Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore?

Been there done that... i just wanna fly.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Deadstick101
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always built. It may take one or two years to finish a plane. In N.W. PA the flying season is short for me. I just don't like to fly in the cold. Building lets me be involved every day with R/C. Funny thing is people at the two clubs that I fly at look down there nose at me because I build, and don't have 3 grand in a plane.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Nordicz
My Feedback: (7)

It's odd,

I have been reading the thread and can relate to many posts. My experience limited as it is. I purchased an ARF Trainer to learn how to fly "now". Crashed because I got too confident too soon after a season of success. I ended up building my first kit and was hooked and almost possessed. I had it ready by spring and have flown the heck out of it. I have had hard landings, Broken a wing. Made several repairs due to a lack of flying knowledge and talent. I have purchased second hand aircraft RTF but really ARF due to the fact I have been taught to go through everything and make no assumptions of what is there. And yet there is nothing compaired to building my own plane. I have a sense of pride and purpose on the planes I have built. The others may be more complex and definitely more expensive but the things made by my hands seem to mean more.

Greybeard made a point that time should not be an excuse and I can agree and disagree. I don't apply as much time to my builds as I would like or probally should. But my little girl is more active. Has activities that I feel I need to participate in. My family priorities today mean less time for my personal priorities. So building has taken a back seat but not non-existent. Just slowwwwww.

In summary since I seem to drowl on. I want my building skills to develope because there is nothing better than my own build in IMHO. Plus building helps my skills in repair. [:@] I want to fly and enjoy the hobby. And I want to do it in a manner that does not negatively impact my other priorities. ARF, RTF second hand purchase or builds. I love the hobby the flying and the friendships that have come out of RC.

Z

Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

I've been building models since I was 8 years old and I'm now 55. There was a time back in the 80's that for a .40 size plane, an ARF, like an E-Z, cost approximately 2 to 3 times as much as a similar kit plane. There was plastic all over them for additional strength since the sparse framework was covered with thin foam sheeting and printed covering that was plastic coated for fuel proofing not unlike the VQ type ARFs available today. A typical plane could be about $300 (in today's dollars, that figure would be close to $1000). People still bought them but building was more economical.

Today however, you can buy an ARF, built from balsa, ply and covered in monokote or ultracote or something similar and get a .40 size plane that costs anywhere from $100 to $300. If these were available back in the 80's, I think a lot more people would have been flying ARFs then too. For quickness to the field, you can not beat today's ARFs and that's why they are so popular. Not to mention the fact that the overall fit and finish on these planes border on fantastic. I fail to see that level of quality in a lot of the personally constructed planes anymore except from the guys who have been building as long as I have. That's not to say that everyone doesn't build well, there are some really good builders out there. But overall, the level of builder skill has dropped as a result of all the ARFs and to me, that is the true shame of it all.

As with anything, there will always be the purest who wants to do it all by themselves. I count myself among that number but I also fly ARFs too. And foamies and whatever. It's all good. No one should be looking down their noses at anyone when it comes to this hobby. After all, we all are into it for the love of aviation and everyone's situation is different. Go out, enjoy the commeraderie and most of all, keep 'em flyin'.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Deadstick101
My Feedback: (5)

That's kind of my point. I always have something on the board, and no deadline on completion. The plane that I will finish next will be my finest product, and the next one must be better. I chose to use old methods of covering, and finishes. A.R.F.s fill a need for many, but people are missing out on a most rewarding part of this hobby, sport. All of my planes that I have built always re kitted themselves. I just keep building. With the custom designers, and cutting services that we have today building may be getting better than ever.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

I have both ARF's and build. I ALWAYS prefer building, and think the result is much better, and unique. I understand the place for ARF's, they are quick, and if you want to fly but just don't have the time, they fill the void. But I certainly like building as much as flying. I always, always, always have at least 3 planes in some form of build at any given time. I am frustrated by the limited number of kits available, and so are others by the unbeliveable amounts of $$ that people are willing to pay for older, out-of-production kits now. Its crazy. Either way, I will always build, and I have never been happy with any ARF. I would much rather build my own.

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM
farr301

I'm going to have to agree on Dave with this. Both kits and ARFs have their place. As a teenage modeler, i don't enjoy saying that most other rcers my age don't build kits. I built my trainer from a kit and also my second plane. Although my the first flight with my trainer (i had already learned on my dad's) was almost an utter disaster. I did a little glue work, and it took to the skies again. I have recently acquired a parkzone radian, stryker, and a hangar 9 ultra stick. I have flown the parkzone planes, and while they are enjoyable, i don't get the butterflies associated with my personal builds. The Ultra Stick is ready to fly, but i don't feel the rush to "get that baby into the air" like i did with the others. If i had time, i would build 24/7. I agree, it is annoying, but if it takes me two years to finish one kit, the satisfaction cannot be matched by ARFs.

If you build ARFs, you just don't have a story to tell, and you learn very little.

Just my 2 cents

Jake
Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: vger105

Maybe my view is a tad myoptic butit seems to me with the advent of ARFs and RTFs, people aren't building as many planes from kits as they used to. 20 years ago when I was last in the hobby, it seems that many more people built, and _enjoyed_ building, planes from kits. I posed this question to members of my flying club and the consensus seemed to be that either people don't have the time for kitsor they just want to fly and not be "bothered" building.I'm presently building a Great Planes J-3, 40, and I'm loving every minute!
Like anything a person does, you getout ofit, what you put into it.

Kits arefor those who take pridein accomplishing the sometimes daunting task of building something from a pile of sticks.

The pride you have in changing things up a bit so it doesn't look like the same airplanethat everyone else has at the field.

The pride you have researching the scale details of it's full size counter part so it adds a bit of realism to the finished product.

The pride you have after the successful maiden flight and the compliments on not only the build and details,but on how well it flies.

Yes I fly ARF's also. They have their place in my routine and they do look pretty good after fully assembled. But for me, there is very little pride to be had in assembling something that some under paid laborer stuck together with hot glue on a production line.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I bash ARF's because i have no time for kits.

Uncle Sam's hand is far too deep in my pocket to allow for more free time.

Maybe in 2012 people won't make the same mistake they made in 2006 and 2008 and I'll get a chance to build a kit for the second time in my life.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
rcrick10
My Feedback: (1)

60 hours a week at work just no time for me. i have just enough time to squeeze a few flights every other week.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Bass1

I just found this thread and kind of skimmed through some of the posts and it seems like space, time, tools and just basic skills dictate an individuals desire and/or motivation to build a kit. Although I'll bet if the only way a hot dogger 3-D pilot could get a state of the art, incredibly lightweight airframe that could/would blow away the competition would be to build it from a "state of the art" kit that WAS available AND without breaking the bank,, there would be quite a few more kit builders around. Most if not all kits that are available nowdays and built "stock" are antiquated for the times unless of course your building a tried and true kit of a Cub or some of the cool old biplane kits available that are timeless. Anyway, What I really wanted to say was that the endorphin releases I used to get (in my day) during all of the stages of building my prized kits were amazing! Flying the darn thing after you've created that masterpiece was a powerfull and long term mood enhancer! Darn, I miss those days![&o]
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

I love building! That being said, it wouldn’t matter to me if kits disappeared all together. This hobby started with dreamer enthusiast designing models, drawing plans, and others building from plans. There was a time when there were no kits.

ARF’s are great if you don’t want to build and there is nothing wrong with that. If you want to fly something few or no one has, you can design your own, or build from plans. This hobby is still chocked full of people doing just that.

Rrragmanm
Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 AM
metaldriver

Both have their place but as for needing a bunch of tools to build a kit I beg to differ. As I have built kits using the most basic of tools, x-acto knife with spare blades, x-acto saw, sandpaper attached to pieces of pine and a simple Yankee drill. More tools make it easier but a lot of special tools aren't required. Just a desire to build. As for me I have a couple projects going right now,including finishing a Midwest Strikemaster I started over 18 years ago.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:32 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: metaldriver

Both have their place but as for needing a bunch of tools to build a kit I beg to differ. As I have built kits using the most basic of tools, x-acto knife with spare blades, x-acto saw, sandpaper attached to pieces of pine and a simple Yankee drill. More tools make it easier but a lot of special tools aren't required. Just a desire to build. As for me I have a couple projects going right now,including finishing a Midwest Strikemaster I started over 18 years ago.
When i was younger and my kids where at home or when i was paying for their education later,i went to garage sales and bought some sanding tools and files . I build homes so i brought home drywall leftovers to build on and i got by just fine. After all of my bills were gone i then bought my good shop tools but i bought tools that would last a long time . Perma grit is one set of tools that i saved up and bought about 8 years ago and i am still using them today. If you buy good tools they will last longer than you use them .I own two dremel tools ,a cordless one and one you plug in ,i have used both only 2 or three times in 10 years ,i like to use hand tools verses power tools so i bought hand carving tools or made my own. joe
Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Bass1

Speaking of tools, I was riding my bike a few weeks ago and passed by an outdoor estate sale. In the tool area there was a mint condition variable speed corded Dremel tool. I asked the gentleman what he wanted for it. His reply was, That old engraver?? Just give me $2.00 for it. I snatched it up with my spare change. Can never have too many Dremel tools![8D]
Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 AM
GerKonig

I have been in the hobby for 40 years now, and I have the answer. Here it is, write it down. The answer to the old question: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore? is:

BECAUSE NOW PEOPLE HAVE A CHOICE!

In the past people did not have a choice! When I was younger and only worked 40 hours per week, I used to build 2/4 kits per year. 90% of those were sold. There was a great excellent market for selling them. In my club a couple of us liked to build, and then we sold the planes. As soon as I started using a model I had people offering to buy the model once I got tired of it. Well, those times are gone:-( You cannot build a Goldberg Cub, and sell it used for much more than the cost.

So, yes, we builders were the sellers of ARF's 30 year back already:-) Of course, now there is a great variety, and they are lighter than years back, and they fly better. Do you see any of the great acro pilots that fly 1/3 or bigger build their own planes? Of course not.

Things change, and change is good. Enjoy the hobby and if you think that people do not build because they are lazy remember: Minds are like parachutes, they only work while open! I mean to say that you are narrow minded, misinformed, and generalizing (and non of those 3 are good).

One of the nice things of this hobby is that you can enjoy it in so many different ways, and at so many different levels that there is something for everyone. Heck, we had a club member that only came to the club with a bench, and toyed with problematic power plants. He got satisfaction from getting a POS running well. Who am I to tell him that he was missing an airplane? Different strokes for different folks!

Gerry

Old 04-02-2011, 11:30 AM
rodrigoa
My Feedback: (11)

Its all about time, I dont have enough time for it like many people so I prefer buy arf and rtf but, I will love to built a kit in future
Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 PM
jetmech05

Again I haven't read through all of the posts here....I did post on the first page....but since then the name calling has begun...so I'll explain further....
I don't work in an air conditioned office nor do I sit behind a desk (nothing wrong with those that do)....I work either on a hot flight line or a hot hangar...in or on an even hotter airplane......I am either running wires, terminating cannon plugs, or troubleshooting.....sometimes I am in places where there isn't room for you, let alone a fan. When the airplane is getting close to delivery date working 2 or 3 weekends in a row is not un heard off, nor is working 10 hour shifts. when I get home the last thing I want to do is go to my hot garage and build a kit for an hour or 2......And I still have a teenager at home as well
Kit building does not make you more of, or better RC flyer....it makes you better at building and fixing...those that say, or think, ARF flyers are somehow less of an RC'er than a kit builder is way out of line...and an attitude that I don't hear from ARF flyers....ie I've never seen an ARF flyer look down his nose at a kit builder...instead most ARF flyers are the first to admire a well build kit.....
As far as kits vs ARF goes the oldest airplane in my fleet is a kit built airplane, I built it.....the airplane that is my go to airplane is an ARF 50 cc Pitts Python..going on 4 yrs old, the second go to is also an ARF a 150 sized Hangar 9 P-47 ARF with a 30 cc up front and it is older than my Pitts...so wearing out an ARF just doesn't hold true....
Kit building is just another part of our great hobby...like teaching or flying IMAC.....
does not make you better or worse...it makes you an RC'er like an ARF flyer
Good flying to all
Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I have been in the hobby for 40 years now, and I have the answer. Here it is, write it down. The answer to the old question: Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore? is:

BECAUSE NOW PEOPLE HAVE A CHOICE!

In the past people did not have a choice! When I was younger and only worked 40 hours per week, I used to build 2/4 kits per year. 90% of those were sold. There was a great excellent market for selling them. In my club a couple of us liked to build, and then we sold the planes. As soon as I started using a model I had people offering to buy the model once I got tired of it. Well, those times are gone:-( You cannot build a Goldberg Cub, and sell it used for much more than the cost.

So, yes, we builders were the sellers of ARF's 30 year back already:-) Of course, now there is a great variety, and they are lighter than years back, and they fly better. Do you see any of the great acro pilots that fly 1/3 or bigger build their own planes? Of course not.

Things change, and change is good. Enjoy the hobby and if you think that people do not build because they are lazy remember: Minds are like parachutes, they only work while open! I mean to say that you are narrow minded, misinformed, and generalizing (and non of those 3 are good).

One of the nice things of this hobby is that you can enjoy it in so many different ways, and at so many different levels that there is something for everyone. Heck, we had a club member that only came to the club with a bench, and toyed with problematic power plants. He got satisfaction from getting a POS running well. Who am I to tell him that he was missing an airplane? Different strokes for different folks!

Gerry

Bingo! That was the best darn factual statement that I've read in here so far at RCU.

Thanks for sharing Gerry.

Pete
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, the Economy. My Father and his brother and father started back when RC was first coming around. They HAD to build thier planes, and his father made excellent money. Things like RC ariplanes were nothing more than a novelty, and many people then couldnt afford them. I build kits and fly ARF planes. I pick the planes I build, I refuse to scratch build a Piper Cub, I however would take the time to build a warbird or any other plane of that nature. Id rather take the pride in the planes I find to be worth my time. ARF planes cater to the crowd who dont have the time and money to scratch build. In this economy, many people want to enjoy RC but cannot afford it. As a result I can put together a ARF Piper Cub for 1/3 of scratch building one, because these are the demigraphic the companies are aiming at! Look at Parkzone planes, plug in the battery and FLY! There are less and less clubs close by, and there are still LOTS of parks, so thats where these ARF and foam Electric Planes come in handy. I'm tired of people saying if you arent a builder you arent a true flyer, or if you fly electric you arent one either. Seems like there are a lot of old school flyers who look down on ARF planes and electric parkflyers. In my opinion, thats like making fun of indoor plumbing and refusing to use it just because YOU didnt have it growing up....
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 PM
MrGoodwreck

Im good with it,

I will NEVER pay for an ARF. My first plane was an ARF, and I loved it. ( Cox Cessna 182 in 1987-88). I have since, and will continue to build all of my own planes. Now when I show up at the field, Im " The guy that builds his own planes", and my son never had to pay a penny for his last two trainers!... Ya see, the guys that crashed their ARF trainers were not willing to take the time to strip the covering off of the crashed planes, and repair them. They simply just pulled their radio gear, and engines, then tossed the planes into the trash. One was a Goldberg Eagle II ARF that the leading edge took the brunt of hitting the fence pole, with no real damage to the fuselage at all. The second was a tower hobbies trainer that needed one side of the wing rebuilt, and the horiz stab reglued.

A little CA, a couple new sticks, and a sheet of balsa, some monocoat scraps, and my kid had trainers that he learned to fly with.

Some of you need to look for the good in things
Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Villa

For about 30 years I built all of my plane from kits. Then I discovered SPADS. Now I enjoy designing my own plane and building it out of Coroplast, which is the plastic corrugated material that political signs are made from. I prefer to fly than build, and my SPADS usually last me about 5 years before an unfortunate incidence totals them. Many are repairable, but by then I'm usually ready for something new.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like building, but I take my time at it.  I also am glad good ARF's exist because I enjoy flying them as well. 

Ain't it wonderful to have choices.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
jessiej

The nice thing about a hobby is that you can do it any way you chose, or not do it at all. We don't always have that kind of choice in other aspects of life.

jess
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Ain't it wonderful to have choices.
Enjoy it while it lasts. The only reason ARFs exist in the numbers they do is because for this brief moment in history the Chinese are willing to put their peasant girls to work in factories making toys for Americans at near slave wages. That won't last for long. In a decade people will look back on this with disbelief and say "remember when we used to buy those ARFs from China for next to nothing?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.