have someone giving me a simulator this weekend.