Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobbyking lipos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobbyking lipos

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hobbyking lipos

Hi

I need new lipos for my F4 and was wondering if those are good. I need 1 Flightmax 5000mAh for the ECU and 2 2500mAh for the receivers (2 HS6014 with RRS Power box and 7 S9156 servos)

Till now I have used kokans with excelent results and after 110 flights and tests the difference between cells is less than 0,1V.

Issue is, I can buy all 3 batteries from Flightmax or Rhino for the price of 1 kokan.

Just wondering if anyone as used these in jets..

Thanks

Nuno
Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbyking lipos

I am using Zippy packs for my Jetcat ecu's with no problems, have hundres of flights between my 4 jets.

Kevin
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally a topic where I have good knowlage :-) the older lipos like flightmax and zippy are great cells but the terminals are under dimensioned for ture 40C capability. For ECU use they are really a great choice but for EDF they are liveing close to their limit. They do handle fast charging very well too.

(I never disassembeld a nano-tech yet)

:-)
Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know if it is worth the risk, I bought three Rhinos from HK for a small electric plane and one of them suddenly reduced it's discharge capacity even if it was charged exactly like the others, after not many cycles.

um abraço, Enrique.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Uh-uh. Not again. They sent me two bad 6S 5000's. The hassle of shipping back to China for replacement wasn't worth my while.

I use [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/]Hobby Partz[/link] now. Free shipping. USA warehouse. Very reasonable prices.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the bests LiPo out there, I suggest the Hyperion brand batteries... Exellent batteries, and can now are rated for 6c charge rate.. They offer Balance Adaptors for all cell sizes and different chargers..... Great stuff !!!!!

Danno
Old 03-14-2011, 01:09 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have got to buy new, go with A123's much safer technology and can be fast charged on the field without the need to remove them from the airframe, I use two 2 cell on my 6014's without any regulators and so do a lot of others without any problems, JetCat do a conversion to use a three cell A123, but you will have to check with your turbine ECU manufacture to see if you can use them, absolutly worth the effort.

Mike
Old 03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
swansons
My Feedback: (3)

I ordered 4 batteries from Hobby King, 2 Zippy packs and 2 FlightMax Packs. One of the Zippys was venting when it arrived. I tried about three or four times to get Hobby King to replace the bad pack. They seem to count on customers in the U.S. not wanting to go to the hassel they put you through to return a pack. They lost me as a customer over a battery that was bad on arrival and probably cost them $3[>:].
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
G-ROOKIE
My Feedback: (51)

I have ordered one bad pack from Hobby King, but know I buy from www.hobbypartz.com free shipping.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought many items from Hobby King including lipos for all applications and have found most of their products to be good

Dennis
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
jmohn

I have had good success with the Zippy packs. I have always used TP packs before and their gen II packs were terrible. Almost everyone I had puffed and went bad. The only issue with the Zippy packs is that the balancing wires are brittle and come off easily. I have had to solder them back on three of my four packs recently. I just got two of the 6S 5800 packs too, but only have a few flights on them so far.

Jeff
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmohn

I have had good success with the Zippy packs. I have always used TP packs before and their gen II packs were terrible. Almost everyone I had puffed and went bad. The only issue with the Zippy packs is that the balancing wires are brittle and come off easily. I have had to solder them back on three of my four packs recently. I just got two of the 6S 5800 packs too, but only have a few flights on them so far.

Jeff

Seeing as you asked whether Zippys were good or not, an not what other brand you should use....

Like Jmohn, I have used heaps of Zippy packs in all kinds of applications were I previously used only used TP packs. I use them for everything from ignition on my larger warbirds, and for both ECU and R/X packs on my turbine model, motor packs for a whole range of models from high powered EDF, heli's to slow park flyers, And have found the Zippys to be a great Li-po, and I never had a reason to question their reliablilty.. I have only used the Rhino's in a few limited applications so couldn't really comment.

You have to remember that all of those applications effectivily draw very little current. even 5,6, or even 7 Amps (which you MIGHT get to with R/X applications if using a bootful of digitals) is next to nothing for most Li-po packs. They start to show their true colours when used in high draw applications like EDF.

My E-converted 1/8 Byron F-16 which pulls about 120A at WOT really sorts the men from the mice in battery world, but for your application, so long as they are reliable they are all good. By the way, I also use two 6s 5800mah Zippys for the F-16 as well

Thanks

dave
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have used Zippy, Blue Lipo, Sky Lipo in some small fast props and edf planes for about a year with no issues.[8D]
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Couch Potato

Maybe avoid the "B" grade Lipos they are offering ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=431
Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

In my experience the premature failure (<15 cycles till cap is greatly diminished or a bad cell) and outright DOA percentage is about 35% for their packs with three cells and above. I have bought about 13 packs from them in 3S and above config. I have only bought two 2S packs and they have both held up fine, but these are only used for ECUs. The cells also dont balance well, not uncommon for the cells to have a 2-3 tenths difference in voltage after use, my Thunder power packs in the Electra are always spot on or at the most 1/100 of a volt different. Like the previous poster stated, they are counting on you not wanting to ship it back to China. Scotty
Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Duncan

I've used them for years, but up until last weekend never in a jet. I used a 2S pack on for the ECU of a Merlin and it worked fine. I'll don't know if i'd ever use one for the radio but the A123 packs they sell look promising
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
dubd

I've purchased over 50 packs from Hobby King and only received one bad one. GSR - Not sure where you're getting your failure rates. I have 2S, 4S, 6S packs from them and all have worked great. They even balance as well as my TP packs. I use HK packs (Zippy, Turnigy) in all of my turbine jets, helis, and electric 3D planes.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

I've purchased over 50 packs from Hobby King and only received one bad one. GSR - Not sure where you're getting your failure rates. I have 2S, 4S, 6S packs from them and all have worked great. They even balance as well as my TP packs. I use HK packs (Zippy, Turnigy) in all of my turbine jets, helis, and electric 3D planes.
I'm going to go with GSR on this. I've bought 8 Turnigy 5S 5000 40C packs from them and so far, 3 of them have died in the first 10 flights or less. I cycled them several times before use and the max current draw in the application is about 110 Amps. I manage the throttle pretty well and the packs are only warm after a flight. I typically take only 3500 MAh out of them on a flight. However, they still die with disturbing regularity. This past weekend I also had a brand new (but cycled) Turnigy 2S 5000 40C pack die on me. All of the packs go in the same way - one cell completely puffs and basically turns into a bag of goo. No fires so far, and only one of the packs actually died in the air (resulting in a dead stick) - all of the rest were just puffed when I took them out of the plane.

I'm currently looking for another source for batteries. I have 4 of the 5S 5000 Nano-techs - I hope they do better than the standard Turnigy cells...

Bob
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I have some crappy HK batts and then the new 65C thunderpower batts and XPS batts. Thier is no contest. My charger tells the whole story. It measures internal resistance of each cell.

HK 8.2 average..........yikes
thunderpower 1.4 average
XPS 1.5 average
Granted the XPS batts and the thunderpowers are the next gen batts. But with these new low IR numbers you can charge them at 6C and they never get hot. Not to mention they last well over 300 cycles. The HK batts would have less then half the total cycles before they take a crap if they even work in the first place.

If you have a 5K dollar jet why save such little money on such an important part?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had one bad pack from them , out of the 4 i ordered .. but i only have used these on my son's RC cars ... I will caution anyone from buying their knock of electrical connectors however ( like the EC connectors) .. I use these on my jets, and have found that the ones i got from Hobby King corrode and tarnish very quickly.. Id rather pay the few extra $ for the real deal from Eflite, Deans, etc ..

~V~
Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunradd
My charger tells the whole story. It measures internal resistance of each cell.

HK 8.2 average..........yikes
thunderpower 1.4 average
XPS 1.5 average
You need to tell the whole story too, which HK cells are you compareing? they offer everything from 10C(?!) to 90C.

Also the internal resistanse are of little intrest if discharging them slow as in turbine usage...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 AM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

IMO, many here are missing the point. It isn't about internal resistance etc....because the app the guy is asking about is a low-draw app vs a stressful hi draw one.

The fact is that HK DOES occasionally send out bad batteries of various brands, so the brand isn't the issue either. (My own bad-out-of-the-box rate for Zippys is 12.5%, or 2/16 batts)

What IS the issue, IMO, is that most of their stuff is shipped from China, and IF you have a problem then you are paying $$ to wait two months for a return...IF they honor the warranty.

That is why I switched to a USA based outfit (Hobby Partz). So far none of the 20 or so batts I have bought there have been bad, but if I do get a bad one it should be a lot less hassle.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Hnorth

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I have bought like 3 or 4, 3 cell batteries and I will say they have more "umph and strength" than parkzone's. I also bought 3, 4 cell batteries and I haven't received a bad pack.......yet...
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

thumbs up for zippy packs on my helis
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have bought 10 HK lipo's so far & all are working fine.

One is a 2 cell for a Wren ECU, 8 x 3 cell for my prop driven electric flight planes
and two of them are 4 cell packs for my Habu. - John.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.