Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dynaflite Butterfly build

shoes53 Welcome to the best build thread on one of the best fun flyers.
The screws are underneath. The last one I built I failed to put them in as I never bothered using them on the first one after the first 6 or 7 flights. If you must have them put a piece of ply between the two ribs to give a bit of strength for the two screws to grip to . AS to the motor selection my old girl has had the following motors. OS 15 FP , OS 20 FP ; OS 26 FS ; OS 20 FS. They all flew well But my love is the 20 Four Stroke. So go for the one that you have (OS 15 MAX) it will handle it .
As to where I am with Butterfly 2 Only some small trim on the underneath of the wing ,Fit the fuel Tank, Strengthen the tail side suports and go flying.But I need to admit that I have put it back in the roof storage area for a short time.
Now I do fly my old butterfly every week ,it has not missed a sunday outing in the past ten weeks One or two flights and then it on to other aircraft for the rest of the day. My main ambition is to get it to the height of the clouds enter them and then bring it down. Every one in the club has flown her regardles of the mode 1 or 2 I have the transmitter set so either stick will opperate the rudder.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as all the members of our small club do .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31230.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	1579017  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
shoes53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks quigley for all the good info ... , intend to go flying soon as the weather breaks here in chicago and waiting for my new radio system will send pictures as soon as i can figure out how to .
Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM
shoes53

here are the pictures
Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM
shoes53

one
Old 03-16-2011, 04:45 PM
shoes53

let me try agian.....

Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM
shoes53

oh well .. the elavator looks  to be  two tone due to the lighting.                                                  but thats the best i can do .
Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Quigleywins

Shoes it looks great, are you going to put some trim on the wings etc or are you finished. Remember that when you fly her it can stand on its end if too much control is given and if in trouble kill the motor till you can get it level. It will rise away from the ground with ease, if the trim is right. all that is required is very small amounts of rudder and elevator at a time to control her. Pick a calm day for the first flight. I have flown mine on very windy days but most of the flight is into the wind. Have a great Time Yours Paul T
Old 03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
shoes53

thanks for the compliment quigleywins    ya   not finished yet,  need motor gas tank , radio  , soon as i receive the radio in the next  few days ,it shouldnt  take long from there . hoping to br fllying  in a week ,weather permitting     this is chicago   warm today   maybe snow tomorrow , i hope not, lol           thanks.. shoes53
Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 PM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Hello everyone! I see that there has been more butterflys join the group! The weather here is just beginning to calm down a bit. And I will be taking my butterfly out soon. I've been away for a bit.

Hey Quigleywins, how is everything? My sons have had me busy doing some engine rebuilds. We have had a windy Jan, Feb, and March, but the winds are calming down. I hope to get out to the field soon.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Quigleywins

Earl I need an up date on how life is treating you etc give us a PM. Untill somthing serious happens to the old butterfly the new one will not be finished. Its so close as is the cake. Just two many on the building board at one time. And that HDL is so big now with the days getting shorter. Bugger Bugger Bugger that says it all Well its the weekend here (Friday night) So I hope the wind slows so the flying can happen Sunday. Yours Paul T
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 AM
sandal

Winter is finally letting go! 6 degrees C (43F) and sunny! I spent a couple of hours in the shed today, and the balsa pieces are starting to look like wing panels.

Name:	Rp44302.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1588075  
Old 04-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Quigleywins

Looking good its great to see the sun is on its way to your side of the world. I had my old bird in the air last week for one hour over three flights.I never get sick of flying it. Keep us posted on the progress.Yours Paul T
Old 04-08-2011, 05:59 PM
shoes53

hello everyone the butterfly is ready ... waiting for the 85 degree sunday were supposed to get this weekend .will try to get the miaden flight in . will keep you posted thanks everybody.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Quigleywins

We do need to be the first to know how it flys. Good luck. Yours Paul T
Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Quigleywins

It has happened the butterfly was last seen heading South East from Metcalf at quiet a height,went into clouds never to be seen again. Yours Paul T PS I will now finish the other one for next Sunday.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Clay Walters

Any recent UFO sightings in your area?

Too bad Paul. Maybe someone will locate it and contact you.

Regards,

Clay
Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 PM
shoes53

sunday update ..... got out there to the field with the butterfly seemed like a nice afternoon , lot of flyers were out there , i waited for the instructure but he got there late , the wind had picked up . was advised not to try it . oh well plenty of days ahead. oh and paul sorry to here about gone with wind , i lost a nextstar ep like that never seen it again. good luck with the next butterfly shoes53

Old 04-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Quigleywins

Well the day was great no wind at all so I made my way out to the shed at 7:30 to make the effort to finish what should have been done weeks ago. Off to the field at 10:00 AM . It flew great ,Now because of the effort last week this one has GPS . It did get to 760 meters from the ground great fun. I live again.( Only butterfly flyers will understand this) Yours Paul T
Old 04-17-2011, 06:55 PM
shoes53

hey ... that gps idea sounds great . here a short story when i had my maiden flight oh about 30 yrs with a golberg eagelet some one had turned on there radio while i was in the air same frequency ... welll lost the plane , three weeks later the local hobby shop i had visited had my plane hanging up for sale , i didnt have my name in inside the plane so i describe the servoini it , the shop let me buy it back for 25 bucks there was no damage to it at all ..... the shop told me some 10 yr old brought it to them and they gave him 25bucks. lol.... oh windy and rain here in the windy city no flying for a couple have fun... shoes 53
Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Quigleywins

Well things could not be better .The return of the butterfly. On the way to the field today I could see some one cutting wood .It now near three weeks since the butterfly went walkabout. I made my way to where the chainsaw was in use. A sjmple question have you see a large model aircraft. The reply was just as quick ."it up on the hill about 20 meters from the gate.
the repair work will be started in the morning Yours Paul T

Name:	Bz79272.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	1599388  
Old 04-28-2011, 05:50 PM
shoes53

hey thats great news...  was the motor attached  .
Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Quigleywins

shoes53 No the motor was in the ground a fair way .The front former was out and back up the inside. I have started the rebuild not a great deal of work but I intend in making the nose the same as the new one that I'm flying. It has around 2 inches added along with about 15 degress down thrust. Makes them handle so much better, I will post a photo of the rebuild. Yours Paul T
Old 04-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Quigleywins

Well here is the first of the photos of the modification and recovering. yours Paul T

Name:	Tq48496.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1601248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33547.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1601249  
Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
shoes53

hey that sounds good paul   i  will       look for some of your repair photos ,  so when i crash mine  i will have some referance, didnt evan get a chance to fly mine yet  the weather here is  in the 60s but the wind is strong  usually on my day off  . i keek you posted ....  thanks russell           
Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Quigleywins

Well its about time some one put a post on to what is going on in Butterfly land. Its wet and windy here in OZ so some building will be the game plan today, (butterfly rest day) The new one has been in the air every week except one. That was after I hit the pilot area fence, (it was raining so we were flying inside the club house,so as to keep the TX dry) New tail plain and one wing rebuild (centre section) required. I'm wondering how all are going,Earl, Shoes53 and sandal. Bill are you into your build yet. Yours Paul T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.