Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ducty 20!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ducty 20!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:34 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ducty 20!

Robart is talking about picking up the Toki line, let's all hope. And Toki has a new turbine coming out.
The price should be more reasonable if it does not come from the UK, remember, it needs to be shipped from China to Japan to the UK and then to you!
Still, $450 includes the motor and fan and pipe, it's not that bad. And the engine does 27,000 rpm on the ground!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:17 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easytiger

As someone who like a good arguement, perhaps you could explain the rationale behind this model. I can understand a small I.C. powered ducted fan inside the fuselage of a Kamdax Mig 15 or similiar, you still have the scale look but not the turbine sound.

Here we have bolted a ducted fan unit to the top of a delta sport model which will undoubtedly be less efficient, more complex , more expensive and worse looking than the same I.C. engine mounted at the tail driving a pusher prop. Yes, I accept that the vertical stabs. would need to be slightly further apart, but, other than that not much adjstment required.

This seems like a triumph of design over simple engineering, I await your reasoned response.

John
Old 03-17-2006, 09:30 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Easytiger

As someone who like a good arguement, perhaps you could explain the rationale behind this model. I can understand a small I.C. powered ducted fan inside the fuselage of a Kamdax Mig 15 or similiar, you still have the scale look but not the turbine sound.

Here we have bolted a ducted fan unit to the top of a delta sport model which will undoubtedly be less efficient, more complex , more expensive and worse looking than the same I.C. engine mounted at the tail driving a pusher prop. Yes, I accept that the vertical stabs. would need to be slightly further apart, but, other than that not much adjstment required.

This seems like a triumph of design over simple engineering, I await your reasoned response.

John
My reasoned response, after careful thought and consideration?
Pushers SUCK!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:33 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I know what you are saying, it's not for everyone, and it's not scale, but the idea is to extract the best possible performance out of this fan unit. There is just something intangible about the difference between a DF model and a prop job, on the surface, it's like "what's the difference", but in the air, to me, one is a jet and one is not, there is just a subtle difference that is difficult to explain. Prop jets do nothing for me at all, but even an externally mounted ducted fan like this gives me at least a LITTLE thrill!

By the way, they say the rudders are to be used as airbrakes on the box, does not mention it in the instructions, but I guess you just program it to splay both rudders out for airbrake...
Old 03-17-2006, 11:53 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with Easy,, but i hate modles that you have to donatte an arm and a leg to get so on the ducty
Old 03-17-2006, 11:55 AM
littlepiston

i bet i can make that engine turn close to 30k [X(] with a round lip in frount and a shot thrust tube Necked down in the back i bet it would be fun
Old 03-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

It could be more fun without................messy glow fuel!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
littlepiston

messy is my middle name or is it "i cant spell"?[:-]
Old 03-17-2006, 12:37 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Ah, but I love the noise and smell! To each his own. If you did an EDF conversion, you could easily sell the fan for $150-200. And it's the latest hottest version....
Old 02-18-2009, 04:57 PM
andy01423

hi

thought i would post here even though the thread has been inactive for a while,just recently bought a ducty 20 even though i couldnt find much info on it and no vids either.Had 4flights on it at the weekend the model got off the grass quite well when the ground was still a bit frozen but the fourth flight took about 8 attempts to get off the ground so model was nearly out of fuel buy the time it took flight.this is my first ducted fan type model always wanted to get into it,the max rpm measured was about 26340 before i backed the needle out about 3/4 of a turn like it says in the instructions but think its a bit too much as it sounds rich in flight,the model weighs about 2kg its not the fastest but it flies well and seems to have plenty of power.any way hope to get a better video soon a full flight from beginning to end,the only down side so far is the pull start broke (spring inside )but you can still get a starter cup on the front to start it.

andy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbBOPdPBZ_A
Old 03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
stall_warning

Anyone know the location of the balance point on a Ducty 20?

No instructions in the box.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
turboratt89

would love to have one of thoses in df version
Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: stall_warning

Anyone know the location of the balance point on a Ducty 20?

No instructions in the box.

Thanks
620mm from the nose, or about 8mm in front of the front DF retraining bolt.

Mike
Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 PM
stall_warning

Thanks for the info.
Haven't started the build yet, may attempt an electric conversion
Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 AM
POWER JET
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Guys

Decided to unpack one of my Ducty kits...really nice quality, light and well covered.
Pull start motor is an ABC, good pinch at the top.

First photos...

Dave Wilshere
Where can i find one of these Dave?do you know?