Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Plane guy looking for 1st car for son

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane guy looking for 1st car for son

I am a long time poster on RCU but on the flying side. I am looking at getting an entry level off road car/buggy/truck etc for my son and want something more than a toy.

We live in the desert so I would like something that can handle the sand and be fun on dunes. My son is 8 so I want something that is pretty tough and possibly allows me to limit how fast it will go but that will also be fun for me to drive.

Upgradeable, easy to fix, hard to break are all pluses. I assume electric would be the way to go but am not opposed to glow. I have all the standard rc equipment such as chargers, rx, servos, etc. I'd like something that's going to hold up but that will also give us an opportunity to tinker with if something breaks or we want to upgrade.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Plane guy looking for 1st car for son

Plenty of options.

Hpi Firestorm
Traxxas, Slash,Stampede
Duratrax Evader
Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk Xt, Phoenix St
Redcat TwisterXTG

The traxxas stuff having the most LHS / Aftermarket support. All of these will be fine for bashing and you can make as fast or slow as you like.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Traxxas I have found to be real user friendly weather nitro or electric. Electric technology has come a long way in the past few years. I THINK all traxxas brushless come with a training mode. (50% throttle) good for your son until he is able to handle full speed. I have a slash 4x4 and a nitro rustler. I am quite happy with both in their own area's. Brushless Stampede 4x4 would be a good choice to. My vote would be what ever it is make it 4x4.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Moontan13

Do you want a kit ora RTR?
I'll suggest a SC10 RTR.It's one ofthe least expensive RTRs ($229), durable, made to be worked on and spare parts are available and inexpensive. It's a popular platform for racing, but the base model is suitable for a beginner.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Gringo Flyer

I have been looking at the right ones it looks like. The ones you suggest are more or less what I was considering.

What's going to be the big difference performance wise in the 4X4? There's a fair price jump between the base 2wd and 4X4.

I live outside the US and plan to buy everything on my next trip. So I'd like to have some spare parts on hand. What are the most common spare parts that I should have in stock?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Get an evader ext2. Top speed can be lowered by getting an hpi 27t motor and that should limit speed to something good for an 8 year old. Its also going to be a fun truck for driving on dirt and over ramps. Fun truck, and its worth every cent. 
It comes without a battery and charger for $120 and all you need then is a 6 cell nimh.
Your charger for planes should be fine for the new battery.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 PM
chase1

you cant go wrong with the stampede or t-maxx. if i had to chooseone, it would be the t-maxx. they are just about indestructable. the maxx was one of my first and i beat it mercilessly. crap, now i want another one. thanks.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

I have been looking at the right ones it looks like. The ones you suggest are more or less what I was considering.

What's going to be the big difference performance wise in the 4X4? There's a fair price jump between the base 2wd and 4X4.
maintenance is doubled with a 4x4, All of the current 4x4 platforms have durability issues and not user friendly to work on for someone just starting out. they are easier to drive due to the 4wd though.

I live outside the US and plan to buy everything on my next trip. So I'd like to have some spare parts on hand. What are the most common spare parts that I should have in stock?
If you get a slash pickup frontrpm arms and rear bearing carriers otherwise not much. Evader ext2 pickup front arms, diffrent pinion gear because the Duratrax one sucks andrpm turnbuckles.
Answers in red.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Gringo Flyer

I hadn't seen the ext2 and will look into that one.

Between the rustler, stampede and slash are there really any big differences? It seems like they mostly have the same components.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Moontan13

Nothing on mine has broken so far, but I was advised to get some RPM brand arms, bumper and skidplate.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
rhowe

for the desert go with 4wd. I personally would get the stampede. it a monster truck, which a kid should like but with out being to big. tons of support for parts... also
Old 03-25-2011, 04:43 AM
airmayle

Basic parts to have on hand with any brand would be bearings, hinge pins, shock shafts, shock rebuild kit, shims, if it has a ball differential a rebuild kit. I would also keep some shock oil, wheels, tires on hand to.

These items wear out just from normal wear and tear. Also there are some items that you need to keep up basic maintenance.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Gringo Flyer

Went with a rustler because it was the only traxxas product in stock. I really like the 50% power setting, it's plenty of power for him right now. I'm looking forard to teaching him how to work with basic tools with it. I've got some of the replacement parts you all recommended and we are going to learn how to change out parts.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Schwarzwald

Went with a rustler because it was the only traxxas product in stock. I really like the 50% power setting, it's plenty of power for him right now. I'm looking forard to teaching him how to work with basic tools with it. I've got some of the replacement parts you all recommended and we are going to learn how to change out parts.
I have the Traxxas Rustler, its a good truck, HOWEVER there are a few parts you need to replace with aluminumto get it solid. The front castor blocks (the piece that holds the piece that holds the tire componants) are weak and will snap if you go off a jump to fast or at the wrong angle. I am warning you, getting the e-clips on the pin were a hell of a time for me, so im just warning you.

another part you will want to replace is the stub axle carrierers. those also are really cheap in plastic and have a really small part that can snap easily.

They come in either Red or Blue if you go with the aftermarket traxxas parts or you could go with Integy or RPM and get silver

ALSO:

since you are in the desert, may i suggest this part: http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...33&p_catid=109
itSHOULD keep your engine cool, im getting one this summer since it gets ungodly hot in my area

item #:
stub axle carriers (blue): 3652A
stub axle carriers (red): 3652B
Castor Blocks (red): 3632X
Castor Blocks (blue): 3632A

If you do feel like upgrading to VXL or Brushless, i have advice on that too, but until then, good luck and have fun
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
markfos73

I will be the one Non Traxxas Guy
Amount of money spent on my Rustler to upgrade and replace broken parts: Approaching $300
base Price $190
Amount of money spent to upgrade or replace broken parts on my Kyosho DBX VE $0
I did have to buy a battery since it did not come with one (2S lipo and Charger $75)
Base price $259 and it is 4x4 and brush less

Both have been ran on the same terrain and track the same amount of time. Draw back to the Kyosho, All parts have to be ordered online, no one sells them near me.

I would buy a AE SC10 if it were me. but just my two cents.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Gringo Flyer

Thanks for the suggestions. We've run it 4 or 5 times now and he seems to do well with it. He really likes spinning out and we even made a little ramp that is a lot of fun. The only thing is that steering seems a bit sensitive for him. Is there any way to make it less sensitive. With my computer radio for planes I just dial in some expo but with the car we just have the cheapo radio that came with it.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

if they have a dual rate knob play with that a bit, it's like expo, but it does both sides at once so instead of your servo going like 45* either side you can set it to only 30* or so you can turn it down a lot more actually, or should be able to i'm not sure i've never run a traxxas product, let alone a tx so i can't say...

the lug