Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Question for first truck

Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 PM
sloppyG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question for first truck

the manuals for most of the good ones do a good job of explaining it
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maintaining them is pretty straight forward. Take the bearings out, clean and oil them once a month or after every time you run in the rain or mud. A drop of light oil on every metal part is also a good idea about once a month.

If you're dealing with brushed motors then pulling the motor and cleaning it every couple of runs is pretty standard. Oiling the bushings every run or two is also a good idea.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
ZeroKelvin
Banned

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

you may want to price check things next time you're shopping because all those options I listed are $200, if your local shop is charging $250 you may want to start shopping somewhere else

$200 is plenty for an RTR AE vehicle
My mistake. That's a good price. I honestly didn't know they came that cheap.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Evil Genius jr.

Thanks you are right everthing is in the manuals.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM
msdtyu

to be honist the duratrax evader ext is a great truck for a beginer i purchased one because i have been wanting a st and for the money its pretty good quality, more then i was expecting anyway
Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
esavagenoobie

go with a 2wd pede or rustler, for under 200 you cannot beat the price, nor the after market support. And when you get bored of them, yo can always make them into a pede, bandit, slash or ruslter..
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
cumquat

get the evader. its tough, zippy stock and can take brushless with no upgrades other than the motor/esc itself. stock it does 20 on a 7.2 volt pack. if anyone tells you it doesnt have parts availability, call them idiots and ignore them because duratrax is OWNED BY HOBBYCO which is the company that was started when tower hobbies and great planes merged.
here is their page http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXAAMW**&P=0
Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Evil Genius jr.

which evader do you recommend evader isn't there allot of them? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:00 AM
cumquat

ext2 and dt are the only 2 still in production. i have never even seen the dt in person but i have 2 ext2s and i got started with the ext 3 years ago and would still have it if i wasnt an idiot. i say get the ext2 because its plenty fast and durable out of the box and WAY more adjustable than the rustler and $50 less for $100 more truck on the track should you choose to try racing in the near future. the aftermarket isnt huge but there is 2 ways to look at that; 1) it isnt popular enough to have golden horizon, rpm, integy, etc. support or 2) it is good enough that it doesnt NEED aftermarket (i follow number 2). if you want some aluminum/graphite for it there is some factory support and you can find some other stuff that is direct fit from companies like t-bone racing and some stuff for the losi xx series will fit it (because the ex series of evaders are based on the xx).
Old 03-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Evil Genius jr.

Is that ultimate hobbies site at the beginning any good because they have the evader ext2 for $95.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 AM
cumquat

that's where i got mine! after a while you will want more speed out of the truck, i am running one of these http://www.hobbypartz.com/car.html with one of these http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html its good for at least 30 with stock gearing and nothing really gets warm, even when i take it hill climbing!
the stock tires work best in loose dirt but are very durable so they will take the street with little to no wear noticeable.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Evil Genius jr.

Ok I will keep that one in mind. I found a traxxas slash for cheap. How do the two compare?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: Evil Genius jr.

Is that ultimate hobbies site at the beginning any good because they have the evader ext2 for $95.
I've bought multiple RC's from them, never had an issue and their pricing is usually pretty good, often they're the cheapest place around
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Evil Genius jr.

OK Thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 AM
cumquat

Ok I will keep that one in mind. I found a traxxas slash for cheap. How do the two compare?
never driven one. i have issues with traxxas (mainly some traxxas owners) that i wont discuss, but the slash is like most of their products; overpriced for what you get, incompetent on the track (anyone who says the win with a traxxas are either A) full of it, B) racing against other traxxas rc's C) racing against drivers more interested in crashing or dont know throttle control, D) can race a toy grade against an rc12r5 and win by 5 laps or E) got very lucky), is sold by gimicks and sold to people who dont know much about the hobby.

getting a traxxas isnt the absolute worst thing you can do, espesially with parts support (you can quite literally go to pep boys, get spark plugs for you car/truck and a shock tower for you truck).

ALL COMMENT IN THIS POST ARE MY OPINIONS. I AM IN NO WAY CLAIMING MY OPINIONS ARE FACT. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY OPINION, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Evil Genius jr.

I found it for the some price as the evader. It is used but in good condition. Is that a good deal?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM
cumquat

there is a rule of thumb i this hobby, never buy used the first time. this rule was started with nitro but it has translated to all aspects of the hobby. the reason is that you never what could be wrong with it.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Evil Genius jr.

It was barely used and in working condition but is it still definitely not worth it. I am not arguing with you I am just wondering.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Evil Genius jr.

I read somewhere that duratrex will replace any part that breaks in the first year. Is this true?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
cumquat

I read somewhere that duratrex will replace any part that breaks in the first year. Is this true?
yeah, thats the stress-tech Guarantee. i have never broken a part so i have never used it.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Evil Genius jr.

OK. I am still undecided on which car to get but I will probably be ordering one tomorrow.