Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

umx 300

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Real Gambler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: umx 300

I get about 5 minutes with a Turnigy 160mah, 6 minutes with a E-Flite 150mah and 7 minutes with a Hyperion 160mah. This is while hovering a lot. But this is also pretty much the maximum time you should get too. And sure enough, this is at room temperature!!!!

Basically, here's my 3 cents: (heck, 3 possible answers to your problem)

- You're flying outdoor, and at lower temperature. Those small lipo drop capacity at warp speed as soon as you use them below room temperature. As you're getting near the freezing point, you basically cannot fly unless you keep the battery warm, and fly at WOT all the time (this generate some internal heat, so the battery literally self warm itself.... Another trick is making a little mit, and shove your battery in it. The mit will protect from the cold a bit. Still, non magical solution against cold.

- Your batteries are dead. Turnigy battery do not last long. You need at least 150 to 160mah batteries. Hyperion are the best in my book, but a little bit heavier. But even a cheap Nanotech 160mah should give you about 5 minutes (see one of my video in a post above as a proof....)

- There's a major problem with your plane. Does the propeller spin relatively freely or is it hard to spin by hand? Maybe the gears are too thight?

Again, expect between 5 to 7 minutes depending on the battery you use. Less if you end up like me and have to add extra weight to the airplane (glue, glue, and more glue! )

ORIGINAL: drumbum

I have had mine for about 2 weeks and about 10 flights. about the time I got serious and really start liking the plane. or should i say really LOVING the plane I notice my batteries don't last long at all then it starts pulsing as if the ESC is going to cut off.Then after a short time it does. I get maybe a 2 min hover and it is pulsing with one battery.. I cant even fly 30 seconds with other and its pulsing without hovering.. both packs are 150MAH E-flights. im beginning to lean toward the ESC in the plane because after it shuts down and falls out of the air. I can put the battery in my Vapor and fly it for 10 min.. Has any one else experienced this? what are your run times ?.. Also my motor/ gearbox is extremely loud.. not sure if this is norm due to no plane to compare it to so im not sure about that...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

OK,,, I was flying outdoors today when I noticed this the most and I would say the temp was about 40 so this may explain what has drawn my attention . I am still worried about the pack that didn't even last 2 min since it is brand new,, luckily these packs are cheap !
Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Real Gambler

Yikes, don't worry anymore.... Two minutes of flight at 40 is basically great.... You must have been hovering and going wide open throttle a lot. Trust me, if you can, go try this bird in a gym, and it will blow your mind (your avatar is showing some hovering skill, and that plane beg to hover!). The little mit trick may not even work with the Extra since it's really not power hungry. You best bet will be to wait for warmer days, or buy a load of batteries, keep them in your warmer pocket, pick one up and fly right away... Do not let it cool at all, install warm battery, and fly right away. Still expect very short flight.

Big warning: If you ease off on the throttle a lot in flight, at 40 degree, the battery may loose capacity so fast, you won't even get any LVC warning. That's the only drawback of those small lipos. They are really cold sensitive. On the other side, like you said, they are relatively cheap. Hyperion batteries are much better in the cold too by the way (another bonus), but still, no miracle.

OK,,, I was flying outdoors today when I noticed this the most and I would say the temp was about 40 so this may explain what has drawn my attention . I am still worried about the pack that didn't even last 2 min since it is brand new,, luckily these packs are cheap !
Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 PM
drumbum

ok thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
drumbum

wonder how it would fly with the added weight of one of these..
http://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-3-7-vol..._bxgy_t_text_b
Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hey Guys,
Any idea if foam save CA glue will work ok on the film that covers the plane. I have a small repair to make on the foam part and I'm afraid I will get some on the film and ruin it.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:18 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

wonder how it would fly with the added weight of one of these..
http://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-3-7-vol..._bxgy_t_text_b
I have them in my SU-26XP and they are great!
love the extra weight and longer flight times
Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Kevvy

I got my E-Flite UMX Extra 300 3D Christmas and I love it. My batteries are the 3.7V 160mah 25C and I can still prop hang after 8 minutes.
Love it. Kevin.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0k6PQSuPu0[/youtube]
Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very impressive flying Kevin, nice video camera work too!!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Real Gambler

Awesome video.  Very nice flying Kevin, and you can thank Paula for keeping in so thight in the frame all the time.   Not keen on the music though....  I like to hear the sound of the motor.  (Would also have like hearing the prop strike on the board!).  It's such an awesome bird!

With 4 pilots crashing it very hard, over 60 times, mine still hold up pretty well too.  It's been glued in about 25 spots, I've added scotch tape in about 10 places, and still, it does fly sooooooo great.   For people wondering if foam safe CA would damage the mylar, I can confirm that it won't.  Sadly, I cannot say it will hold it either since I never had to glue the mylar back, but on many occasions while fixing the frame, I've dropped glue on the mylar itself, and it didn't eat it.  (Using Hobby King foam safe CA).

Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 AM
srt10

man I wish I had a big indoor place to fly one of these gems!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Kevvy

ORIGINAL: Real Gambler

Awesome video. Very nice flying Kevin, and you can thank Paula for keeping in so thight in the frame all the time. Not keen on the music though.... I like to hear the sound of the motor. (Would also have like hearing the prop strike on the board!).
Thanks for the comment Real Gambler. I only put music on my electric models, I think it makes me look better than I am, LOL. Oh and what prop strike
Kevin.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
drumbum

Man I wish our ceilings are that high In the gym . Nice video.. now that our weather is in the 60s im getting about 8 min flights. I love this little plane. i fly it in my front yard also maybe 50x100 area and never feel like im running out of roomn. but still wish our gym had higher ceilings
Old 03-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Saburo Sakai

Yo, Wheelnut! I've heard that Ziploc bags cut to proper section size make a great repair aid. Not sure whether that's Freezer or Storage type, but I'd go heavy if you're smashing into trees and pushing the edge of the envelope like a wild manOn the CA I've had as of yet NO bad results with Zap-A-Gap brand "thick, gap-filling formula" in the green bottleexcept for 1.) it EATS some Chinese foam and 2.) has the potential for bulk buildup if not careful. BUT I HAVEN'T TRIED it ON THAT SPECIFIC FILM SO WATCH IT. I hope you learn the easy way, and not the crying game way. She's an expensive bird.
Keep flying, dudes.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Kevvy

I've used foam friendly cyano after a small helicopter took a piece of wing off and it was fine. These are great little models for indoors.
Kevin.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 AM
lojik

Very impressive flying Kevin, I'm only really a beginner when it comes to planes, been flying 3 years on heli's and 1 year on planks, I agree this model is extreamly fun and great to fly, I've had a collision with a Blade mcpx on mine and it took a large chunk out of the tail, a bit of foam safe CA and accelerator (omg i love kicker) and she was back in the air in 20 seconds flat.

Kevin have you reinforced any more parts on yours, my tail is starting to get a bit out of shape and I'm considering getting a few peices of the thin carbon they use on the fuse and wings and putting along the trailing edge of the tail to keep her flat, even if I use another 2 grams of carbon it is still a 35gram plane LOL.

I'm using 180mah batteries on mine, great flight time, around 10min with throttle management, 6-7 if you go hard out and hover allot, finding that the higher c rated batts are great on this model for the hovering and the mid range C rating great for more sport style flying.

Overall I am seriously impressed with the plane and happy I spent what i did on it, plus your really paying for the electronics as well as the model.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Kevvy

Hello Lojik
I haven't reinforced anything as yet, but may add a small length of carbon fibre on the wing tips, as in tight loops you can see they give quite a lot. I agree with you, a little reinforcing isn't going to be a problem with a model which is so light. If you think the tail needs strengthening then I would do it.
I started out using the 180mah batteries and they're are fine, but found the 160mah 25C gave more thrust for 3D flying and I still get 8 to 10 minutes flying time. I have to agree with you, this is a great little model and the electronics are easy enough to add to a new model when its had its day.
Have you tried the Micro 4-site, they are a lot cheaper here in the UK than the Extra 3D and still a fine model. Many of our indoor flyers buy them just for the electronics.
Kevin.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:55 AM
drumbum

I switched to Nano Tech 160s and get great flight times.. I use a glue called Liquid fusion if I can wait 24 hours. The glue joints are flexible after the repair and never break again. I have noticed on my CA repairs it is brittle ant joint but still have to do that for quick repairs
Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 AM
srt10

give the 200mah 25c EFlite mCPX batteries a try
they have awesome power and longer flights
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...ID=EFLB2001S25
Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Real Gambler

First time I could fly my UMX Extra 300 outdoor!  Until now, I could only fly it indoor, in a room with 13ft ceiling. Was fun to have no roof for a while!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKhVRwyJtCY[/youtube]
Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 AM
srt10

very cool, I wonder how much breeze they can take?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 AM
drumbum

Not much, about 5mph
Old 04-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Real Gambler

Not even sure it would be fun at 5mph... Flyable, yes, but fun? This is truly a indoor plane, but who am I kidding.... I've flown Vapor 400ft in the sky!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Real Gambler

Deleted
Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I got my UMX-extra 300 on Friday and yesterday I maidened it. The wind was gusting to 10 mph. I will post the video, not my best. Today the wind was nearly non-existant so I could trim the plane. I am going to be going to full rates this afternoon. 15 batteries and I think this thing is a winner.

Tim

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ISw8kO8aKk[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.