Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Fire buttons

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:46 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fire buttons

Guys, I took one of mnyAerosport 5 radios apart and attempted to add a fire button for the main gun.Seems easy enough. Unfortunatley, it doesn't work....anyone out there care to chime in and give me some insight? Thanks fellas!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 PM
hiramekisama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fire buttons

I tried something like this before, mainly to have a 360 degree turret rotation.

The voltage from the receiver is not enough to work the airsoft gun motor. I think 6-7V is what you need to run the motor. I use a servo with a lever switch and a battery 6-7v source to fire the gun.

Something like this: http://www.tamvalleyrr.com/images/50...d_P2076579.jpg
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
yellowshaker

I appreciate the reply, but I was talking about using an additional button on a controller which is soldered in to fire the main gun on a Tamiya Tank...
Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 AM
shadowwolf65

Here you go check out this web site.

http://www.fragarmor.org/Advanced Hints 3.htm

It seems like you`ll have to copy and paste the adress to get there.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
yellowshaker

I checked it out and that's the way I have it wired...no worky! lol

Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Panzerpaul

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Gentlemen: Those instructions were written to modify a Futaba Skysport 4 channel, so FRAG can not guarantee that they will work with other type transmitters. I would think that they would, but just be cautious making your changes...perhaps you could test your type transmitter with the set-up, before actually drilling any permanent holes for the switches.

When you get connected to our website you will see that it is very dated. The program that one of my members used to create the webpage is no longer supported by the company that sold it (they went out of business), and we are locked out from making any kind of up dates since then (2006). Maybe one day FRAG will get a new member who is well versed in webpage creation and we can get a new one up and running. In the meantime there is a wealth of info and pictures on the old site. Panzerpaul
Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Panther G

Joe, you should have the common wire from each button switch going too the middle pin and the hot wire going to either the top or the bottom pins depending on how you want them too work. On mine I have the main gun on the top and the machine gun on the bottom. You must also be sure you are using momentary switches. Straight on or off switches wont work. I will have to open one of mine up and take some pics and get them posted as I had said i would do. Just havent had the chance.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Green Amphibian

Have you checked out the HEAT site for instructions on how to do it? The commander has it down pat also.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Dana Lowell

Here's an old article. But it might be a different radio.
http://heatarmor.com/joomla/index.ph...d=61&Itemid=29
Old 03-16-2011, 02:09 PM
yellowshaker

Well the way I did it was to solder a wire to the middle terminal and to the top temrinal and then connected the wires to the momentary switch...no worky still! LOL I am nnot getting it guys. this should work from what I see.....
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM
yellowshaker

Ok, so I never know when to walk away from something....I decided to take my controller apart for the Leopard and try adding a button to it. I use an Aerosprt 5 for that tank as well. I soldered the wires the same as the first time and it works fine....now I am thoroughly confused which...is really nothing new.
I then took apart my Spectrum DX5E and used the existing trainer switch to modify that as the fire button for the main gun. Guess what! It too worked fine. Sooo...any ideas on a possessed radio? LOL
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Green Amphibian

It might have something to do with the switch itself. I have had brand new ones that would not work before.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Pershing.Driver

when you fire the gun does the tank recoil forward or backward?

check for sloppy solder connection. you can short the switch to find out if the switch is the issue.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 PM
yellowshaker

Nah, the switch is good. I actually used that same switch in the Leopard..just deslodered it from the pot and soldered it to the Leopard Controller... Funny thing is when I tried shorting it on the Sherman controller, the main gun did not fire either...if I hit the stick up, it fires every time....Very strange no?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Panther G

All i can think of Joe is that pin may have a bad connection internally on that radio. That or the button switch is only working intermittently.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
yellowshaker

I got brave and took the RDS 8000 apart to have a look inside. You know how sometimes you go justa  bit too far...well this time it worked out ok. LOL I added a fire button to it and tested it with my Elmod tanks. Works like a charm. I like the fire button mod! Thanks for the input fellas...I am still not sure about that one aerosport, but I figure it is a problem in the radio itself. Oh well...