Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

question about sd-10g and aurora 9

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

question about sd-10g and aurora 9

Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 AM
beijinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about sd-10g and aurora 9

hi guys
i have a ff9 already, and i want to buy a new 2.4g radio. lots of people say sd10g is wonderful. i didn't know does it have big difference with ff9? should i buy a sd10g or 12fg? and how about aurora 9?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: question about sd-10g and aurora 9

I have the sd10 and the 12fg, and my buddy has the A9. The Aurora 9(A9) is too small for my hands. The gimbals on the SD10 are good, but the 12fg and A9 are better. the SD10 programming is the easiest that I have ever used, the 12fg takes some thinking if you need to oddball mixing. The SD10 is better for people with larger hands. My buddy can't comfortable use my sd10 because he has to stretch his thumbs too far.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 AM
beijinger

ORIGINAL: JeffH

I have the sd10 and the 12fg, and my buddy has the A9. The Aurora 9(A9) is too small for my hands. The gimbals on the SD10 are good, but the 12fg and A9 are better. the SD10 programming is the easiest that I have ever used, the 12fg takes some thinking if you need to oddball mixing. The SD10 is better for people with larger hands. My buddy can't comfortable use my sd10 because he has to stretch his thumbs too far.
thanks a lot ! sd 10 have a good price
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 AM
wagen017

why don't you just buy a Futaba 10C? It is exactly the same as FF9. I made that switch two years ago, still very happy!

Volkert
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I love my SD10G. I use a neck strap, so no need to really support radio and thus the size is not an issue, though it does take a day to get used to.

Programming is AMAZINGLY simple, so intuitive. Very capable radio (eons beyond my capabilities), the price is very good, and service and support are superb.

More and more of them are showing up at contests, so now you can get some help at the field from your friends and reps.

Can't say anything about the other radios, though my thought is you'd be happy with any of them.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also look VERY hard at the new Futaba 8FG. With the latest software upgrade, it is now a 14 channel radio with many of the mixes found on the 12 and 14 series. It is a VERY capable radio for around the same cost as the others.

Arch
Old 03-17-2011, 10:37 AM
ArchNemesis

I'll start by saying I am an Airtronics team member and therefore biased by design, but that said I'd like to offer a few things to consider.  Several on here have already commented on the SD-10's capabilities and ease of programming so I won't dwell on that.  Some of the others may seem comparable on price at the onset, but if you're planning to make this your primary radio and therefore outfit multiple aircraft, pay attention to the price of additional Rx's.  Airtronics offers a full line up of 2.4 rxs (3gm micro, 6gm micro, 5,6,7,8, 10 channel) and all but one of those is well under $100.  Most places sell the 5ch for $50.   So your total cost of ownership is often significantly lower.

It's extremely Pattern capable.  At last years Dist 4 Champs we had 11 of 35 pilots flying SD-10's.  Double any other radio. 

Feel free to send me a private message if you have specific questions and I'd be happy to answer. 

Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very happy with my SD-10G. All of the radios in this price range are high-quality items. The feature set in the SD-10 will do anything a pattern pilot needs and more. It's not lacking anything at all.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 PM
wagen017

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

I would also look VERY hard at the new Futaba 8FG. With the latest software upgrade, it is now a 14 channel radio with many of the mixes found on the 12 and 14 series. It is a VERY capable radio for around the same cost as the others.

Arch
I looked at the specs but that is one fine radio! I also like the fact you can upgrade it. Very nice.

Volkert
Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

I'm an SD-10G user as well. I believe it's the most affordable truly high end radio in the business. That it's the easiest radio program out there makes it a real gem in my opinion. It puts high level programming easily within reach of us average guys. I was a long time JR user but within a half hour I was totally won over by the SD-10G programming. I also happen to have fairly large hands. This radio is so comfortable. If you get a chance to go to Toledo or some other convention pick one up. For that matter, pick up everything and see how they feel. For me, that's the #1 consideration.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 PM
beijinger

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I love my SD10G. I use a neck strap, so no need to really support radio and thus the size is not an issue, though it does take a day to get used to.

Programming is AMAZINGLY simple, so intuitive. Very capable radio (eons beyond my capabilities), the price is very good, and service and support are superb.

More and more of them are showing up at contests, so now you can get some help at the field from your friends and reps.

Can't say anything about the other radios, though my thought is you'd be happy with any of them.
thank you! one more question, does sd 10g have more advantage than FF9?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

I too am an Airtronics Team member. Radio has exceeded all my expectations! i switched from Futaba for 30 yrs to Airtronics and have had zero issues with the 2.4 system.

Futaba was good to me having never lost a plane due to radio issues.

Good Luck, I think either way you choose you wont be disappointed.

A shout out to Airtronics service, as they are quick to respond to any questions.
Chuck Hochhalter
Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM
beijinger

ORIGINAL: ArchNemesis

I'll start by saying I am an Airtronics team member and therefore biased by design, but that said I'd like to offer a few things to consider. Several on here have already commented on the SD-10's capabilities and ease of programming so I won't dwell on that. Some of the others may seem comparable on price at the onset, but if you're planning to make this your primary radio and therefore outfit multiple aircraft, pay attention to the price of additional Rx's. Airtronics offers a full line up of 2.4 rxs (3gm micro, 6gm micro, 5,6,7,8, 10 channel) and all but one of those is well under $100. Most places sell the 5ch for $50. So your total cost of ownership is often significantly lower.

It's extremely Pattern capable. At last years Dist 4 Champs we had 11 of 35 pilots flying SD-10's. Double any other radio.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have specific questions and I'd be happy to answer.

do you have any pictures of sd 10s? i live in China. i see nobody sell it.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

There are pictures and videos here; not sure if you can access any site?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-sx-sd10g.html
Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 AM
ArchNemesis

Here are a few from the Airtronic's web site and the Esprit web site.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw66880.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1580378   Click image for larger version

Name:	om32184.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1580379