Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

blackjack melting wire connections

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

blackjack melting wire connections

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 AM
somethin else
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blackjack melting wire connections

need some help. running a stock blackjack on 5400mah 7.4v thunder lipo packs and a octura x-642 prop de tongued and balanced. I get about 5 min of use before the positive lead heading to the esc de-solderes itself. Any ideas here? It has done this 2 times now. I am curious about the prop needing too much power to turn but it seems this is the prop to use based on feedback on this site. I solder a new traxxis connector on every time this happens and same deal.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Default RE: blackjack melting wire connections

642- too much, try a Octura 440-less pitch -less 2mm on size. Reason for 440 is you typed, it took 5 minute to burn off lead . Depends whether your after speed or runtime! Many older boaters started out with nimH where runtimes were short. Many dumped nimH for lipos as they thought lipos would fill the gap ( runtime ) and they are tired of changing nimH every 3 minutes and they considered a pain in the ***. Priorities by each boater is the key. True about 3.5 connectors and solder. Leaded solder i found left the iron with less black residue than nonleaded solder. Silver solder with the cleaner that comes with it seems to work out right. True about bl motor running at parttime throttle, WOT or no WOT! Forgot, maybe your esc has 12 gauge wire and lipos have 14 gauge wire and i bet the red led power wire is the one that burns off. That means the esc needs more juice and can't get it and creates heat. I've been there on brushed motors where the red led wire on motor burns off and leaves you stranded in the water. That's all folks!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

The x642 is not to much prop for the system. I have ran larger props on that motor/esc many times. Even ran a x642 of 5s for while. The problem is

1) run time is too long for any FE boat. Try cutting down to 3-4 minutes
2) make sure you are running wide open throttle as much as possible, many people think running half throttle is better when it is actually much MUCH worse. The esc is a switch either on (full throttle) or off, running wide open will reduce the heat in your setup.
3) change the 3.5mm bullet connections over to 5.5mm bullets (very important)
4) sounds like you have already done it, butdeans connectors suck in FE

*Just my opinions but like I said Ihave run that setup many times with no issue on 4s and 5s.

Another question is what type of solder are you using? Lead free solder sucks (JMO), and maybe a possible cause on top of other things.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM
somethin else

I was using 30c thunder power 2s packs each time, as for solder I used electronics grade. I am tempted to try to braise with silver solder/ mapp gas. I don't run at wot alot just bursts. The boat likes to get squirrely at wot and some chop, so I watch it at high speed. Might try a smaller prop since I will not be keeping it floored
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Diesel6401

The CF props work really good for sport boating and there only like $5 each. Nice for casual runs. If your not running WOT to much proping down would help a lot as well. Try a CF40, or if you have some extra money a m440. One thing that helped my BJ out a lot was I removed the battery trays and mounted the batts directly to the sponsons. Helped get the boat a lower CG and stopped it from trying to rollover to much in the turns. Helped me alot. Just a thought.
ORIGINAL: somethin else

I was using 30c thunder power 2s packs each time, as for solder I used electronics grade. I am tempted to try to braise with silver solder/ mapp gas. I don't run at wot alot just bursts. The boat likes to get squirrely at wot and some chop, so I watch it at high speed. Might try a smaller prop since I will not be keeping it floored
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
somethin else

I will give the diff props a shot. I forgot to mention that I also am running the fullers drive setup. What a big diff with that drive! Big $$ but worth it
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Diesel6401

Yea that makes a big help. I ran that on my BJ as well. Take the turn fins off, you would be surprised that it helps.

I will give the diff props a shot. I forgot to mention that I also am running the fullers drive setup. What a big diff with that drive! Big $$ but worth it
Old 03-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Rokcney

I would like to say a couple things about you wires burning off. You should make sure you have not developed any binding of your flex shaft or prop shaft. That will send the amp draw up in a hurry.
Iv'e quite a bit of Black Jack 26 runtime, and I can't stress enough what another member comented on cutting out the battery bays to lower the center of gravity on that narrow beamed rig. I call it " Desquirling the Flipper" , it's well worth it. You will be able to run it WOT without fear of flipping.
I run an Aquacraft 2030kv motor and 2 5000mah lipo's in series, 42 by 55mm Grim Racer prop. It scoots pretty good, and I get at least 6 to 8 minutes of run time. You really should shelf the NiMH's. It's gonna run alot better just by doing that. I have never burned any wires. My batt's come with 10 AWG wires. Hope this helps you.
Happy boating Rokcney.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Rokcney

Sorry, I missed the part about you running lipo's. My bad. Rokcney
Old 03-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Diesel6401

Sound like you have a nice running blackjack. I have owned 2 of them sold them both. I bought both used, first one I was going to do a twin after being inspired by this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFdO...el_video_titlethen I funded a different project instead and sold it to help fund it. Then I got a second one which was really REALLY nice and setup it up with a nice 2000kv outrunner, had a fullers outdrive on it and I did some other stuff to it. Sold it once again to fund a different project. I sell a lot of boats lol....

ORIGINAL: Rokcney
I run an Aquacraft 2030kv motor and 2 5000mah lipo's in series, 42 by 55mm Grim Racer prop. It scoots pretty good, and I get at least 6 to 8 minutes of run time.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Rokcney

Hey D6401, That was a pretty impressive BlackJack twin. Unfortunatley for me, I run in LA, californa, and the few places that have glass type conditions they don't allow anyone to have that much fun. Meaning it's a $400+ ticket. So I'm stuck with less desireable conditions.
I also have a UL 1, and an Aeromarine Laminates Meanmachine cat, converted to electric. Castle 1518 1Y 1800kv 120amp, spinning a prather 245 prop. I'm guessing around 60mph. I have to find me a pond out in the sticks.
Let me know what you are playing with. Good talking with you, Rokcney.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 AM
somethin else

The youtube vid of the twin is SICK! love it
Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Diesel6401

The builder is Mudl, guy makes some of the sickest boats. He has a Twin Genesis that is Bad***** as well!.

The youtube vid of the twin is SICK! love it
Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Diesel6401

MM's are some Great running hulls. I am sure that thing runs GREAT!

Been working on a HK Vanquish 40" mono latley, taking all my funds lol. I had to sell 2 boats to keep this project going.

http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/...ats/?start=all

http://www.youtube.com/user/Diesel6401?feature=mhum
ORIGINAL: Rokcney

Hey D6401, That was a pretty impressive BlackJack twin. Unfortunatley for me, I run in LA, californa, and the few places that have glass type conditions they don't allow anyone to have that much fun. Meaning it's a $400+ ticket. So I'm stuck with less desireable conditions.
I also have a UL 1, and an Aeromarine Laminates Meanmachine cat, converted to electric. Castle 1518 1Y 1800kv 120amp, spinning a prather 245 prop. I'm guessing around 60mph. I have to find me a pond out in the sticks.
Let me know what you are playing with. Good talking with you, Rokcney.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 PM
TFLHOBBY-Candy

Crazy news:

Genesis can run 134km/h

welocme to visit the vedio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2btz85GIah4