Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Need advice on first sailplane.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need advice on first sailplane.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on first sailplane.

I am considering buying this plane, and I have a few questions. Someone said it was an Olympic 99, but the wingspan is off (86.5"). Any ideas as to what plane it is? Is the engine pod the best way to get airborne, or is there a better way? Lastly, what size engine should I be looking for? I have been flying glow/gas powered planes for several years, but this is my first attempt with a sailplane, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63823.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1579685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62367.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1579686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57147.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1579687  
Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need advice on first sailplane.

Looks like an Oly to me! Or maybe a Craft Air Drifter. These sailplanes are known as "Gas Bags". real floaters indeed. They'll stay up in the lightest thermals! Unfortunately, a power pod with a I.C. engine will reduce the model's performance in the power off mode. If you want a power plane, get a power plane. Otherwise, a Hi start is the best way to launch these types of gliders.

Randy
Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
ScottMcM

It makes sense that the pod would hurt the performance. Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking into a Hi start.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
planebuilder66

Yup, a powerpod will rob performance, but for learning to fly the glider it's a great way to get in the air safely. A histart if done incorrectly will result in a dead sailplane in short order. The best way to have a good first flight is to hand launch the glider and trim it out to be hands-free. After your happy with the CG setting and MECHANICAL trims, setup your dual rate switch for low rates and high rates, or use expo on the sticks. Set the tow hook about 1/8"~1/4" ahead of the CG your set to. This should get you in the "ballpark" for very successful flights.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Ranfred Radius

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

A histart if done incorrectly will result in a dead sailplane in short order.
This is true!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
ScottMcM

Thanks guys. I knew I would get good advice here. There is a lot more to gliders than a beginner would expect. Maybe I'll try and find a small glow engine at the swap meet this weekend. Maybe a .15 or .20? Also, is this a good plane to learn with? I know it has some age on it, and I'd really hate to destroy it.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM
planebuilder66

It's a great plane to learn on, I would choose a .049~.10 tops for the pod. If you can find a AP .09 then get it, I think hobby people sell it still. That will pull it with authority, but if you want a histart, go for it, just read the first sticky on the top of the forum or go to northeast sailplanes site and read about setting up for launching using a histart.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM
ScottMcM

Will do, thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Norvels are on again now, check over in the 1/2 A forum. The guys are spot on as far as the power pod robbing gliging performance but it is an optional method so you loose nuttin' to try it
Night flying powered gliders with glow sticks taped on is a ton of fun! Get very used to the set up before trying this though.

As your mount has a throttle servo I am guessing it had the Norvel 049 RC or sumpin' really close.
Let us know when you catch your first thermal with it either way!

Thermals are stronger up high and this type of set up will get the glider up there.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
kw5368
My Feedback: (2)

Olympics had the option of being built with an 88 or 99 inch wing. If someone told you it's an Olympic, it probably is with the shorter wing. The Oly II has a 100 inch wing. You also have the option of using an electric power pod if you don't want to deal with the mess.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:06 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Electric motors are the power plant of choice for gliders.  They are quiet, clean and you can turn them on and off in the air.  That allows you to make several climbs on  a battery pack.  

With today's brushless motors and lipo batteries you can often convert a pure glider to an e-glider with a motor in the nose for very little weight gain.  The folding prop does produce a small amount of drag but not enough to be an issue.  Just be sure the ESC has a brake to stop the prop from spinning.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 AM
ARUP

You could always put your glow motor in the nose. One step further would be to make it removable and a 'regular' nosecone could go in its place. That would take care of the pod drag issues.