Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gruman Ag-Cat

Old 03-26-2011, 06:10 AM
bh307
My Feedback: (143)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gruman Ag-Cat

will a O.S. FR5-300 Sirius fly this plane ok it is 49.75 cc
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
WRAM
My Feedback: (8)

For the original size Ag plan at 90" the Sirius will be ok  for the enlarged plans I have 33% at 141" or 30% at 128" the radial willbe needed.
Hope this helps
Regards,
Danny
Old 03-27-2011, 01:15 PM
bh307

I am doing the DH agcat 104" wingspan. How much you asking for the 33% plans
Thanks
Billy
Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
WR450
My Feedback: (66)

Hi everone I order one of Duane Agcat 104in I will install a moki 150 on it.I run a moki 215 on my pitts M12 that is about the same size as the agcat the plane is about 42lbs I was runnining the 150 on it but needed a little more power so I install the 215.The 150 will fly the agcat just fine should come out to about 35 to 40 lbs, Duane called and said plane should be ready in about 2 weeks .
Thanks for post wr450
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please post pictures if you can as I'm sure we're all interested in seeing your progress.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM
anothercrashpilot

I SECOND THAT ! ! ! !
Pics Please ! ! ! !
.................................. I Call them "MOTIVATIONAL"................[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=49_49.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
WR450

As soon as I recive the Agcat I will take some pic;s of it.I recived a e-mail asking what the agcat cost was they are 900.00 plus shipping I sent Duane 400.00 down .He has to help his son with his trucking company for about 2weeks so I should recive the agcat med april I hope.Duane has been realy good he calls all the time to keep you posted an ask how you would like some of the things done.I had him add the upper servo pockets to the top wing so I will have 4 servo for the alirons otherwise there is a slve rod to the top wing alirons man I can;t wait for it to get here got my paint and all the servos ready.I will install a 150 moki radial in it 28x12 prop and a smoke system I had the 150 in a 33%yak but lost the plane (ran out of gas) having tomuch fun didn;t keep a eye on the time.If you e-mail Duane he can send pic;s of the proto type he built looks real nice.
thanks wr450
Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
bh307

Wr450 glad yours is almost done so he can start on my ,he told me he had one ahead of me he was finishing,and also you got a good deal my was 950.00 plus shipping and a 500.00 deposit.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:18 PM
rychaross

I wanted to send out a GREAT BIG TEXAS YEEHAW to all of my cropdusting buddies. It's been a while since I've been on this thread but I haven't neglected it. I just haven't had anything to write about, but now I see where you guys are buying the DH-Agcat. Remeber me, I have the prototype and worked with Duane verbally over the phone and did some brainstorming with my old buddy about certain specifications and other miscellanious input. But really; it was all Duane on perfecting the overall and final outcome of this wonderful awesome looking flying machine. I can tell you now in the year that I have flown mine at Big Bird Fly-In events it has alway been the center of attention due to the fact that #1 the full size Agcat is not commonly seen except for certain farming areas. #2 I can just about bet you that you haven't seen many or by that fact "ANY" Grumman Agcats at any RC Fly-ins. Oh the neat & wonderful stories I have heard from full size agcat pilots about they're moments and the wonderful memories they have made in this incredible machine that Grumman produced. I've spent hours upon hours at fly-ins talking about how this project came to be and also how the pilots described to me in detail of how the plane taxis, rolls out for take off and how the tail is flying in no time and how the plane is such a dream to fly. I've even heard incredible stories of near miss crashes and crashes and how the grumman agcat saved there lives because it was/is a tough airplane. That is tradition with Grumman. They built tough hard to shoot down fighters such as the F3F Wildcat, F6F Hellcat-"The Ace Maker" and the Beautiful F8F Bearcat which I'm restoring a "Ziroli" Bearcat at this moment. I believe I have the only flying DH-Agcat now. Come on guys. Those of you who have them lets get them "spray duster/bombers" in the air. I'm getting pretty lonely up there all by myself. Oh sure you do see the Pawnee's, Agwagons, 502's and they are magnificant. I love all agricultural planes. BUT NOW IS THE TIME FOR THE AGE OF THE GRUMMAN AGCAT!!!!!!!!! Oh, and if you're flying higher than the trees.......You're still a rookie. Spraying for pine beetles don't count!!! LOL Take care to all of my pals. CROPDUSTERS TO THE RESCUE........POWDER IT UPPPPPPPPPP.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
WR450

Hi rychaross Duane gave me your e-mail to ask you about the elevator and aliron movement how much did you use, also is the C/G close to the plans.I will be installing a moki radial 5cly. 150cc engine 10lbs Duane said they need a lot of nose weight.
thanks wr450
Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM
rychaross

Oh man is that ever going to look and sound AWESOME. I want to put a radial on mine BIG TIME. Hopefully in the future - Ho Hum.... The engine I have on my agcat weights right at 5 lbs and I added another 4 lbs to the engine box to balance the plane. I don't see a problem at all installing the 10 lbs Moki. I would think you won't have to add any additional weight at all which is great. I have the Ailerons set oh high rates at 100% and low rates are set at 60%. Elevator high rates are set as high as your radio will go. For my radio which is a "Spectrum DX7 goes up to 125%. You'll never use all of it except for taxing on and off of the runway but it does give you a level off comfort coming in for slow approaches on landings. Elevator low rates are set at 70%. Experiment with these setting as you perform test flights and tweak the adjustments as you go. I don't fly with any expo. For me; I like to feel every move I make in real time. That's just me. To each his own I always say. I found the "CG" to be 7" from the leading edge of the top wing. It should be about the same for all of the DH-Agcats. Feel Free to contact me anytime. Oh, and post some pictures of the Moki engine so that I can dream. LOL and also some pics of the building progress. Till next time.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM
outacontrol41

@rychaross

You are talking about your 90'' ws version you added 4 lbs of weight to to make it balance?

I'm going to use an O.S. Sirrus radial 5 cyl....how much weight do you think I'll have to add to the firewall?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 PM
rychaross

I'm guessing the O.S. 5 cylinder weights around 5.25 lbs. I ended up adding 3 lbs in and around my motor box adding in the factor of 5 lbs for my engine. Total weight in the nose including the engine is 8 lbs in my plane. Which should be just about correct for all of the DH-Agcat depending on what engine you choose. Keep in mind that the only thing in front of the wing is the motor itself and that's it. Also keep in mind that adding 1" stand off mounts will lessen the amount of weight you will have to add to the nose. If you look at the full size plane the radial is mounted pretty far out in front. Just something to think about. The further out you mount the engine the less weight you will need to add. Do not add the weight to the cowling. Secure to the motor box. that's what I did and I haven't had any issues with it. I'm always here to help. Again, the 10 lbs MOKI should be fine. Just mount it directly to the motor box without any stand offs. Just add the normal down and right hand off sets to your engines guys. It's the same off set principles you've done on any of your other planes.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 PM
outacontrol41

Soo you're saying I can use a 150cc Moki gas engine on my DH AgCat (89 '' wing span) and this won't be too much engine?? I'd rather use that than the O.S. if I can help it. Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 PM
WR450

Thanks Brian for the info. as I get close to recving the agcat I will call you(Duane gave me your no#) for some more info. on the build.I will take photo of the moki installed on the agcat also man what a sweet sounding engine and they run veryn good.I have 2 moki the 150 and a 215 on my pitts m-12 boy that 215 is a power house 45lb plane and flys it at half thortle with a 32x12 prop about 3500 rpm sounds so sweet just like a full scale plane.For the price of the saito radials and os radial you can buy a moki gas radial they wiegth more but that means you don't have to add nose wieght.Just be sure to beef up you engine boxs due to the torque.
thanks wr450
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM
WR450

Outacontrol41 how you doing.My agcat is 104in wing and the longer fuesslarge (B) model I think is what Duane said it was.The smallest plane I ran a moki 150 on was a 33% yak 54 that wing was 95in was just wright for the 150 just beef up the engine boxs and I added carbon fiber landing gear had to add 2lbs tail wieght to balnce.89in wing in a byplane should be ok for the 150 that plane has a lot of drag a good prop for that set up would be a 28x12 with a power fuel pump 380.That is a special fuel pump for the moki engine suggest to install them with ever engine.Call Gotz at Vogelsang 1-919-533-6275 and ask about the pump and a trobolater.well worth the extra price they will run like the one;s you see on you-tube.Is your plane one of Duane kits with glass fuesslage.

Take care wr450
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 AM
outacontrol41

WR450....
Thanks for your response. Yes it is Duane's Plane.....the original 89''
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM
outacontrol41

Just weighed my DH AgCat in the bones, and the result is an absolute dry weight of 18 lbs.....that's only what came in the box. With paint, prop, all additional hardware I'll add 2 more lbs.. So now I'm starting off with a 20 lb. airplane and am entertaining the idea of bolting on a 10 lb. Moki engine directly to the firewall. I'm thinking no additional weight will be needed if I shuffle inner weight (battery, servo placement) around. Will my 30+ lb. AgCat with a 3 blade 26 x 10 fly as good as it sounds like it would on paper? Hmmmm? [:-]
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
WR450

Hi Outacontrol41 the moki 150 will fly your plane just fine I was using a 150 on my 35lb yak one thing about the 3 blade props they make the engine run very smooth but act like a brake when landing you have to land with a little power the moki 150 is rated to fly up to a 40lb plane so you would be fine with a 20lb plane.If you do get the moki 150 get bthe power pump 380 also and a turblater the pump is a fuel pump made just for the moki engine and the trubolater is uint that fits beteewn the carb and intake it helps with ilde and air/fuel ratio.
wr450
Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: WR450

Hi Outacontrol41 the moki 150 will fly your plane just fine I was using a 150 on my 35lb yak one thing about the 3 blade props they make the engine run very smooth but act like a brake when landing you have to land with a little power the moki 150 is rated to fly up to a 40lb plane so you would be fine with a 20lb plane.If you do get the moki 150 get bthe power pump 380 also and a turblater the pump is a fuel pump made just for the moki engine and the trubolater is uint that fits beteewn the carb and intake it helps with ilde and air/fuel ratio.
wr450
Saving $$$ now...these engines are not cheap but I think they're priced better than O.S. new 7 cyl. which I was considering at one point. Gas engines are so much more appealing to me than messy glow engines. I think I'd end up with a 30 lb. plane. I could use a 28'' prop but I'd be afraid if ground strikes. Most bi-planes have to be flown in with some power as they were not designed to be floaters. Might even sell my O.S. now. [&:]
Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: WR450

moki 150 is rated to fly up to a 40lb plane so you would be fine with a 20lb plane.
20 lb. + 10 lb. Moki engine = 30 lb. plane. Still feel safer with more power up front than the O.S. could ever produce.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 PM
rychaross

Lets do this. Go a head and mount the Moki 150 CC and see how she balances. This will answer a lot of questions wheather or not it will balance perfectly or not. If it was me and I had a BIG OLE' Radial....I promise you that it would be the first engine of choice even if I did have to move things around inside the fuse or even some weight aft of the "CG"....Moki it up dudes or whatever radial you guys have. One thing I would like to mention. I was speaking with Duane about the aluminun gear that comes with the kit. We believe and have come to an a agreement that the gear that comes with the kit is too ridgid. It will bend on you if you happen to have and un-perfect landing. I found another gear that is perfect for the DH-Agcat. It's made by a fellow member from our club in Texas City, Tx. I believe it's made of Kevlor I'm not really sure but I'll find out who the guy is and if he still produces that type of gear. My plane weights right at 40 lbs and I have dropped in from 5' straight down on the gear and the gear does nothing but absorb the shock. This stuff is amazing and he also makes several different sizes. I'll try to get some contact information for you guys and an e-mail address along with a phone #. I hope the guy still makes them. I'll get back with y'all on that one. Have a good one.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM
WR450

Brain get that info, for the gear, Duane said you had a good setup for landing gear I would like to get a set.
Thank wr450
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
outacontrol41

Gonna take a while guys. I already had an O.S. ready to go, but now I've changed my mind big time. My new mission is to get a Moki 150. I should have one by late summer. I've got to do a lot of side jobs besides my main job to be able to afford this thing,,,...but I will have one.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 AM
rychaross

10-4 on the gear. I will be going to the field tomorrow 04/02/11. I will do my best to get that information about the landing gear to you guys as soon as I can. While your at it outacontrol41 buy a couple of those Moki's. I'll take one. LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.