Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Help with Neu F3A motor, CC HV80 in a Passport

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Neu F3A motor, CC HV80 in a Passport

I have some trouble getting Castle Creations HV80 ESC to run with the motor. Here is what I observed.

1. On the 45 degree or 90 degree up lines, usually in the middle of the throttle, I can hear a loud sound (aka "sonic" boom). Once i pass that point, it goes away. This happens regardless of the the plane is flying up or down wind. The linkages are solid and the motor is hard-mounted. Could this relate to the ESC problem (described below) or something else specific to Passport?

2. One HV80 was burned during the flight with the cut-off setting set at insensitive. After landing, I can smell the electric burn smell from the unit and one 4mm bullet connector to the motor has sign of over current (melted metal, black). CC kindly sent me a new HV80 (under warranty).

3. The avoid the same problem with the new ESC, I used very conservative cut-off settings: sensitive and hard-cut-off. About 4-5 minutes into the flight, it seems ESC is really cutting off: the motor was spinning but only at about idle RPM! I landed the plane safely and can hear a sequence of 3-beeps from the ESC. According to CC's manual on HV80, the beeping means over-current situation.

My questions:

what is that loud sound on up-line?

what is a suitable ESC for Neu F3A? Obviously I concluded that the HV80 may not be suitable for the job.

Please share your thoughts and experience. Many thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 AM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Help with Neu F3A motor, CC HV80 in a Passport

QC, I've run the Neu F3A motor for 2 years now and have never had any of these problems. Have you checked the amps with a watt meter? Sounds to me like an over amp situation. How much time or flights do you have on the Neu F3A motor and have you sent the motor back to be evaluated by the Neu people? I run an older CC HV85 esc with the heat sink and like I said my setup is bullet-proof! Just my thoughts. Regards, Everette
Old 04-03-2011, 05:13 AM
joenella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over propped motor!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 AM
wattsup

YES! I agree Joenella! My next question was, the all up weight of his Passport including battteries and what size prop and the make of the prop he is using. Sometimes our problems come from either bad advice and/or trying to use what the "big boys" run. I've had both happen to me! Regards,Everette
Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 AM
nonstoprc

I am running 21.5 x 14. Apc
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
joenella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go down to 20.5x14 and voila
Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 AM
wattsup

+1 Regards, Everette
Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 PM
nonstoprc

OK. Some small props to try.

Any explanation on the loud sound?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM
wattsup

QC, you say you heard a loud sound (aka, a sonic boom)? Did you share that particular info with the techs at Castle Creations? How close you live to Roswell, New Mexico? I wish I could help you. Anyway, you are welcome. Regards, Everette
Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 PM
wattsup

QC, you say you heard a loud sound (aka, a sonic boom)? Did you share that particular info with the techs at Castle Creations? How close do you live to Roswell, New Mexico? I wish I could help you. Anyway, you are welcome. Regards, Everette
Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
nonstoprc

After I installed the Hyde soft mount, I could not hear the loud sound any more. Looks like the vibration from the motor got amplified at the fuze. The soft mount helps isolate th source.

I am very happy with the combo now.

The 21x14 prop used originally was not the problem, as I can reproduce the loud noise with 20x13 prop.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM
wattsup

QC, It's good to hear you found the problem. I'd love to know how many amps your Neu motor & prop combination is turning. BTW, I was just trying to make a little joke about you living near Roswell, New Mexico. Take care, Everette
Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 AM
nonstoprc

Everette,

I think the amps can be set indirectly with fixed throttle setting for HV 80. Once the high throttle point is found by the ESC and you advance the throttle more through the travel trim, the ESC will deliver more current. A watt meter is useful to make sure the amps is not too much for the ESC or battery pack.

At the default high throttle point on a 20x13, I saw amps at 66. The pull at this setting is not good enough for up lines. I let the throttle travel about 10% (in a scale of 0 to 100) more past the high point, the plane is live and I can get very good up lines.

Measured the amps with 85% charged Turnigy pack today. The draw is 86 A at full throttle.