Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Earthquake 8e ESC Smokes on turn-on

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 8e ESC Smokes on turn-on

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:13 AM
galacon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 8e ESC Smokes on turn-on

Hey guys and gals, new here, hello!

Love our new Redcats, but having a few issues after only a couple of hours time in service...

When we turn on our Earthquake 8e, the ESC immediately begins pouring out smoke and the motor tries to turn without any input from the transmitter.

We are using the Tenergy 20c 5000mah 7.4 batteries in place of the stock 3500's that came with the truck, but from what I've read that shouldn't have anything to do with it?

I assume we will have to replace the ESC, but my other question is could this be a problem with the motor as well?

Thanks in advance for any help here...

Gman
Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Earthquake 8e ESC Smokes on turn-on

Do the wheels turn? Maby drivetrain is jammed up?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
RCToysNh

Check the voltage on the batteries and also check wiring for correct polarity.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 PM
formula87

crispy esc

Old 07-23-2010, 03:04 PM
98cruiser

Make sure you didnt run through an water cause it will fry your esc, I bought a cheap amce raptor which was very empressive with power. but I ran it through some water after a it rained and toasted teh ecu and two day later while running it, the thing caught on fire>>>>
Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 PM
hhvg

These are good ESCs. Ive had 3 and they all worked flawlessly with a stock pinion or a few teeth smaller. Ive used all 3 (aftershock,backdraft, and earthquake) with the stock batts, tenergy 2s 30c 5000, and protek 30c 5000 2s. Ive even ran on tenergy 3s 5000 30c. All work well with no probs. What gears were you running? Were your connectors/soldering good?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM
VasyM

My earthquake 8e had same problem.  Smoke and foul smell in the middle of the night coming from the ESC.  I ran it through puddles 8 hours earlier.  I bought a new ESC from redcat, hooked it up.  no signal, light on ESC doesn't show.  Battery is fully charged and tested with multimeter.  Connection is good.  Am I missing something?   Bad "new" ESC possibly?  Got a new receiver thinking that might solve the problem... fail.  Neither receiver showing power.  The only thing i can think of is testing ESC to New earthquake 8e.  I hardly feel like forking out another $300!  Help anyone!?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Goatcrapp

VasyM - did you pair the new esc and receiver?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 AM
jaturner

You may try unplugging the servo from the reciever as well if you haven't already. There might be some type of short.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

guys there are things to try, but if attempts fail(or if smoke came out of the ESC) then its time to fill out redcat's warrenty form: http://www.redcatracing.com/informat...anty-form.html
try to include as much info, what happend, what you have tried to correct the issue ect.

you can try re-binding your Rx to your Tx (search redcat bind on utube for a vid that shows how to do this)

make sure your lipo's voltage is good before trying to calibrate the ESC. if the ESC detects the lipos low voltage, it will beep slowly and not accept any input.

to calibrate the ESC, you have to hold the button next to the on/off switch as you turn on the ESC(only for a second!)

then press the button 1 time, then again after you put the trigger throttle full, then 1 more time as you put trigger at full reverse

also, a bad servo can effect a ESC. its only takes a short time to disconnect your servo and then see if the ESC responds as it should. if it does, time for a new servo.

if you run these ESC's through water, be ready to buy a new one! i have already sold a replacement ESC ($85) to a guy who hit a puddle and his esc went up in flames.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 PM
twobnvd
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: hhvg

These are good ESCs. Ive had 3 and they all worked flawlessly with a stock pinion or a few teeth smaller. Ive used all 3 (aftershock,backdraft, and earthquake) with the stock batts, tenergy 2s 30c 5000, and protek 30c 5000 2s. Ive even ran on tenergy 3s 5000 30c. All work well with no probs. What gears were you running? Were your connectors/soldering good?
Youve ran an earthquake stock esc on 3's with no problems? How did it perform?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:41 AM
biggups

The connection between the servo and the steering linkage came apart. i dont think it is broken and i also found the screw that holds the two together. My question is does the screw simplet screy up through the linkage and into the plastic piece from the servo or am i missing something else?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 AM
masterhacker1989

Ive heard bad things about running a Hobbywing Esc on 2 3s batteries, not a good idea, Now if you bought the 150A one, I would say go for it