Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

MACHINED INTAKE MANIFOLD

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

MACHINED INTAKE MANIFOLD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 AM
MKMotorsport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MACHINED INTAKE MANIFOLD

The stock plastic iso blocks are junk! I have taken ones off new never run motors that were already warped. Toasted an engine due to detonation, later found out the iso block was seriously warped, letting enough unmetered air in that the engine was running too lean.

I use aluminum iso blocks on all my non QD engines now. At least when run with the teflon gaskets, they come back ice cold!, bag after bag of fuel, even in 100deg heat in the summer. I wouldn't have belived it either had I not seen it myself. No need for a water cooled iso block, lol....
Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted why bother posting everyone is a expert most have no actual experience with water cooled intakes -

stick 2 engines in a enclosed hatch (with exhaust inside too) in 38C+ heat and tell me how cold your intake is - little diff in open top boats with ton's of fresh air

They are made by MHZ for their enclosed hatch boats (if u actually ask them) but then what would MHZknow about boats .............

experts ...........lol

Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

Deleted why bother posting everyone is a expert most have no actual experience with water cooled intakes -

stick 2 engines in a enclosed hatch (with exhaust inside too) in 38C + heat and tell me how cold your intake is - little diff in open top boats with ton's of fresh air

They are made by MHZ for their enclosed hatch boats (if u actually ask them) but then what would MHZ know about boats .............

experts ...........lol

Really no need for the attitude [] ..... all we collectively are doing is talking. In conditions where you need to find EVERY HELP you can, we all tend to do so.
But when what we hope to achieve is supported by actual in the trenches data whats brought to light has a lot of times little to do with hype of a so called fix.
A REALLY hot environment has the fuel, carberation, air temps under deck all pushing extremes and any and all options that together may help should be explored.

Nuf said ....
Old 03-30-2011, 02:48 AM
pyro1

Absolutly Scott.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Nosedragger

You can't deny that they won't warp,crack, or have bushings pull through. Those problems are the reason for using them.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 PM
mistycreekboats

[/quote]

Really no need for the attitude [] ..... all we collectively are doing is talking. In conditions where you need to find EVERY HELP you can, we all tend to do so.
But when what we hope to achieve is supported by actual in the trenches data whats brought to light has a lot of times little to do with hype of a so called fix.
A REALLY hot environment has the fuel, carberation, air temps under deck all pushing extremes and any and all options that together may help should be explored.

Nuf said ....
[/quote]

And really no need for You to critize me - as here you are a basic member ............. your comments added nothing except for the puffing up of your chest

Nuf said ....................
Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 AM
bruce5385

where can i find an aluminum intake? cant seem to find them. thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Nosedragger

ORIGINAL: bruce5385

where can i find an aluminum intake? cant seem to find them. thanks
most of the parts guys have them CC has them
but don't waste your time they are just bling the brass inserts never pull out
Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 AM
advanced builder

I was watching Hydro foils of America last night. They race and they had Vapor-lock on them engines. the fuel lines ran close to the very-hot engine block. the tuning pipes were huge. Talk about a noisy hobby. Looked like a blast.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 AM
pyro1

Warehouse Hobbies sell them too. $ 21.95
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 AM
bruce5385

thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Scott Schneider

Nuf said ....
And really no need for You to critize me - as here you are a basic member ............. your comments added nothing except for the puffing up of your chest

Nuf said ....................[img][/img]
[/quote]
Randy,
Your skins too thin ....
If constructive information that must be put in perspective based upon ones own need or application ruffles your feathers, sorry.
Near 35 years of witnessing many a snake oil quick fix, understanding the dynamics of cause and effect dealing with any such troubles get far better cures when having knowledge, bolting on a band-aid may help ... or not.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM
mistycreekboats

It has nothing to do with my skin being thin - if someone does something that (in your view) does not work - then it must be wrong, a band aid or just a waste of time. SO as usual is someones disagrees out comes the Scott legacy - with the Nuff said to follow - truly a legend in toy boats

I'm not stupid (I'm a engineer and manage Health and Safety for 22 compaies in 2provinces)and have been dealing with engines formany years myself.

A small engine mechanic may be rare in Cal but not here - we make our living with them - as I did for many years logging.

The condesending attitude of many of the racers is EXACTLY why many sport boats guys don't join your clubs. Many ofthe racersare lengends in your own mind.

Obviously no reason for me to post anymore as - I'm just stupid and waste time on ideas. ....................... glad I'm working next on a 10k blown alcohol engine for one of my brothers customers and not a toy boat " I don't know anything about those"

Nuff Said

Last Post ..................................... Done

Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Fuel Crazy

ORIGINAL: Slow Motion

to make the best power in a typical v8 4 stroke engine you need to keep the gas as cold as possible. thats because the gas is being stored in the carb fuel bowls dirrectly above the rising heat of the motor. the hood of the car is holding all that heat in.
i don't think cooling the int. isolator on our boat engines can hurt but the air and fuel is moving through the carb and int. so fast at 18K+ that there is no time for the fuel to warm or cool before its burned and gone. we arent holding our fuel in heated float bowls. even at a 5K idle speed the fuel and air will stay well atomized by the thrashing crank counterweights. keep your boat fuel as cool as you can in the jerry can and the boat and it will be fine. the big advantage to aluminum isolators is they dont warp and cause air leaks. and with the isolating teflon gaskets the carbs dont get heat soaked while the engine is shut down and possibly cause hard restarts. cool the intake if you want but it wont make more power in our little boat engines and can be another source of water leaks.
INDEED.

Take it for what its worth... since everyone knows i know nothing about building, tuning or running boats... i tried water cooled ISO blocks a couple years ago, in conjunction with testing water cooled fuel blocks, and they did nothing for performance. Maybe on a dyno, run after run after run it might have shown to help in making consistent power... but on the water, there was no gain shown.

The problem i see with getting a watercooled iso block to work, is if you can get enough flow through it, and actually get it cold enough... you are gonna have condensation forming on it. Water droplets mixing with the air/fuel mix does not help in making power.

As for the aftermarket iso blocks just being "bling"..... i for one, would listen to people who actually run boats, not just HAVE them. Second.. stock iso blocks are fine for a while, as long as you never take it off, or never get the engine up to optimal running temp. The first time you take a stock isoblock off... it will warp itself just taking the screws out. And alot of times...they come brand new in the package warped.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Scott Schneider

Some where you got a bug up your ass that has nothing to do with your poop slinging going on here ... we do hope you get that looked at, life's too short getting your panties in a twist over toy boats. [:@]

It has nothing to do with my skin being thin - if someone does something that (in your view) does not work - then it must be wrong, a band aid or just a waste of time. SO as usual is someones disagrees out comes the Scott legacy - with the Nuff said to follow - truly a legend in toy boats

I'm not stupid (I'm a engineer and manage Health and Safety for 22 compaies in 2 provinces) and have been dealing with engines for many years myself.

A small engine mechanic may be rare in Cal but not here - we make our living with them - as I did for many years logging.

The condesending attitude of many of the racers is EXACTLY why many sport boats guys don't join your clubs. Many of the racers are lengends in your own mind.

Obviously no reason for me to post anymore as - I'm just stupid and waste time on ideas. ....................... glad I'm working next on a 10k blown alcohol engine for one of my brothers customers and not a toy boat '' I don't know anything about those''

Nuff Said

Last Post ..................................... Done