Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Somebody please help me understand something

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Maesin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody please help me understand something

I was at my local hobby shop today and I have narrowed my search down to the Losi XXX-4 or the Associated B44. Anyway, the shop owner helped me out with setting up a package and he said his Losi XXX-4 is equipped with a Tekin 10.5 system with a LiPo 4200 maH battery. I asked him about how fast it runs and he said the thing really flies, about 40 MPH. From glancing around the store, I see these Traxxas VXL models that claim to go 70+ MPH. I asked the guy about if that is because of the battery and he said that anything over 4000 maH is overkill.

Now I am new to this, so here is my question. Can I dish out in upwards of $800 for this Losi with the Tekin system and have somebody who drops $400 for the Traxxas just blow my doors off?

I do understand top end doesn't always mean much, but I am only going to run with a bunch of friends and most likely not much on the track.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Oh also, will I find more speed going to a 1/8 model rather than a 1/10 scale?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM
sloppyG

Default RE: Somebody please help me understand something

that traxxas stuff is only fast in a straight line
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 PM
deviltrigger529

What if all he is doing is drag racing? Then hes screwed lol.

It all depends on the battery, the more volts the more speed, and most of the traxxas stuff that claims that usually suffer from heat problems lol.

Also, what your shop said is retarded, you can never have too many mah, thats pretty much the gas tank for runtime although it does represent some to power, but thats a good thing.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I have come to the conclusion that anything faster than 40 is overkill unless your going in a strait line. Your not going to be able to turn at those speeds and need a very large smooth area to run in.

What are your friends running? Its cool to say your car goes 60+ but speed runs get old really quick. Plus if your crash at that speed.... Your car ends up looking like this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyCTDsoe9d4[/youtube]
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the traxxas vxls do go 60mph, 

BUT to get them there you have to run 

3s lipos 
stupid high gearing
different tyres (balanced)
different suspension settings

go for the xxx-4 and the tekin system (or mabye a cheaper race system)   trust me 40mph doesnt seem too much on paper but when its at your fingertips its pleeenty fast enough to do some serious lap times.

the xxx-4 is a good rc and the tekin 10.5t system is a top end product.

what he said about the batterys is true in a way because when racing you wont use over around 3000mah so with him saying anything over 4000mah is iverkill is correct.  BUT when in the bashing sense the more the mah the better.

Just makesure that when youre buying lipos, if youre going to go for 4000mah ones go for 25c+

Pretty much with lipos, just mack sure the batery can supply more amps than the power system requires.

the more the c rating the better power it will have.   eg. a 25c is better than 20c.   and a 35-40c battery is the best.

to find the amp rating of a battery you times the capacity by the c rating.  

eg a 4000mah 25c lipo will have      4.0 x 25 =100a
Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Eman77

Maesin - I agree with the posts above. One more thing to add - just because the Traxxas box says "70+ mph" and your Losi/AE setup is for 40, doesn't mean your Losi/AE CAN'T go 70+. It's not like your Losi/AE platform isn't capable of that speed, it's mostly the electronics involved.

So don't feel like your Losi/AE is inferior - it is not by any means. It's superior in fact (in my mind).

The MPH numbers on the Traxxas boxes is all marketing. Sure, it can hit that speed, but like others have said, you have to pour some $$ in there to get it.

I also agree that once you start going over 40 in an offroad vehicle, it's getting to the point of unusable. If you want to try speed runs for fun, that's cool. But if you're bashing around on a rough dirt/gravel/bumpy area just for fun, too much over 40 isn't reasonable. Your vehicle will get tossed all over the place even at 40.

Now if you're on a nice groomed smooth silky dirt track with tons of space, sure over 40 is fine. So I guess it depends on your bashing area too.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Maesin

Edit: Oh also, will I find more speed going to a 1/8 model rather than a 1/10 scale?

You can hit those high speeds with 1/8 as well, but 1/8 is a heavier vehicle, so it'll cost you more to get there. For electric anyway (no idea about nitro).

That said, I think 1/8 will handle it better.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're drag racing then anyone of the VXL cars or trucks will run away and leave you sit assuming they are running the 3S LiPo pack. On 2S it would be pretty close. Where the Losi will shine is on the tracks. No offroad car or truck will handle well at 70mph so I wouldn't put much thought into in unless you're simply bashing around on the street. If that's the case maybe the Losi or Assoc is not the correct choice for you.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 AM
Eman77

I think the key thing here is that a 3s Traxxas VXL will beat his 2S theoretical Losi with a Tekin 10.5, but that's the electronics doing it.

Put a 3s 3.5 BL setup in that Losi, and it's a different ballgame. I mean, heck, you can slap a monster BL setup in most any 4WD buggy (that can handle it) and reach ludicrous speed in no time and beat that Traxxas if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqbA...eature=related
Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 AM
ludeman

Please only buy the that tripple x if you are going to be racing. If you bash do not get that losi you will be very sorry trust me!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Eman77

Would somebody seriously recommend a Bandit over a Losi XXX-4? Seriously?

Would you recommend it over the B44 too?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM
sloppyG

I can't believe anyone would even consider the bandit, it doesn't even hide it's ancient tech under a nice looking body like the rustler or stampede... even the bandit body looks like it's from 1986
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 AM
GotNoRice

The MPH numbers on the Traxxas boxes is all marketing. Sure, it can hit that speed, but like others have said, you have to pour some $$ in there to get it.
Not really... All you have to do is drop in the high-speed pinion (which is included) and a 3s LiPo. The high-speed pinion is pretty tough on the motor but during actual high-speed runs it's not too bad due to all of the airflow over the motor. Just do NOT put in the high-speed pinion then bash on rough terrain, etc. Not saying OP should go traxxas, but anyone looking for good speed out of the box without a large financial investment should be able to achieve that with a traxxas car.

As far as battery capacity, I would agree that you probably wouldn't need more than 4000mah however be aware that the discharge rating of a battery is directly tied to it's capacity. People generally refer to a battery as a "20c" or a "30c", etc, but it is important to keep in mind that a 4000mah 20c battery will NOT have the same discharge as a 5000mah 20c battery, despite both being "20c". "20c" means 20 times the capacity, and 20 x 5000 is more than 20 x 4000, it's as simple as that.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 AM
hpiracr28

Yea i bought the traxxas bandit vxl. i've upgraded the battery to a 9.6v 5000mah nimh. it goes pretty fast (not sure of top speed, but a hell of a lot faster than the stock battery) in small areas and grass and dirt its hard to keep the front down on the ground. handling is ok. depends on the tires. i've got spiked rears and fronts and it handles awesome in the grass. if you got soft rubber tires on front and back it will handle great on the road. it can take a beating also. all in all, in my opinion, its a great r/c. but yes more volts=more power. i though my whole rc setup was good for a rtr buggy and bigger battery at $350
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

I can't believe anyone would even consider the bandit, it doesn't even hide it's ancient tech under a nice looking body like the rustler or stampede... even the bandit body looks like it's from 1986
Ironically, the Bandit's predecessor is more high tech and racy looking.
Oh, wait, it was a better performing, better built car that actually had some substantial track potential!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Maesin
I asked the guy about if that is because of the battery and he said that anything over 4000 maH is overkill.
As devil trigger said that is a stupid comment. I run 5000's, and 5200's don't find them over kill in the slightest.

Now I am new to this, so here is my question. Can I dish out in upwards of $800 for this Losi with the Tekin system and have somebody who drops $400 for the Traxxas just blow my doors off?
Yes it is possible if the bandit drivers really good, or you just suck at driving.

Yes, and no
the 1/8th will cost more though, and generally be way more reliable, and durable.
I find 1/10ths are cheaper, and can be made to go insanely fast for alot less than it would cost for a 1/8th.
Not to say 1/8ths can't go insanely fast, it just costs alot more cash to get the speed out of 1/8th than 1/10th