Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 10E

Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
twobnvd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 10E

Anyone running 3's through theres yet? I want to see a video as I am about to buy some more batteries and if it is a big improvement I will buy 3's if not Ill just save the money and buy 2's as this thing flies with 2's. My middle son runs this truck as I run the Eartquake 8E but his is holding up great and he hasnt broken anything except for the body and the sterring servo but both from extreme crashes, Please posta video or a link to a video if anyone has one or has seen one,
THANKS!!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Caldera 10E

its a big difference between 3s and 2s on the caldera!
the extra voltage means the motor will spin about 3000rpms faster than on a 2s lipo.

honestly, going from a 6cell nimh to a 2s lipo will be a big improvement. and for a boy, i would think 2s lipo will be plenty. expect the truck to do 35-40mph on 2s lipo.

and if you do go 3s lipo, you have to re-wire the stock fan to run of the Reciever's 3rd channel.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:57 PM
twobnvd

Thanks for the heads up he is currently running on 2'3 and loves it but since buying new packs thinkoing of going 3's but only if performance is noticable. So you hust wire fans to the extra channel on the reciever?
Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 05:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: twobnvd

Thanks for the heads up he is currently running on 2'3 and loves it but since buying new packs thinkoing of going 3's but only if performance is noticable. So you hust wire fans to the extra channel on the reciever?
Thanks
yes, the fan is powered of the ESC. if you run 3s the fan will get too much voltage.

just cut the wires where they meet the board, and then add wire with a Rx plug(hobby shops will have them)
that will power the fan off the Rx and give the fan the proper voltage no matter what battery you run.

on 2s lipo, the caldera is quick. on 3s, it can wheely! on 3s it will be just as fast as the earthquake.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM
twobnvd

Nice. I will have to give this a shot. I wish someone had a video like a battery comparison. But guess ill have to do it after I get the 3's in. this would also giver longer run time if say using a 3 - 5000 compared to 2 - 5000 right as it would take longer to reach low voltage cutoff? As you are starting with a higher voltage and draing more cells? Just a thought.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: twobnvd

Nice. I will have to give this a shot. I wish someone had a video like a battery comparison. But guess ill have to do it after I get the 3's in. this would also giver longer run time if say using a 3 - 5000 compared to 2 - 5000 right as it would take longer to reach low voltage cutoff? As you are starting with a higher voltage and draing more cells? Just a thought.
a 3s 5000mah and a 2s 5000mah will provide about the same runtime.
the 3s might be alittle higher, only cause you are not as likely to run WOT as much.

my buddy has a 2s and a 3s he ordered for his caldera. he should get them in 1-2 weeks. as warmer weather comes and i get more free time, i hope to make a bunch of RC vids with redcats in them.
i have a RS10 and the earthquake 8E and a lighting epx pro.
2 of my friends have caldera 10e's and one of them is getting a aftershock 3.5 on friday.
i hope we can all get together and have a redcat bash some weekend!