Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 PM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Glad you are staying with the big block.  There is nothing cooler than a massive engine wedged into such a small two wheel drive.  Its as extreme as it gets.

Painted a body this week.  Nothing special.  I am very bad at it and try to keep things simple and let the decals do the talking.  Its not for show and will be beaten on properly.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 PM
JUBE

WHAT CAN I DO TO GET MORE POWER WITH THE STOCK ENGINE, ENGINES ARE VERY EXPENSIVE IN ARGENTINA FOR THE MOMENT I THINK I GOING TO STATE WHITH THE STOCK ENGINE WHAY DO THE THINK ABOUT THE HPI TUNED PIPE ?? HPI86159
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 PM
nitro-rob

I am sure you will get an increase but it won't be mind blowing.  What about porting the stock engine?

I've been driving my e-storm lately and it has a pretty good setup in it.  I would like to see how it stacks up to these ported big blocks because its damn fast and mostly undriveable.  I had to reduce the power and throttle punch a bunch just to get it to settle down.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Road Warrior
My Feedback: (1)

Jube.....Something you can do is port the header. You can really open a stock one up alot. Drill out the stinger as well. The stinger is the part the exhaust comes out of.

Rob.....Your electric is looking pretty nice now. I would like to race your electric with my nitro, but I can never seem to have anything hold up for more than a tank now.

Took it out to make a video and didnt make 2 tanks. On the second hit of the throttle stripped the hex on a new rim with the foams. Fixed that froblem on the same tank some grime came out the one way for first and locked it on and spun first off the cb gear and stripped the plastic first gear. Determined to get the thing going long enough to make a video I locked it in second and ran like a champ the rest of the tank. So when fueling up put the slicks on made a couple passes. 1 min into the tank it started making a grinding noise so I brought it back in. The brand new 24t cb gear now has all of the teeth on it razor sharp and laying over. Plus one of the new panthers is splitting down the center. Total run time with them was 3 full tanks all together. The power that has been brought out of this .21 is way too much for the truck. Brand new outdrive cups on the diff are sloppy loose and the only way it will be driveable is a single speed hardend steel cb and spur. It is a shame too because it is wicked fast with the 2 speed. You can't say I didn't try though.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Fuel Crazy

Wow that sucks. Wonder if it was a bad tire. We are definetely pushing the limits with these Storms.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Road Warrior

Yeah I think the tire was bad to begin with since the axle is locked and the other tire does not look the same at all. Oh well stuck with it now. They also still expand with being double foamed at a high speed so thats problably why it split. Dont think rubber tires like this are meant for going into the mid 70's. Later this week I will make another order for some gearing and give it one more try. Aside from already having the 2 speed this this has cost me just over a hundred so far in just gear replacement and a new one way bearing. All of that and still have not got a video or even raced anything else. My brother has seen it running and only works 4 days a week but has no time to put the tz jato together to give me a run. Think he's scared
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
nitro-rob

I have learned with the e-storm that too much power isn't necessarily a good thing.  I am running a 3-cell battery and a good motor and speed controller and had to pull the power back a lot to make it driveable.  There is a larger ceiling with electric - I could wedge a 6-cell setup in there with a monster motor but it would just break and be undriveable.   One interesting thing with the electric is that as I pulled the power back my traction went up because I was spinning the tires uncontrollably at speeds up to 3/4 throttle if I hit the throttle.

In the end we are trying to drive these things and have fun. 

I just got the t-bone bumper and wheelie bar set - highly recommended.  The wheelie bar has a wide distance between the wheels.  Good price and its beefy.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM
nitro-rob

I purchased a bushnell velocity radar gun now....no more guessing.  I also started my first fuelie ever.  My baja started on the fifth pull and sounded wonderful.  I see the attraction to these things.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Road Warrior

Good call on the radar gun and brand. I have a Speed Trac 2 that is more expensive and it picks and chooses when and what it wants to pick up and how fast just never over your actual mph. The selling point was that it doesn't need to be held to get your speed. Where did you get the wheelie bar and bumper from? Electric does have a slight advantage over the nitro unless you have a high dollar engine with carb restrictors. Once you get the power there is no coming back where as all you have to do is a plug in smaller pack or a higher turn motor.

I did have a chance to drive it again today back in single speed mode. Runs like a absolute beast again for as long as you feel like driving. I did manage to strip another wheel hex again but still good enough to hold a 100' wheelie while completely off of it at about 75'. So I think it will stay a singe speed for a while and as long as the weather is nice tomorrow a video might just finaly end up happening.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
nitro-rob

Ebay, T-bone racing has a store.  The set was about 22 shipped or so.   I like electric and nitro pretty equally but definitely for different reasons.  The software link is a good way to control things as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Fuel Crazy

Only thing about those style wheelie bars is being so close to the axle cl, and so high up. With the original wheelie bars i made for mine, it would ride out a good 20-30ft with the tires 2" off the ground at the most. No good for trying to offroad though since they are so long.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Fuel Crazy

here ya go rob since you have the e-storm...this is my buddys drag e-storm. Same wheel/tire setup going on mine. Forget what his runs, but pretty sure its low 2's in 132ft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84639.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1593311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12167.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1593312  
Old 04-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Zack!

I broke my front suspension arm about a month ago and have been searching for parts for this particular model. Do yall know of any good websites to find these parts?
Also, i was wondering if i could use parts from other similar models to the firestorm. Im still very new to this hobby. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Road Warrior

Zack.....you can pick one up from ebay for a nitro or electric firestorm. They have the same front clip or the arms from a blitz should work. I recommend getting the rpm ones.

I finaly figured out that in order for me to make the camera videos load I have to run it in xp mode so here the link is for the single speed. Just putting around in the parking lot with the foams on so nothing special.[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnGxyAq2oiw[/link]
Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Fuel Crazy

Sounded good Tim. You got pretty good runtime for just puttin around. Are you still on the single tank setup, or did you go back to the dual? Those foams dont like that surface one bit.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:18 AM
nitro-rob

Do you have a local hobby shop you can go to?  I recommend reading through this thread a ways to learn about the firestorm.  There are small things that come up often that tell you what could go wrong with the truck and how to handle it.  There is a lot of knowledge in the past 250 pages.

Road - I like the video's.  The truck sounds good and flies.  I've been trying to get a top speed out of mine with my new radar gun but I don't have a long enough run so I have to hit the throttle too hard and the truck wheelies at 53mph or flips over.  I will try to hit a parking lot and not give it as hard.  Its still accelerating hard at 53, though, and I have pulled the power back immensely with the software.  It amazes me how I have to try to slow my electric down and the nitro has to be pushed so hard to reach the same speeds (I still prefer burning fuel, though).
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Road Warrior

It is with the single tank so i'm suprized at how long it is running on a tank of fuel considering what has been done to the motor myself. Getting the temp to come up is also hard to do. The head has to be covered and like in the description it is at 208 and from previous experience with the hyper it is very happy running at 250 all day. Leaning it out would have made the traction issue alot worse and it would have also eleminated some of the smoke leading to a bunch of people telling me it is lean and going to blow soon which it is not even close to the case. Next time I get a chance I will also grab the radar and set it aside to show the speed.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Fuel Crazy

Well i got my new axle and its all back together. Might get it out this weekend on the old wheels and tires still. Heres a couple pics of the needle setup with the bigger carb.

Name:	Ge96347.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	1594295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16684.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1594296  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 AM
nitro-rob

I was going to comment on the length of the video being on a single tank.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Road Warrior

No trickery on the truck that was only the sinlge tank setup just as it is in the current pictures. The other tank that was used a long time ago doesnt have any mounting tabs on it anymore since it was taped to the old lightened chassis so it is in a box of crap parts. I think that the run time comes from in not being wide open that much. You can hear when it is and the tires are just spinning but for the most part it is between half and quarter the whole time. I would have put the slicks on for the video to get more traction just dont want to break anything unless racing somebody plus it doesnt help that they are on the last leg already.

I also picked up another storm on ebay that supposedly has about a hour on it for 76 bucks. Yeah I know how that goes too. Not sure if it will get setup with the 2 speed and the picco on road motor or keep it the way it is and do some dirt just replacing the 3.0 with one of the 3.3's sitting on the shelf.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Fuel Crazy

Well finally got my new wheels and tires. Nomore hex's with these, just uses the pins all around. Rear tires my buddy forgot to order the extra set of foams...so i strapped them about 3 revolutions. They seem pretty stiff..shouldnt have any ballooning issues.

Name:	Ec89968.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1595691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75498.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1595692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22174.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1595693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15057.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1595694  
Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Road Warrior

So you haven't had a chance to run that beast yet with all of the new stuff on it.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Fuel Crazy

not with the new wheels & tires i havent. I ran it with the new crank & carb... thats when it broke the dogbone.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
JUBE

what think is better for the stock engine de Traxxas resonator pipe or the Hpi tuned pipe???
Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Road Warrior

Good luck with the panthers. That thing is going to hook and really lean on the wheelie bar, snap another dogbone, or something else in the drivetrain. I have found it to be much better on the truck to get it going a few feet before giving it hell. From a dead stop something is going to give again. Too much motor for 1/10 scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.