Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Tornado s30 video not changing gears HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado s30 video not changing gears HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM
eggonboost04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado s30 video not changing gears HELP

HEY guys so i was watching some vids of the tornado s30 online and i can hear the second speed kicking in, so i made a vid of mine and i can see that is not working, sense i got the car i never heard the shifting i had it for like 2 weeks already, idk if the car takes off on second n stays there or only first gear, i try putting the screw on the clutch all the way in and out and i dont see a difference, i made a video so yall can gear it and a vid of full throttle take off n pinch test so u guys can tell me how my car is doing etc. any comments will help thanks. sorry about the recording i was trying to drive it n hold the phone at the same time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73lADSk1xSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWUIokkGi14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2_OU71WCg
Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tornado s30 video not changing gears HELP

1st set the screw back where you think it was stock out of the box.

the reason its not shifting is you motor is still rich. the motor has to turn a certain # of rpms before the clutch will shift.

i think your motor is still running rich and is not turning high enough rpms. leaning out the high speed some(small adjustments) should do the trick.

i once met some kids with a traxxas revo 3.3
at the time, all i had was a brushed rustler. but i wanted to race anyway......and i beat them! that should not have happened as a revo will do 45 and the rustler only 30ish.

i made a small adjustment to their high speed needle(leaned it out some) and that let the tranny hit second gear, making the truck a good 10mph faster!
seriously, the adjustment i made was maybe 1/7 turn of the needle!
the kids had no idea they were not getting full speed out of the truck! their jaws dropped when i got it to hit second gear for them[X(]
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM
eggonboost04

man i just tryd leanin it out and still nothing, i dont wanna lean it too much i dont see alot smoke coming out, i dont want that thing to overheat.usually from the flash point of the hsn surface how many turns do u have urs in
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: eggonboost04

man i just tryd leanin it out and still nothing, i dont wanna lean it too much i dont see alot smoke coming out, i dont want that thing to overheat.usually from the flash point of the hsn surface how many turns do u have urs in
no one can say where to set your HSN, as altitude, ambient temps and humidity can make a big difference.

if you fell you have it pretty lean, then its possible something is stripped in the 2speed unit. or that screw isnt catching anything.

do you have a temp gun? they help alot in figuring out weather you can lean out more. sometimes there is smoke coming out but it can be hard to see.
knowing the temp of your motor can make it much safer to adjust the highspeed needle. your manual should say something about a safe temp range for the motor to be at once broken in.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 AM
eggonboost04

i gotta get one, thanks for help
Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 AM
electricrc68
Banned

wait so running your nitro car rich is bad for it?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

wait so running your nitro car rich is bad for it?
too rich doesnt hurt the motor, but it brings down the performance.
and in the case of a nitro with a 2speed tranny, the motor has to hit a set # of rpms for the tranny to shift.
run too rich and it wont rev high enough.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
electricrc68
Banned

oh okay because when i get a nitro....(as my second car.....im on the edge of blowing up becuz i want a nitro soooo bad) im going to run it a little rich. its going to be a shockwave so i don't think it will matter.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:28 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the grub screw for the 2nd gear clutch and i bet it is gone. It sounds as you are starting in 2nd gear. This happens A LOT!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:05 PM
eggonboost04

ORIGINAL: billymare

Check the grub screw for the 2nd gear clutch and i bet it is gone. It sounds as you are starting in 2nd gear. This happens A LOT!!
The screw still there man.should I open up the clutch