Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

10 speed system and 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 AM
hgpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 speed system and 3.1

These are specs of a Panther model for sale online (New Kit)

This the Heng long Panther G Smoke & Sound with the latest RX-18 board RC Tank. This terro of WWII comes in Camo paint job or grey. This tank is a full Function Radio Controlled; Turret Cannon Moves Up and Down; Move All Directions; Cannon recoil and Flash! Realistic Suspension System; Realsistic Commander is Equipped; 7.2v Recharged Battery; Tank Transmitter; Excellent Maneuvering Performance; 10-Speed System;Pre-Painted Body; Approx Operating Time 30 Minutes; Operating Passenger Included; Factory Assembled - READY TO RUN; Scale 1:16

Notice in the specs it says: 10-Speed System

Can someone tell me if this 10-Speed system is the same as having the 3.1 gears installed or is this something completly different? Are they refering to the electronics instead of actual gears controling the speed?

I'm trying to decide to either order one with this system or one with the new version 2 - 3.1 gears or with both the 10 speed and 3.1 gears.

Thanks in advance,
~A~

Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
MassiveOverkill

Default RE: 10 speed system and 3.1

They're referring to electronics......speed proportion in 10 steps instead of the previous 2.

Where are you seeing that you can order a HL with the new revision 2 Mato Gears?!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
hgpilot

ORIGINAL: MassiveOverkill

They're referring to electronics......speed proportion in 10 steps instead of the previous 2.

Where are you seeing that you can order a HL with the new revision 2 Mato Gears?!
I think they were at TankWars.

So what would be better? the 10 speed or the 3.1 gears?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
smokinbarracuda

They all come with 10 speed electronics now. You have to buy the 3:1 gearboxes separately if you want slower scale speed with more torque
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
hgpilot

ORIGINAL: smokinbarracuda

They all come with 10 speed electronics now. You have to buy the 3:1 gearboxes separately if you want slower scale speed with more torque
the reason Iposted this question about the gears and the 10 speed is because at Raidentech every airsoft model Ilooked at: (Tiger 1, KV-1 and the Panther) all are listing either 2 speed or they list it as: Forward, High Speed Forward (which is still a 2 speed but in other words)

I don't know if any of their IR tanks are this way but just the Airsoft models are (the 3 I looked at)

Now I'm starting to see why prices are fluctuating on the same kit sold by many different companies. These tanks have several different kinds of options right out of the box.

If you notice and after further investigation of the HobbyKing tanks for around 40 to 60 bucks... They are HL tanks but they do not have smoke or sounds and do not have metal tracks or metal parts at all, they are just a basic tank and I would be willing to bet they have plastic gears and not metal but Idon't know that for sure so this would be understandable to be so cheap as around 50 bucks But at the same time would be great if your going to update one with ELMODand other items as well. Makes for a good customizing platform.

Thanks for your replies.
~A~

Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
smokinbarracuda

Well from what I've seen I'll list the different options available:

1 - Non smoke n sound (rx13)1 or 2 speed forwards and backwards. All plastic tracks and gearboxes
2 - Smoke n sound (rx14 or rx18) 10 speed forwards and backwards. All plastic tracks and gearboxes unless specified as metal.

As far as I'm aware none come with the 3:1 boxes installed but some places do install the normal metal boxes, tracks and sprockets for you but at a much higher cost. I also assume its the same for the infra red series as the airsoft.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: smokinbarracuda

Well from what I've seen I'll list the different options available:

1 - Non smoke n sound (rx13)1 or 2 speed forwards and backwards. All plastic tracks and gearboxes
2 - Smoke n sound (rx14 or rx18) 10 speed forwards and backwards. All plastic tracks and gearboxes unless specified as metal.

As far as I'm aware none come with the 3:1 boxes installed but some places do install the normal metal boxes, tracks and sprockets for you but at a much higher cost. I also assume its the same for the infra red series as the airsoft.
Actually, the RX-13 was the first smoke and sound (SNS) control board HLmade. It was replaced in subsequent iterations by the 14 and the 18. But, you're right about the 2 basic options. The Raidentech tanks that have 2 speeds do not have SNS and either go or are stopped. The SNS tanks have the proportional control, which is really a 10-stepped speed controller instead of truely proportional speed. But, it is much better than 2 speeds and does a decent job of approximating a truly proportional controller.

Unless you're buying a custom tank, no one sells one with the 3:1 gearboxes installed. That has to be purchased and installed separately. Generally, you buy the SNS tank for the proportional speed if you're getting 3:1 gearboxes.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM
hgpilot

Philipat,

what about these models? Look at their descriptions as they are listing the 3.1 gears. It appears they are installed.

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/henglong.htm

Here's one of the ads:
1/16 Early Production Tiger 1
in Tiki Eastern Front Finish

Smoke & Sound System

New RX-18 Multi-function Unit
Custom 'Tiki' Das Reich Scheme

IR Battle System installed

New Metal 3:1 Gearboxes
Metal Lower Chassis

Higher Capacity Ni-Mh Battery
Opening Front Hatches

with Plastic Tracks

£189.95

with Metal Sprockets & idlers
& High Grade Metal Tracks

£249.95

1/16 Early Production Tiger 1
in 2-Tone Finish

Smoke & Sound System
Custom 2-Tone Finish

Airsoft BB Gun

Metal Lower Chassis

Higher Capacity Ni-Mh Battery
Opening Front Hatches

with Plastic Tracks

£189.95

Temporarily
Out of Stock

with Metal Sprockets & idlers
& High Grade Metal Tracks

£249.95
Temporarily
Out of Stock

1/16 Late Production Tiger 1
in Yellow with Zimmerit

Smoke & Sound System

Custom Weathered Finish

Ultimate Sparkling Version
(High Intensity Gun Flash)

Metal Lower Chassis

Full length Metal Gun Barrel

Realistic Gun Recoil

with
Metal Sprockets & Idlers,
All Metal Roadwheels &
High Grade Metal Tracks

£299.95

Temporarily
Out of Stock

Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
candycab

Those are just regular S&S Tanks that they upgrade and sell. There are no HL Tanks with factory installed 3-1 gears.

However not too long ago they didn't come with metal gears which are now the standard boxes for HL so I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing factory installed 3-1's. I would look to Matomart to confirm any factory included gear since they are the official HL suppliers for North America. If HL is building it than they will be stocking it as it comes off the factory line. 

Old 04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to mention you are looking in the wrong place. That site is the MOST expensive that you could possibly buy from.
As it has been said , to tank comes with 3:1 boxes Unless they are a special edition like the ones you are looking at.
It simply does not pay to buy one of these tanks, they are not kits, with the 3:1 boxes already installed. The extra price will kill you.
They are charging you to install them plus marking the price up too boot.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 AM
hgpilot

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Not to mention you are looking in the wrong place. That site is the MOST expensive that you could possibly buy from.
As it has been said , to tank comes with 3:1 boxes Unless they are a special edition like the ones you are looking at.
It simply does not pay to buy one of these tanks, they are not kits, with the 3:1 boxes already installed. The extra price will kill you.
They are charging you to install them plus marking the price up too boot.
Hey man I know that. Ihad no intentions of buying from them at all. Just using their kits as example.
I'm thinking on going with either Matomart or Phil depending on a few other things or not.

Thanks everyone.

Have a great day!

~A~

Old 04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil will upgrade and customize your tank for you, if you tell him what you want. Check with him for a price quote. Another option for cheaper upgrades that appear to be Asiatam but at better prices can be found from Taigen at Awesome Hobbies in Australia. Keep an eye on the shipping, though.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
candycab

hgpilot

Definitely go with Phil if you are in the U.S. Mato is a very good seller but the shipping is pretty expensive within the US and not to rip on their customer service but they cant match Phil's level of service since they wont do things like install your upgrades or do a full check to make sure the Tank is running as it should, or nothing is broken before it ships out to you. Maybe it doesnt matter to most people these days but dealing with a vendor 1 on 1 who obviously has a passion for the Hobby is worth more than getting the best deal and just being an account number when or if something goes south.      

Just my 2cents 

Welcome aboard bye the way 

Old 04-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i realize that my friend. The point was that people see that site and can get very confused as to what is a normal sale and something that is a total upgraded verion with an astronomical price.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 AM
hgpilot

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Yeah i realize that my friend. The point was that people see that site and can get very confused as to what is a normal sale and something that is a total upgraded verion with an astronomical price.
yeah tell me about it Panther I've been confused for a while now trying to get something that Iwon't be thinking that Ishould of got the other one, know what Imean?

I talked to Phil and it looks like I'll be dealing with him but Ihave to wait on some funds to arrive or sell a couple of things I don't use anymore first.
shouldn't be much longer.

Thanks to all.
~A~

DANG IHATEWAITING!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

DANG I HATE WAITING!!!

I've been waiting for about five years to buy a Tamiya and now I have a sixth month old son, so it looks like in about 18yrs I will be getting my Pershing

wade