Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

LIPO !!!! CHANCES OF EXPLODING ??? :0

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LIPO !!!! CHANCES OF EXPLODING ??? :0

I balance every charge, and check beforehand each time. I have a Blinky that I use for it, and now have a balancing charger too, so it's automatic for me.

I actually thought you had to balance every charge - dunno why I'd wait 8 runs to check if things are out of whack, when it's so easy to do it every time (for my setup anyway).
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Gooseman240

People seem to forget how much bouncing around and hard jolts they get when going full bore across the pavement, gravel, grass, dirt. Normal electronics and wiring will rub if not secured correctly or as pointed out battery does not fit correctly in tray. Also, Hot and cold swings will also cause the coating on plastics to crack unexpectedly.

This winter, my booster cable that was rated to -50 C the wire plastic cracked. 1 year old. Payed good money for that damn thing....

I win, user abuse!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
g6rcteam

to all im no expert but someone on here said its very hard to damage the lipo batts and make them catch fire this info is not tru at all one drop one time on the floor and it gets a dent that may not look like anything is wrong but can cause a fire short or damage to electronics this is the case with most if not all lipo fires and p.s most times it hapens when the batt gets hot and the expansionlets the parts inside to touch and arc a study conducted at our local airplane field showed that out of 20 guys 19 had lipo fires at least once 2 in the plane all the rest while charging the lesson learnd do not charge un attended and always use fire proof box to charge in ask chip hyde he lost his house on another note on a documentary i saw about americas fight with drugs crystal meth has the same propertys as nickle metal hydride and lipoly batts and the meth labs blow up all the time ! just some info from someone who hasnt had a lipo fire stay safe
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
hpiracr28

from what i have heard about lipo batteries, is that they can be dangerous, but that depends on how you treat and charge them. i mean if you beat them and charge wrong, yea ur gonna have an issue. i have not yet purchased any lipo's or equipment and don't really plan on it. yes i kno everyone says they are so much better and lighter. ive got a 9.6v nimh 5000mah and its PLENTY for my bandit vxl. i have a hard enough time keeping the wheels down even with the extra weight f a cell. im satisfied and it makes me happy. and i have a 13 month old who gets into everything so the fact that i can plug and charge without worrying about shorting or over charging (i have a peak detecter) is good. all in all, just read about charging, blancing, storing, and running lipos before purchasing. they tend to need a little more responsibility than just plugging in a nimh and leaving it.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: g6rcteam

to all im no expert but someone on here said its very hard to damage the lipo batts and make them catch fire this info is not tru at all one drop one time on the floor and it gets a dent that may not look like anything is wrong but can cause a fire short or damage to electronics this is the case with most if not all lipo fires and p.s most times it hapens when the batt gets hot and the expansion lets the parts inside to touch and arc a study conducted at our local airplane field showed that out of 20 guys 19 had lipo fires at least once 2 in the plane all the rest while charging the lesson learnd do not charge un attended and always use fire proof box to charge in ask chip hyde he lost his house on another note on a documentary i saw about americas fight with drugs crystal meth has the same propertys as nickle metal hydride and lipoly batts and the meth labs blow up all the time ! just some info from someone who hasnt had a lipo fire stay safe
do you have to have lost the fight against crystal meth to be able to read this post?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
planedriver_2

For some unknown reason we had a Nickle Metal Hydrid Pack actually Explode this past weekend. All my years of using batteries in this hobby i haven't seen any packs do that, Nih Mih, Ni Cad, Lipo, A123. Lithium Ion, Ect. That was some strange deal.
I didn't get into the facts of why, but when that thing went off it got everones attention. That was a hell of a BANG !!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM
g6rcteam

from what i hear your batt somehow got pressure from the gas expansion when it finally blew out it bang then fire we had a habu do that in the air not much of a bang but foam burns great!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 PM
g6rcteam

dont know ? just saw it and said wow sounds like whats in our batts
Old 03-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Gooseman240

from what i hear your batt somehow got pressure from the gas expansion when it finally blew out it bang then fire we had a habu do that in the air not much of a bang but foam burns great!

Now that would be great to have on a vid!!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

LOL, the hardcase on a LiPo does not suppress fire.

LOL You're wrong. The hard case suppresses DAMAGE which prevents (or suppresses) the possibility of fire.

RJ
Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: rowdyjoe

LOL You're wrong. The hard case suppresses DAMAGE which prevents (or suppresses) the possibility of fire.

RJ
prevention does not mean the same thing as suppression
Old 03-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Access

People, once there is a fire / burst / explosion, the hard case is not going to help. In fact it could become heated shrapnel, increasing the damage done rather than abating it.

The idea behind the hard case is to offer some protection against impalement, impact, and the like.

In reality, non-removable hard cases are a mixed bag because while they offer some protection against these things, they also conceal the state of the battery and could lead to doing something dangerous like attempting to charge a semi-puffed or semi-ballooned battery.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
warbird addict

The solution is simple READ and HEED the supplied info pamphlet supplied with the pack it's there to keep you out of trouble, step outside of those guidleines for safe use and you take your chances, think about it a Grenade is harmless tilll you pull the pin and let the bail fly at which point you better damn well know the fuse timing

ORIGINAL: dirt kicker

hi there

i have orded a flightmax 20c 2s 5000 hard case lipo , but dont have lipo guard charge packs !!!!!

ive heard these things can explode and cause fire !!!!!

can i charge it without charge sacks ? or is REEEEAAAALLLY !!!! neseccery to have them

i have a turnigy accucel 6 charger
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

to all im no expert but someone on here said its very hard to damage the lipo batts and make them catch fire this info is not tru at all one drop one time on the floor and it gets a dent that may not look like anything is wrong but can cause a fire short or damage to electronics this is the case with most if not all lipo fires and p.s most times it hapens when the batt gets hot and the expansion lets the parts inside to touch and arc a study conducted at our local airplane field showed that out of 20 guys 19 had lipo fires at least once 2 in the plane all the rest while charging the lesson learnd do not charge un attended and always use fire proof box to charge in ask chip hyde he lost his house on another note on a documentary i saw about americas fight with drugs crystal meth has the same propertys as nickle metal hydride and lipoly batts and the meth labs blow up all the time ! just some info from someone who hasnt had a lipo fire stay safe
do you have to have lost the fight against crystal meth to be able to read this post?
Punctuation... its what makes internet communication possible. I got about half way through a run on sentence, and fell asleep. [:@]
Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I love it.somebody says I dont need no stinkin' lipo bag and wont get one ..most sane and rational folks would disagree.as for reallllly needing one.its sort of like jumping out an airplane without a parachute..you can jumpp but the landing will likely killyou but if you had a parachute you'll likely live to fly another day.

I have used lipos almost 5 years without incident.but that doesnt mean I can do whatever I want.as long as you respect them for what could happen and do things by the book they are perfectly safe ..I also store them in a fireproof safe..and when I charge them I am always where I can visually them and take precautions to ensure that if the unthinkable occurs I dont burn my house up or ruin my vehicle.the fires are bad and sometimes with tragic consequences but used properly with the appropriate chargers they are safe.

a lipo sack or cermaic container etc is CHEAP insurance.JUSTDO IT !!!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Habu will not "explode".
ORIGINAL: rowdyjoe

RJ
You have obviously never seen a hardcase lipo burn. It doesn't suppress or prevent ANYTHING.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:58 PM
AraTidwell

Look, it DOES happen. I think it is less likely with modern lipo's but I have seen no stastics to support such claim. They do appear to still sometimes catch fire in-flight or in-use as I have seen several fairly recent videos of such happening.

It is probably a good idea to charge them outside or on the concrete floor of a garage away from the walls. I sometimes charge my name brand lipo at 1C inside but its probably a bad idea. I always charge the Chinese bargian lipo outside (which by the way seems to be holding up great).

I still think, even with modern lipos it is idiotic to charge them inside. I sort of understand if you live in a second story apartment, but then you are just putting more people at risk. I park my car outside my front door and use my car battery as a 12v power source. I have considered getting some "jumper cables" as an extension so I don't burn up the front of my car if one does catch fire... but my car is worth $5K my house and everything in it is worth a lot more.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

A "fire" and an "explosion" are two different things. He asked how likely it was for a LiPo to explode. His question was answered.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it exploded it will go off like a grenade blasting everything out of its way but a fire is no different to a camp fire. So no they don't explode.
If anyone can help me with this, i have a laptop with 11.1v li ion battery, its been used the whole day and the battery is a bit hot. Never been hot before. The bottom of the lap top is also warm. Is it a heating issue or battery issue. I am letting it cool now. If i charge it and it takes alot less time does that mean it's overused? thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 AM
dirt kicker

i know when i use my laptop battery for a long time , it got REALLY hot , i suggest you let it cool for a while and use it on a counter or desk where the fan can breath freely , so it gets air flow , my laptop died a few months ago , but now i have dell inspirion one , 23'' screen !! , AWESOME TO PLAY CLEARVIEW ON !!! hahaha
Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

I love it.somebody says I dont need no stinkin' lipo bag and wont get one ..most sane and rational folks would disagree.as for reallllly needing one.its sort of like jumping out an airplane without a parachute..you can jumpp but the landing will likely killyou but if you had a parachute you'll likely live to fly another day.

I have used lipos almost 5 years without incident.but that doesnt mean I can do whatever I want.as long as you respect them for what could happen and do things by the book they are perfectly safe ..I also store them in a fireproof safe..and when I charge them I am always where I can visually them and take precautions to ensure that if the unthinkable occurs I dont burn my house up or ruin my vehicle.the fires are bad and sometimes with tragic consequences but used properly with the appropriate chargers they are safe.

if you've been using lipo for 5 years, and haven't had any issues yet, don't you think you may just not need the lipo bag and safe?

they're friggin RC car batteries, not bombs
Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 AM
rayndog3

if you've been using lipo for 5 years, and haven't had any issues yet, don't you think you may just not need the lipo bag and safe?

I'm new to lipo batts, I did buy a lipo bag when I bought the charger and batt but haven't used the bag yet, really no need to as far as I can see.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 AM
The Hedgehog

Maybe electric R/C isn't for a lot of people. Wind-up power FTW!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yah dangerous batteries! Don't respect them and see what happens when your house burns down. it's happened before.... You have to be responsible with these batteries PERIOD!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rayndog3

I'm new to lipo batts, I did buy a lipo bag when I bought the charger and batt but haven't used the bag yet, really no need to as far as I can see.
So you bought the Lipo Safe bag but you don't use it? Wow no need as far as you can see? HAHA Ok keep thinking that, I hope for your sake you never have a fire because when it does go up in flames and you have no way to contain the fire and it spreads you will WISH you would have used the bag you bought...just sayin....if you bought it why don;t you use it? I'll take it if you don;t want it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.