Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Fun with my Volcano SV30

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Scheeringa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun with my Volcano SV30

OK, so about a month ago my buddy came by with his brand new Traxxas savage and his older Redcat Volcano SV30. He said he could never get the nitro running right, but gave it to me in hopes that I could so he would have a racing buddy. And so the story begins.
Being a tinkerer and a ASE mechanic with a lot of knowledge in 2-strokes and carburators...this little thing is right up my alley, although I don't know a whole lot about the RC hobby.
The truck right away got the hop-up kit, new body, wheels and tires, bell-crank and servo saver, new steering servo, shockwave direct drive, 13t clutchbell with a 54t HPI Spur, dual brakes, HPI springs for the rear to convert it to single rear shocks (not enough clearance for the double), electric starter (which has been nothing but a electrical nightmare!), and my 2 channel spektrum reciever with telemetry is on it's way.
This little thing (When it's running good) makes my buddies Savage look foolishly slow, so he bought the Team Associated SC10. His brushless gets me off the line, but can never keep the lead! I'm loving this hobby...but I got a few problems that I'm hoping someone here can help me with.
CV axles. Had the 2 up front from the hop-up kit, and I broke both of them right away. twisted off at the CV joint. Checked them several times before going out...and theres no way it could have been binding. I ordered new ones, but they are for the Volcano EPX..so they won't work. I'm currently just running the orininal dogbones up front with great results...until......
The rear dogbones. If I adjust them any tighter, then they bind and bend, adjust them any looser, and they fall out. I've tried fuel line in the drive cups, everything and I can't get them to stay put! I keep looking at the CV shafts for the EPX on my work bench and was thinking about swapping the entire rear suspension from the EPX just so I can use these CV shafts in the rear.
Now onto the engine. When it runs, it usually runs great. Usually starts hard so I'm glad I don't have to mess with the pullstart (Which broke the day after I got it). There doesn't seem to be very much bottom end power, even with the 13/54 gears i got. And every now and then I'll notice that my tuning just starts going out of wack. I'll be running with my tuning fine and holding at about 225-250 degress, then all of a sudden it'll jump to 350 and die. The hobby store owner, who reminds me every time I go in about what his opinion of redcats is, says it might be caused by a air-leak somewhere. I still haven't checked that to see if he could be right. I was also planning on going to a .21 or larger O.S. engine sometime in the future. So if anyone has any advice on doing that, or maybe advice on doing it sooner rather than later, I would love to hear it!
So there ya go...great truck....just engine and axle problems.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50565.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1580827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77992.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1580828  
Old 03-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Scheeringa

Default RE: Fun with my Volcano SV30

The engine is no longer going to be a problem. It was leaking air out of all corners, and the piston/sleeve is shot. I ordered my new O.S. .18 TZ motor...and it should be here by the middle of the week. Now just axles and dogbones.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
cswtornado

Traxxas doesn't make the Savage :P
Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice of you buddy to give you the truck, even if he was having issues with it.

i to have helped out some friends get started in the hobby....just so i have people to bash with

honestly, your issues with the volcano sound like every nitro i have ever owned. some days i could bash it hard for many tanks, and other days i couldnt get them to run. i do great with brushless truck, but have an issue %50 of the time i try to run a nitro but it think that me, not the trucks.

you could try taking the dogbones to the hobby shop(even tho the owner doesnt sound helpful) and see if any others on the racks match up but are a tad longer. usually fuel line in the drive cups does the trick, but if you already tried that then finding some slightly longer dogbones would surely help.

BTW, i like your choice of wheels. look very mean on that truck!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Scheeringa

He has the Stampede. my mistake. And yeah, The dogbone problem is something I heard from everyone. I got my O.S. Turbo motor installed, just waiting for some daylight to break her in and see what she'll do. Maybe I'll have to go and get into the market of making aftermarket half-shafts for RC cars. LOL.