Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Hot rodding a Zenoah GT80??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hot rodding a Zenoah GT80??

He thinks (?) that it will be too heavy to do rolling harriers and to hover. Cause that's what you do with airplanes.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what you do TO airplanes.
Warbirds are meant to fly! Not just stay aloft.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:19 PM
AraTidwell

I had no idea it was for a war-bird. When H9 came out with my 33% Cap, they were pushing the GT-80. I put a BME 102 in the airplane that was 3lbs lighter and 20% more powerful. The BME has a bare weight of 4.0lbs. Plane balanced fine, infact to get it to fly the way I wanted it still needed a little tail weight.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:48 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not looking for 3D performance, but it's powering a 33 lb warbird that only has ground clearance for a 23" prop.
plane at best does a loop with no umph at the top

See post # 12

Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: AraTidwell

I had no idea it was for a war-bird.
Five minutes of reading would have prevented that.
When H9 came out with my 33% Cap, they were pushing the GT-80. I put a BME 102 in the airplane that was 3lbs lighter and 20% more powerful. The BME has a bare weight of 4.0lbs. Plane balanced fine, infact to get it to fly the way I wanted it still needed a little tail weight.
Warbirds and 3D planes are two different animals. Warbirds typically require a lot of weight up front.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
tkg

What exhaust do you have on your GT80. The factory cans are quite but cost 700-1000 rpm depending on prop.
Most hot rod tricks will add HP but will require more RPM, reduce power at the lower end and will have a narrower power band.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 PM
sodbuster 1

ORIGINAL: tkg

What exhaust do you have on your GT80. The factory cans are quite but cost 700-1000 rpm depending on prop.
Most hot rod tricks will add HP but will require more RPM, reduce power at the lower end and will have a narrower power band.
It's got the factory exhaust on it.Was looking at Toni's 2 into one exhaust but don't know if the gain will be noticeable for my style flying.
I tend to fly at half throttle most of the time and will go full throttle on a straightaway every once in a while.
I would like to have a decent top end for some speed but want to make sure it has enough power to muscle it out of any dicey situations I might get into.

This Terry?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

What prop is being used?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 PM
tkg

ORIGINAL: sodbuster 1
It's got the factory exhaust on it.Was looking at Toni's 2 into one exhaust but don't know if the gain will be noticeable for my style flying.
I tend to fly at half throttle most of the time and will go full throttle on a straightaway every once in a while.
I would like to have a decent top end for some speed but want to make sure it has enough power to muscle it out of any dicey situations I might get into.

This Terry?
OK cheap trick #1 Get the biggest drill you can fit into the muffler port and drill some holes in the baffle. If you enjoy the extra power then look at aftermarket mufflers.
I think that J&A Engineering makes mufflers for the GT 80. Way back when the Zenoah first came out Joe had a set of HP mufflers, a little noisy, but they actually showed a power increase over open exhaust (some tuning was happening)
Yes its Terry, cant stay away