Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Ziroli designed, built and aluminum plated by Metal-morphous

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Ziroli designed, built and aluminum plated by Metal-morphous

Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Scotsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-38 Ziroli designed, built and aluminum plated by Metal-morphous

Ron,

I owe you a PM or message of some sort. Mitch mentioned that I should get with you about weathering aluminum finishes. I'm close to being ready for that with a fuse.

The P-38 looks great!! I'm sure nick had plenty of comments. He's a great guy and always enjoys seeing one of his designs done with great care and detail.

Hope the move is smooth, and I'll try to track you down in a couple of weeks.

Scot
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 AM
oifvet23
My Feedback: (6)

I had the good fortune to see this plane up close at the WRAM and I must say she is even more beautiful in person. Well Done!!

P.S. You were robbed of that best in show...Next time dont leave you engines at home..
Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Metalmorphous
My Feedback: (2)

Scott, I will be going back and forth from the old shop to the new but I will be checking my E-mail daily. You can always call me at 203 294-1314. I picked up some very cool techniques for getting the aluminum to look grained and if you look close to the panels around the turbos you will note that they are much darker than the rest of the aluminum, I can fill you in how we did that.

oifvet- I have to take the blame for not getting best in show,,,, Time got away on me and I didn’t get my engines back in time to get them mounted but I Think the WRAM judges were more than fare and they did a great job. I still had a great time showing the P-38 and talking to some really nice people including Ron from Orange County Chopper.. I'm glad you liked our version of the lightning and hope to see you there next year..

Ron

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98177.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1579054  
Old 03-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Metalmorphous

I have attached a photo of a P-38 that I think has not been seen before.. Last year I attended the Wings of Freedom tour like I do every year and for the last 3 years a good friend and WWII pilot Ted Turek (Pictured below) meets us at our display area and we catch up on things for 3 days,, Ted let me borrow his P-51 Mustang flight manual and he now needed it back. I stop by his home and again caught up with the events that happened over the long winter. During our conversions Ted broke out more photos of himself during the war and low and behold there he is standing in front of a P-38... He said he had just landed at this runway for some fuel and started talking to some of the other pilots that liked his P-51 mustang. Once we get settled in to our new location we have a project that I have wanted to do since last years Freedom tour. We will be building a 1/4 RC replica of Ted's P-51 and because his plane was unpainted it fall right into what we do This came about when I had the honor of meeting Ken Fredrickson last year, a p-47 pilot and we asked him to sign our morphed P-47. A few days later I was going threw the my photos of the tour and it hit me that I didnt have anything Ted flew to sign Well hopefully that will not be the case this year and since the Mustang has a simple design and I'm going to use a composite airframe it should be ready for this years tour at Waterbury/Oxford. I will start a new thread when we get started on it.

Ron

Name:	Sq45895.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1579977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74642.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1579978  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 AM
RollingCircle
My Feedback: (35)

way cool!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ron congrats, the best looking P-38 I ever seen, Metal Morph is the way to go. Best of luck with your new p-38. Joe C!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Metalmorphous

Joe coming from you that’s a real complement!!! I just sent you an E-mail

Ron
Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM
RollingCircle

Hey Ron,
So how's the new shop going? Got any pictures? I'm heading to the Hill this weekend to check it out. I'm hoping I can get the Maiden in on my 38 sometime next week if you still wanted to come check it out. Right now Thursday is looking like the day.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Metalmorphous

Hey Jim,,, we are in our new facility and its wonderful!!! I gotta tell ya that I am tired but it will be worth it when it’s finished. You have to stop by and whets nice is that is about 10 mins closer than our Wallingford unit. Today is the first day I got a chance to surf out what’s been going on in the p-38 world and I say your posts on Giant scale... Your 38 sounded sooooo nice, man the twin sink is the way to go. I read something about booms but I'm in denial and hope I didn’t read your last post correctly
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM
lgarber

Hey Ron,
Here is my P-38F. Tried sending it to your work e-mail but it came back "undeliverable".
Any way. painted in the colors of the 39th f/s, 35th f/g, south pacific. 77 is my number and the nose art will be my Army nickname;
"Wild Child". A few touch-ups but mostly done. It won't fly for quite awhile, VA disability, so fixed income to say the least.
Love the way she turned out.
Linn

Name:	Kh17648.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1641707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21323.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1641708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv52919.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1641709  
Old 07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
RollingCircle

ORIGINAL: Metalmorphous

Hey Jim,,, we are in our new facility and its wonderful!!! I gotta tell ya that I am tired but it will be worth it when it’s finished. You have to stop by and whets nice is that is about 10 mins closer than our Wallingford unit. Today is the first day I got a chance to surf out what’s been going on in the p-38 world and I say your posts on Giant scale... Your 38 sounded sooooo nice, man the twin sink is the way to go. I read something about booms but I'm in denial and hope I didn’t read your last post correctly
Hey Ron,
Glad the new place is going good. De-nile is not just a river in Egypt! The 38 is on the mend and will be flying again soon. I'm sure the fiberglass booms don't have a the same design flaw as the wooden ones.
CU soon!
Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Metalmorphous

Linn !!!!!!!!! Man that looks great!!!! You did a fantastic job on the modeling the P-38F Shoot me a PM your ready to get her in the air

Jim I already knew that you would have her back together like new. I didn’t want to bother you while you were doing your maiden flights but once you get things dialed in give me a call when you take it to the field or e-mail me, I would like to see her in air.

The attached photo is my new OFFICE/SHOW ROOM We still have a ton of finish work to do but the new shop i s great and working out very nice.. Youll have to when you get a chance/

Ron

Name:	Rp44859.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1644230  
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 PM
RollingCircle

Looking good!
I'll definitely swing by to check out the new place.
I'm hoping to fly it in September. I actually have one boom fixed but not finished and the other one is 50% done. I just wish I had re-enforced it the first time around and used spruce instead of hard balsa[:@]. Oh well lesson learned.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 AM
Metalmorphous

Well its that time of year again,,,,, WOW has it been a year already THE WINGS OF FREEDOM TOUR is back and will be at the Waterbury/Oxford airport the 9th-11th of this month.
We were asked to bring our Morphed aircraft for display so we will have our P-47 and P-38 and maybe a few other painted aircraft this year.
Full scale aircraft at the show this year will be a B-17,, B-24, and P-51,,,,,, and who knows,,, maybe we will get lucky and we will get a glimps of a 262[X(]
But the best part of this show will be talking to the men and women that experienced WWII first hand. Not many left so I urge you to go to see and talk with history,,, much better than reading it out of a book
Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 AM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright LINN!!!!
At LAST! Your 38F looks OUTSTANDING! I think it's the ONLY F model I've ever seen completed! A very hearty, WELL DONE is certainly in order. I've recently "finished" off my Robart too. I'm STILL trying to get the mufflers to fit inside the cowls. And, I've decided to go with counter-rotating props; the consensus seems to be trending that way from the "serious" P38 flyers. Gotta' tap into G-Pete's source for the props, now. Anyone need someconventional rotation,TruTurn 3-blade spinners?

Here's my 38 "static display" with twin DA85s and Mejlic 24-12W props.

Again, congrats Linn. Oh. And I still have some spare, salvagedZ P38 parts if anyone needs something.... you just pay for the shipping. (Nose, control surfaces, etc)

Regards,
Lynn
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 AM
langerl
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aw, cr**p. The picture didn't load (even after I got the OK from RCU). I'll try again.

Name:	Lj21654.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1656455  
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Metalmorphous

Just got back from the Wings of Freedom tour at the Oxford airport and again we had a wonderful time. The weather was great, beautiful WWII warbirds and the Veterans that attend are what make this a fantastic event.
My son in law took a ride on the B-24 and he hasnt stopped talking about
And this year was another special year for me,,, I had the honored to have Major Edward Riccio Jr. sign our Morphed P-38.
The story of how he became a pilot is unbelievable!! He was on a mission as a top turret gunner on a B-17 when they where hit with heavy flak,, the pilot and copilot where killed and the bomber was in a slow dive. He knew that if someone didnt take controls they had no chance so he got behind the controls and did his best to land the bomber. I attached the photo of the b-17 after the landing he made. Once he got out of the hospital he was granted any duty he would like so he choose flight training. After flight training he was trained as a fighter pilot but was offered the left seat in a B-26,,, Major Riccio told them that he was trained as a fighter pilot and would prefer a fighter spot,,,, well they had one and it was in a P-38....
I spent a few hours talking to the Major and I was glued to every word.. Just somethings you will never get from a book, TV or the net,,,

Enjoy the photos

Full Story

http://warriors-bikers-people-places...riccio-jr.html

Name:	Ca82303.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1661193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22965.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1661194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98639.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1661195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29564.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1661196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41229.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1661197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41633.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1661198  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
RollingCircle

Way COOL! And he signed it! Nice
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 PM
rich10

Wow!! And I thought it was special before. A real tribute
Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 PM
RollingCircle

So Ron, What's been going on!?? We need a fix! Have you gotten anything new done? I got the fiberglass fuses for mine and I've been working on them.
I still want to check out the new shop sometime!
Give us an update!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM
prop wash

Yes,an update.
Tom
Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Metalmorphous

Hi Jim, Tom,
Wow where has the time gone.
Here's an update
As you know we purchased a new facility last April, had to remodel, disassemble our old shop and equipment and setup the new shop. All went as planned and we were catching up on our backlog of projects when we got hit with that storm that knocked out the power for 5 days. We were right in the middle of a large plating job when that happen and the metal cooled before I could purge the equipment. Long story short, we had to replace 90% of the plating transfer lines and atomizing tips,, all custom made.
We were down for 3 weeks and work was backing up. We rebuilt the equipment and added some safety devices that hopefully will prevent this from happening again. Just as we saw some daylight from the back up of work, we got an influx of work from the antique automotive industry. I have attached a photo of one our the current project for you car guys.
Two weeks ago we took in a beautiful and big p-47 and it's here to be morphed with the works. I will be posting photos for the owner on the CARF P-47 thread
As for my morphed 38, my engines are back and I will be resuming work on it and will add photos here as it progresses.
Thanks for hanging around here on my build thread and checking in on me
It feels good to be working on the models again...

Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 AM
RollingCircle

Hey Ron,
That Cobra looks SICK! and the shop looks great. Bummer about the equipment. Good ol' CL&P!!
I'll be thinking about you as I'm working on my P38 today! ;-)
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Metalmorphous

Jim I'm assuming your replacing both the left and right booms with Nick's fiberglass units, if this is true are you adding any extra glass or carbon fiber reinforcement to the booms were a week area can crack just behind the wing saddle.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
RollingCircle

Hey Ron, Yes the booms are the fiberglass ones. What I did was add a 1/2 X 1/4 basswood stringer on either side and notch it into the gear plate former and the servo former. I'll epoxy some 1 oz cloth on top of that. Hopefully that's enough although the fiberglass in that area does seem very thick. I used Hysol 9462 to glue the bass wood in place. I think I have pics somewhere if you want to see them.
So hopefully I don't have to worry about it anymore

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.