Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: remote kill switches

Ancient Chinese secret huh?!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Who is your LHS and what is his phone number/email/address? Does he take phone orders?

Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
No kidding, I take a couple right now!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Antique

The spring keeps the throttle plate from vibrating sideways and wearing it out on both sides..It also wears out the carb body, sometimes enough that a new plate still won't seal off the bore...
That makes more sense than anything that has been said so far about the spring. Now I am not ignorant anymore.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Redback

And does he ship to Australia!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:45 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Who is your LHS and what is his phone number/email/address? Does he take phone orders?

Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
No kidding, I take a couple right now!

Where should I send my check for three of them? Or does he take PayPal?

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

I'm not telling you guys or they'll be none left for me and my buddies!!! :P
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm im gonna look up hobby shops in Alberta jk
Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Syssa Aircraft

We have the Ultra IBE, which completely gets rid of your ignition battery, provides opti-isolation and a switch. Works with any battery voltage and type the RX side too.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
gade600sdi

I am fairly new to gas engines too. I have flown around a dozen glow planes that I built. I use Futaba with the throttle cut off on the glow to stall the engine if needed. Once, my carb screw came out in flight, but the carb did not fall out just was loose. I went to land and the prop was turning like 4000 rpm, way too fast and I made 3 attempts to get her down and gave up, fourth attempt I used the throttle kill button on my futaba radio and it worked. I got the engine slow enough to land. I can see the benefits of having this on gas. But, what happens if you are working a 10 channel with many switches and you accidentally flip the wrong switch...engine quits and a good chance of a crash. Giant planes do not dead stick like a 60 size and you can get in trouble quick. That is my fear. I would like to hear some comments on that concern.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Redback

And does he ship to Australia!!!!!!!!
Several shops in Australia have those kill switches for a price not much higher than this
Old 04-12-2011, 05:36 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

I'm not telling you guys or they'll be none left for me and my buddies!!! :P
OK, How about you buy them all up and then sell them for $9.00 Canadian apiece to us in the lowers?

Sincerely. Richard
Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

I am fairly new to gas engines too. I have flown around a dozen glow planes that I built. I use Futaba with the throttle cut off on the glow to stall the engine if needed. Once, my carb screw came out in flight, but the carb did not fall out just was loose. I went to land and the prop was turning like 4000 rpm, way too fast and I made 3 attempts to get her down and gave up, fourth attempt I used the throttle kill button on my futaba radio and it worked. I got the engine slow enough to land. I can see the benefits of having this on gas. But, what happens if you are working a 10 channel with many switches and you accidentally flip the wrong switch...engine quits and a good chance of a crash. Giant planes do not dead stick like a 60 size and you can get in trouble quick. That is my fear. I would like to hear some comments on that concern.

i put mine on a knob on my 9ch+ receivers(aux4) and on my 7 chnnel rxs i use aux1 its a slider ...that way i dont accidentally hit the wrong switch
Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend of mine uses a choke servo on his 2.6m Compy. I've flown it a few times and managed to hit the switch twice. Dead engine when I didn't want one. landed fine both times but it simply reinforced my position of not using an electronic or servo operated choke.

However, I've been setting up planes and flying gassers for a VERY long time and don't seem to encounter all the problems so many others seem to have. I ALWAYS use the best equipment I can find and follow basic and consistent installation methods with all of it. No, I'm not rich, but do believe that the equipment I can always depend on usually costs more.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Valve floater

I use Smart fly on a DL-50 engine. At start up look for the red light and you are hot.It`s great.Just flip the switch after taxing back to the flight line.No adjusting throttle trim or choking down the engine to kill it.That`s what i like about it more than the safety factor.
I did flip the kill switch one time in the air unknowingly and heard the engine quit. I quickly flipped it back on and it restarted. No joke. It must have still been spinning fast enough. Kept on with my flight.
I put some fuel tubing on the lever and reversed the switch. Never screwed up like that again.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:09 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Lets see. I use a microswitch on one gasser. My quadra 35 has a Mag it is wired through the microswitch and back to engine to ground it out. Operated by a servo. No problems works like a champ. I will not fly without some type of engine kill that I can use on my transmitter. Maybe I am just more safety oriented than others.

My Corsair that I am putting together has a electronic switch bought off the bay for 11.99 shipped. Works good in all preliminary testing. It has a led that I put in the cockpit that lets me know it is armed. it is green when the battery is good and turns red when the battery is low and flashes red when the battery is critical.

My Turnigy 9x is a neat radio it will not even come on unless all switches are in the correct position. That means my planes are the way I want them when I turn on the radio.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Jlem
My Feedback: (12)

I too have had to fly around for 35 minutes waiting to run out of fuel. The throttle linkage came off. some of my gassers have a safety switch but they are activated by hand. Those would not have helped in my situation. On the gassers that do not have a kill switch I rely on the throttle servo to kill the engine by use of the kill switch set up. There is always the question of added weight when you are talking about adding another servo. Most gassers can handle the weight with no problem. I am going to start adding a kill switch to my gassers for the sake of safety.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: Jlem

I too have had to fly around for 35 minutes waiting to run out of fuel. The throttle linkage came off. some of my gassers have a safety switch but they are activated by hand. Those would not have helped in my situation. On the gassers that do not have a kill switch I rely on the throttle servo to kill the engine by use of the kill switch set up. There is always the question of added weight when you are talking about adding another servo. Most gassers can handle the weight with no problem. I am going to start adding a kill switch to my gassers for the sake of safety.
The electronic kill switches weigh next to nothing, don't need a servo, and cost about what a standard servo does....
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Jlem

I too have had to fly around for 35 minutes waiting to run out of fuel. The throttle linkage came off.
I take it you have re-attached the throttle butterfly spring now ?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Friend of mine uses a choke servo on his 2.6m Compy. I've flown it a few times and managed to hit the switch twice. Dead engine when I didn't want one. landed fine both times but it simply reinforced my position of not using an electronic or servo operated choke.

However, I've been setting up planes and flying gassers for a VERY long time and don't seem to encounter all the problems so many others seem to have. I ALWAYS use the best equipment I can find and follow basic and consistent installation methods with all of it. No, I'm not rich, but do believe that the equipment I can always depend on usually costs more.

Ifor one would be very happy to hear about how you would recommend setting up a gasser. Ihave my won ideas of course but theres little sense in re-inventing the wheel when others are having great success over a long period of time.

My stock set up would be:

1 x LiFePO4 2100mA.hr baattery.
Power take off via Ylead to Rx Switch and Ignition switch.

Rx switch to Rx to servo's and Igntion Kill.

Ignition switch to IN007 Didode to Ignition box.

I'd not remove the throttle butterfly valve spring nor the Idle stop screw.

Manual choke (that way Idon;t hit it in the air and I'm not tempted to use it as a engine kill switch. Chokng the engine to stop it kills reed valves and the DLEis a reed valve engine

10Kg Metal gear throttle servo.

I would opt for a light throttle control rod but due to vibrations and the fact that there is constant tension on the throttle rod I'd opt use a zbend on one end and an adjustbale clevis or ball link on the other. No EZlinks to slip and upset throttle settings.

How am I doing so far?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM
speedkills69

http://www.killerrc.com/index.php
I know you mention "affordable" but if quality is a consideration, here's whatI use. Saved me a ton in terms of money and lawsuit. My 5th scale ran away on me and wastotally on autopilot heading straight into a crowded park, switched to my 3rd channel and it instantlykilled the engine and shut everything down before it could do damage. (sigh!) I was also thinking going for a cheaper brand, but a lot of guys swear by these killswitch, so I took the plunge. Let me tell ya, one of thebest decision I've made in my life. Mytruck is gas powered and weighs 35lbs, with that speed and weight it could have easilydone serious damage to an unsuspecting bystander. Like the old adage goes "you always get what you paid for"
ORIGINAL: armyguy466

i'm new to gas airplanes i'm use to nitros and i'd like to know about remote kill switches are they needed how do they work and whats the best but affordable switches
Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
jmpups

Some type of kill switch should be used . You can use a simple on/off switch hooked up to a servo that shuts off the electronic module or grounds the solenoid on a magnito engine,from a remote switch on your trasnmitter. Another means of killing the engine ,which I prefer is to hook-up your choke to a servo, now you can choke the enginefor starting as well as shut it off from your transmitter, with no need to add a switch
Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 AM
TimBle

choking the engine to stop it will destroy the reed valves. Bad idea. Better to use an optical kill switch.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: TimBle

choking the engine to stop it will destroy the reed valves...

I Have heard this only from you. What is your reference to this happening?

Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard/Club SAITO #635
"Always On, Slightly Off"

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 AM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: TimBle

choking the engine to stop it will destroy the reed valves. Bad idea. Better to use an optical kill switch.
How do people come up with ideas like this, complete nonsense.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
TimBle

think of shutting off a tap quickly. What happens? Water hammer.

Close the choke with the engine running and it suddenly stops fuel flow. That sends hydraulic shock through the reed valves.
Reed valves are designed for a more gradual (Its still fast) opening and closing. Shock them and they will eventually break. Maybe not the first time or the 2nd or 3rd, but they will eventually break.

You need a reference, I don't have a web source, just a mate whose an instrument maker and a motorcycle maniac. He services his own bikes and takes the service books to the dealerships to sign and sign they do because he advises them on how to troubleshoot bikes they're trained to work on; Ducati, Honda, Harley, BMW, KTM. And no he has not pais to learn to service his bikes, just reading, disassembly and intense aplication of his mind to problem solving.
He also woks on generators, chainsaws, edge and hedge trimmers etc. If he tells me dont use the choke to stop an engine, then I trust his judgement. From a hy****ulics perspective ,what he says makes absolute sense. Shut off any fluid flow rapidly and there are momentum effects that results in damage to the reed valves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.