Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

No Spartan i guess!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

No Spartan i guess!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
jrc4120

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spartan i guess!

Hello, I was thinking of getting a new boat and liked the Spartan, mainly since i have had Traxxas cars and always had good experiences with them. After looking around online, I'm glad i didnt make the buy, cause it seems like it may be junk!

Qustion is, what is a good boat for me in that price range. I have very little experience with boats, other than having an old kyosho electric when i was a kid. I do have alot of experience with other types of r/c though. I want something that is brushless and fast, looks good, and is durable and boat beginner friendly. Is the supervee 27 a good option? Saw some posts on the Miss Geico, is that a good option for me? have to say I dont like the look of the catamran style as much as the spartan or supervee. Any suggestions on a fast easy to use boat that looks good? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 AM
jrc4120

Default RE: No Spartan i guess!

Just saw the Shockwave 26, how is that boat? Looks like it only takes one pack, would that make it much slower than others? How fast would the shockwave be on 2s? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
siberianhusky

GO with an SV for a ready to run mono, The steerable hardware is junk on the proboat. Lots of SVs available used for about 150$ with the usual upgrades like trim tab adjusters and a better motor cooler. They usually get a gelcoat crack along the transom above the rudder.
They handle pretty well to about 50mph, but you have to have it set up well for that! And upgrade the motor. I personally think they are pretty fun stock especially if you have a few others to run against.
Not to many issues with them.
When you want to go faster buy a bigger boat unless you enjoy retrieving it, the faster you want to go the bigger a boat you need. Something around 32 - 33" is good for stable + 50mph reliably.
The Pursuit from Kinetec hobbies is a really good 32" boat. Many people have been having great luck with them. Don't get the HobbyKing version, same hull but the motor choice and esc are wrong for the hull.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
jrc4120

Thanks for the info, doesn't sound like the shockwave is as good as I thought it would be. between the Miss Geico and the Supervee 27, which is better suited and more stable for a begining driver? Is one definitely better than the other?

One more probably dumb question. If there is a problem with the boat out in the water (like say it flips), how do you get it back if you dont have a kayak or something? Fishing pole maybe? Like I said, probably a dumb question, but thought I better ask. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

SV's are fun stock. Only upgrade would be better trim tabs if you wanna run stock that's cool. Stick a Grim 42x55 prop on it and she will be low 40mph stock. I loved my SV, they tend to flip if not properly setup. I also own a Miss Geico. The hull quality on the miss geico is beautiful but the motor in the sv27r is better (JMO) both boats are good. All depends on what YOU want. 

Some guys use a kayak some guys use the fishing pole I use a rescue made from brushed boats I no longer used.
Shockwaves are JUNK JMO

SV27

Miss Geico

Rescue boats

Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
RGrew176

I have a Pro Boat Blackjack 26 that I just love. If I were buying today I probably would get the Pro Boat Miss Geico. Both are ready to run right out of the box. Both are dependable. Like you I really wanted to get a Traxxas Spartan. I too have followed all the threads in the various RC forums and it appears that the Spartan is nothing but a lot of trouble. Many of the owners are changing motors and esc's to get them to run with any reliability. A ready to run boat should not need modification before you can run it and not worry.

I may still wait and get one but it will only be after I start hearing good news in the forums. Right now all the news is not good.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM
jrc4120

Thanks for all the info! I think I am leaning toward the Miss Geico, even though it's a little bit more than I wanted to spend and i was starting to like the idea of only needing one battery pack. Is the widowmaker 22 any better than the shockwave? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:38 PM
siberianhusky

Another one being released soon is the Motley Crew cat from Aquacraft, from all pre release testing reports by various racers it's going to be a good one.
I love the design of the hull but personally can't stand the graphics.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

You got some good advise here from good folks. And yeah stay away from that spartan. Its been so talked up by marketing and hype its just down right wrong.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Diesel6401

Nope its worse then the shockewave. The hull design is terrible. They both share the same motor and esc. The motor is good, the esc is junk. Lot's of them burning up,,,, I owned 2 blackjacks and the MG is FAR superior then a blackjack in everyway possible.
ORIGINAL: jrc4120

Thanks for all the info! I think I am leaning toward the Miss Geico, even though it's a little bit more than I wanted to spend and i was starting to like the idea of only needing one battery pack. Is the widowmaker 22 any better than the shockwave? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Diesel6401

It's already on my wishlist... This thing is gonna be wicked. Damn I hate those graphics lol... I may actually leave it stock theme though, for scale reasons. Plus I don't feel like painting another hull. If the decals weren't clear coated over all would be great.
ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

Another one being released soon is the Motley Crew cat from Aquacraft, from all pre release testing reports by various racers it's going to be a good one.
I love the design of the hull but personally can't stand the graphics.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 AM
siberianhusky

If they didn't clear over them I'd do it up as it's competition - the Amsoil Cat, same hull in full sized.
I don't feel like sanding all the clear off it to repaint. Be nice if replacement hulls came plain white like the SV hulls.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:56 AM
doby

I've got the new AquaCat sitting in my workshop...should have its maiden voyage this weekend
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 AM
jrc4120

Thanks everyone! Ok, one last question...Is there any brushless boats that require just one battery that anyone could reccomend? Sounds like there are no good ones out there that run on just one battery. Thanks, this has all been really helpful.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 AM
doby

What do you mean by "one battery"...a single 2S pack, a single 4S pack?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 AM
jrc4120

I mean something that can run 1 2s pack. Something similar to a shockwave (I'm not getting that based on the info I was able to get here). I just want a simple 1-battery boat to throw on some water once in a while. If there are no quality 1-battery brushless boats out there, I'll probably just end up getting a two battery boat anyway. thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Diesel6401

If your not doing anything serious a shockwave can work IF you change the esc out. You can get a upgrade esc for about $40 for the boat. It only good for mid to high 20 mph maybe even very low 30s. You ever take a look at the micro boats? I have a minicat monohttp://minicatracingusa.com/vmono.htmltakes a single 3s 2200mah battery which you can get for about $12 at hobbyking... I love that little boat, great for just screwing around with. Electronics are good as well. I have done no upgrades to my mono.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve6uHFEsDlw

I mean something that can run 1 2s pack. Something similar to a shockwave (I'm not getting that based on the info I was able to get here). I just want a simple 1-battery boat to throw on some water once in a while. If there are no quality 1-battery brushless boats out there, I'll probably just end up getting a two battery boat anyway. thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 AM
jrc4120

That thing does look very cool! That may be the best way to go for me. Any reccomendations on an inexpensive radio that would be a good fit for it? Any trouble getting parts for it? Thanks again, that may be just what I was looking for.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 AM
jrc4120

Also, is it really self righting? If there is no reason to worry about it flipping in the middle of the lake that seems like it would be a great feauture!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Diesel6401

Yes it is really self righting. The boat is a Tenshock boat with tenshock electrics in it. Jim from minicat is the authorized us dealer for tenshock. There are some Joysway copies of this boat, but the electronics arent as good. Jim is also a cool guy to deal with.

I place the esc on top of the lipo. You want all the weight to one side and it will roll over everytime.
The radio I use is a Tactic, easy to use and no antenna very reliable. Parts are avaiable from the minicat website.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWRP3&P=ML
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6518

Some guys use this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15141Inever have, but it may work for your setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55127.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1590202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86054.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1590203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49028.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1590204  
Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
jrc4120

That all sounds great, I was actually looking at the tactic radio you mentioned. Thanks for all the info, the mini is what I think I will go with!

What are you using in that last pic to keep your esc dry? Any need to do anything with the receiver to keep it dry as well?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Diesel6401

ESC is wrapped that way from the factory. Iwaterproof all my own rx's. Quickest way to do it would be to wrap it in a balloon. Or you waterproof it like Ido.

You need to put foam in the hatch. The second pic is how Idid my foam. It is the expenable foam stuff. I sprayed in the hatch let it set up then shaved off the excess. Pool noodole cut real small would do the same. The boat is about 15.5" without hardware. Actually I think it comes with a balloon for you rx. I just never liked the balloon thing... Just me. personally

That all sounds great, I was actually looking at the tactic radio you mentioned. Thanks for all the info, the mini is what I think I will go with!

What are you using in that last pic to keep your esc dry? Any need to do anything with the receiver to keep it dry as well?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
jrc4120

Thanks, that is great advice and it helped alot! I appreciate it and I'll let you know how I make out with the boat. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Diesel6401

No problem.

Thanks, that is great advice and it helped alot! I appreciate it and I'll let you know how I make out with the boat. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: doby

I've got the new AquaCat sitting in my workshop...should have its maiden voyage this weekend
Say what!!
is this the production Cat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.