Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

li po battery with vintage ESC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 PM
flopstocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default li po battery with vintage ESC

Hello all,

I used to race rc cars just over 10 years ago, and my old buggy (RC10B3) has been in the loft ever since. I have recently taken it out again, and found the battery packs would no longer charge. I bought a cheap 3800MAH stick pack from hong kong, but after charging the car is very slow. I decided to replace the armature, and motor brushes still no difference. The motor is a 10 double.

Last night my mate came up and I showed him how slow the car was, at the same time I managed to get the car wet by driving into a puddle. Hesuggested I'd try his li po packjust to see if it went faster (never had a stabiliser fitter just wanted a quick blip to see how the motor performed). Plugged the li po into my ESC (Tekin 410k) turned on and the car went flat out, and I had no control. Luckily I was holding the car but the tryre burn't the skin on my hand. The tyres came flying off and ripped lol never seen that in the old days.

Now when I plug the old battery in the car is doing the same thing (going flat out). Do you think the Li po has damaged the ESC, or could it just be wet?

Regards

Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
GotNoRice

Default RE: li po battery with vintage ESC

I don't see how the Lipo could have damaged the ESC.  Although keep in mind that a fully charged 2s will be around 8.4v even though people commonly refer to the packs as 7.4v packs.  8.4v still should not have been an issue for even an older ESC.

The biggest issue will be using some sort of low-voltage cutoff or warning for the LiPos.  Luckily you can get cheap LiPo alarms on ebay for about $3 each that plug directly into the balance connector of the LiPo and are completely independent of the ESC.  As long as you were using something like that, you should be okay.

I've run a few 2s Lipos in toy-grade Tyco cars using this method before lol
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 AM
mudbucket72

make sure u have the transmitter and receiver getting power if not it can cause you car to take off also make sure your getting good signal
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Ttowntoolman

Sounds like a wet reciever not an ESC problem.