Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

*World Models 70" P-47D THUNDERBOLT*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

*World Models 70" P-47D THUNDERBOLT*

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: *World Models 70

Waiting on the pictures and debaiting the conversion issue.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 AM
flycatch

I'm going to maiden the machine today. We have clear skies and the temperature should be in the low fifthtees. I choose to power this kite with an OS 1.08 glow engine using a VESS 15x8 propellor. Switching topics I want to ask why everyone is switching to gas engines? Is it due to cost of glow fuel or more I think follow the leader. The average modeler flys once or twice a week and during these outings may become airborne no more than six flights. These flights last no longer than 6-10 minutes. I'm one of these individuals and honestly can't figure out why most modelers are caught up in this change. I did stop flying my 90 size nitro helicopter because of the cost of 30% nitro fuel but this is the only machine that has suffered from the cost of glow fuel. I do still fly helicopters but they are in the 50 size range and use 20% nitro which is still affordable. Two stroke engines are still affordable and not obsolete. They are easy to maintain and set-up.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
flycatch

Plane flew great. It took minor airleron and elevator trim adjustments. The OS 1.08 proved to be the right choice of power plant. Experienced in an flight emergrncy, lost throttle five minutes into flight. Flew the tank dry at 3/4 throttle setting. Landed plane dead stick without incident. Upon isnspection found out that my throttle set up had failed. Don't use nyrod in proximity of exhaust header, it will melt. Switched throttle set up to piano wire running inside sleeve. The spring air retracts fitted with robostructs worked fantanstic. They look real and are functional. Using a Vess prop increased my RPM by 250. I'll be back flying this plane tomorrow and experiment with the split flaps. A word of precaution, use blue locktite on all machine screws that hold the servo horns in place.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
LittlePilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I also have this beautiful bird powered with Saito 182T on it. I also have Mc Daniel Onboard Glow and using air retract. I used 17X8 APC Prop and believe me there is plenty power to climb it. For the CG, I have to add 120 grams at the fire walls and make the plane a bit of nose heavy. For the trim,I just have to adjust 3 clicks for elevator .So far after 6 flight with it, I'm so happy with the set up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92683.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1545246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61114.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1545247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75479.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1545248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61198.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1545249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw18772.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1545250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80913.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1545251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27712.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1545252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69729.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1545253  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95311.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1545254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51359.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1545255  
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM
flycatch

Nice plane. I'm new to split flaps and there operation. I set them up with 15 and 30 degress on a three toggle switch. I'm using a JR 10X transmitter which is programmed using its flap function. The servos are slowed down and I have dialed in elevator mix. The plane pitches up during flap extension and I end up manually holding down elevator in both settings. What must I do to eliminate this problem? My other planes use trailing edge flaps and they do not exhibit this problem.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 AM
LittlePilot

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Nice plane. I'm new to split flaps and there operation. I set them up with 15 and 30 degress on a three toggle switch. I'm using a JR 10X transmitter which is programmed using its flap function. The servos are slowed down and I have dialed in elevator mix. The plane pitches up during flap extension and I end up manually holding down elevator in both settings. What must I do to eliminate this problem? My other planes use trailing edge flaps and they do not exhibit this problem.
I had the same problem when the maiden flight aspecially during strong wind. I see there is two option for your problem.

1) Mix the flap with the elevator but make sure you mix it with 30 deg switch position and not the 15 deg switch position or :

2) Add some weight at the firewall like I did to my p-47

Good luck

Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM
flycatch

When I balanced the plane it required 1.5 oz to bring it to a level state. When I flew the plane it took down trim to maintain level flight at 3/4 throttle. Are you saying I should add additional weight to make it nose heavy? What is the reasoning behind only adding elevator mix at the full flap osition?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 AM
LittlePilot

When I balanced the plane it required 1.5 oz to bring it to a level state. When I flew the plane it took down trim to maintain level flight at 3/4 throttle. Are you saying I should add additional weight to make it nose heavy? What is the reasoning behind only adding elevator mix at the full flap osition?

Yes,you should add an extra weight on the firewall. I've add 4.5oz(125grams) on my firewall and yes I mix my flaps with the elevater to make the plane dive. For got to tell you about the mixing,I mix my elevator just only 12deg with the flaps. Hope you clear on that

Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 AM
LittlePilot

Here is my P-47 landing video using 4.5oz on the firewall and 12deg elevator mixing with flaps at my place and see how it dive when I switch on the flaps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzrH-zFnSGo
Old 01-15-2011, 05:32 PM
flycatch

The flaps are dialed in. No noticeable pitch change at half flaps however with full flaps deployed I mixed in 3 degrees of down elevator mix. With flaps deployed at full setting it lands at a fast walking pace. You can almost make a three point landing and the roll out is less than fifty feet on our packed clay landing strip. This plane is a delight to fly and displays no vices on different throttle settings. After resolving the gear geometry it tracks straight down the runway holding a sight amount of right rudder. Using flaps and side slipping to align with the center line proved to be pleasant. This is my forth warbird and I would rate it a ten.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 PM
LittlePilot

You also mix with the elevator huh, good and nice job ... Any photo of your plane ?

The flaps are dialed in. No noticeable pitch change at half flaps however with full flaps deployed I mixed in 3 degrees of down elevator mix. With flaps deployed at full setting it lands at a fast walking pace. You can almost make a three point landing and the roll out is less than fifty feet on our packed clay landing strip. This plane is a delight to fly and displays no vices on different throttle settings. After resolving the gear geometry it tracks straight down the runway holding a sight amount of right rudder. Using flaps and side slipping to align with the center line proved to be pleasant. This is my forth warbird and I would rate it a ten.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM
flycatch

Took the machine out again and flew it in windspeeds ranging from twelve to fiftheen mph. This plane tracked perfectly. I did all the scale manuvers and the wind, which was blowing from the southwest appeared to have no effect on the flight path. Landing presented no problems other than the effect of weathervaning. Takeoff required rudder use upon rollout. I had another inflight emergency, involving throttle and I ran the bird out of fuel and landed dead stick. I penetrated the wind adding a little down elevator and the rollout was less that ten feet. Don't be fooled when you are told you need a heavy warbird to fly in windy conditions. This plane weights about 13lbs and took on the environment today.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
flycatch

Spent the afternoon teaching myself throttle management and flap deployment. Has anyone noticed how the real plane lands with full flaps. It will touch down on the mains with a slight positive attitude and the tail drops almost immediatly. I practised this same manuver and the plane duplicates its big brother. Your landing roll is less than twenty feet. If you land on the mains tail high your roll out will be three times this distance. Something to think about. Our landing strip. packed clay, is twohundred feet in length and about thirtyfeet in width. It seems like it is plenty long but coming over the threshold you eat up a third of its length. I use about onehundred feet for takeoff for scale appearence. This plane is fantastic and a great introduction to the scale RC arena.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 PM
RaiBalboa

Here is my Jug before decals and WWII Xoar prop.
Setup:
DLE 30cc;
(7) S3305 Servos;
(2) S136G Servos for retracts;
T10CAG FASST TX;
GWS Micro servo for landing light;
R617FS RX;
LiFe pack 1800mAh by Hobbico;
Hydramax pack NiMh 1450mAh for ignition;
Robostruts and wheels by Robart;
Prop Nut by Truturn;
Top Flite dummy engine;
Xoar Prop;
Aces of Iron pilot;
Firepower RC drop tanks, pylons and machine guns;
Navigation Lights by Marco;

Thanks for all help on the posts, guys.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really nice,but do you have any other shots from above to see the airframe ?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
old bird

RaiBalboa, very nice job of detailing and wiring on your P-47. Have you weighed your plane yet? I built mine completely stock except for the Ziroli canopy. With the Magnum 120 4-stroke she weighs just under 12 lbs. I want to put some detailing on mine but I am concerned about adding weight. How does yours fly? Mine flies great and the ground handling is the best yet of my warbirds.

Best regards from old bird.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
RaiBalboa

Thank's a lot old bird. I appreciate a lot your works.

I dont know for sure how much it weights, but the Jug is flying great! The drop tanks and dummy engine are lighter..the engine is lighter than Zenoah 26, my past option.
I didn`t have any trouble till now. I always flies with all accessories, including drop tanks.
I'll weight it these days...hold on.

I will post more pics of the airframe, Kostas, Stay tuned!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:55 AM
RaiBalboa

Hey Kostas, here is more pics from above.

Hope you like it!

See ya!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:47 PM
old bird

RaiBalboa, very nice p-47 and a beautiful airfield also. I hope you have many successful flights with your warbird. Now I have to go to work on some detailing of mine. I have the Ziroli dummy radial engine in the shop, and aluminum tubing for the guns. I really like those drop tanks and lights on your plane.

All the best from old bird.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
RaiBalboa

Thanks a lot, Old.

Post a pick of your canopy.

Blue skies!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 PM
bluebird26

Hi RaiBalboa,
Nice job .Is that a side carb  DLE 30 or rear .I have acquired another W M P47   and fitting my trusty Zenoah 26 in now.
Loved the way my first one flew hopefully this will be the same.Will be running a dual RX batt set up this time.
Duncan
Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Raibalboa, you did an outstanding job on your airplane! Tell me, did you have to do anything special to fit the pylons onto the wings, like trim the pylons differently? Is there anything I can change to make the pylons fit better on this bird?

Once again, great job. Your new stuff is on the way to you, by the way.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Kostas1

OOOOOoooo that is so nice...

Have you maiden it ?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM
RaiBalboa

Hi RaiBalboa,
Nice job .Is that a side carb DLE 30 or rear .I have acquired another W MP47 and fitting my trusty Zenoah 26 in now.
Loved the way my first one flew hopefully this will be the same.Will be running a dual RX batt set up this time.
Duncan
Duncan
It's the rear carb version. I bought the G26i too, but it's side carb and heavier than DLE. I'm a Zenoah fan...love their engines.
Post pics of your second Jug.

Raibalboa, you did an outstanding job on your airplane! Tell me, did you have to do anything special to fit the pylons onto the wings, like trim the pylons differently? Is there anything I can change to make the pylons fit better on this bird?

Once again, great job. Your new stuff is on the way to you, by the way.
Thank's a lot, Rich.

The pylons fitted perfectly. You do a great job on your itens...congratulations.
My Drop tanks are not dropable, but removable. The belly tank I didn't use yet, I'm waiting the one you are sending me. I will post pics here.
Easy assembly also. Really nice.
I got losted 1 Drop Tank on air, but I think it was my fault. No problems with the pylons.
I asked you for one more pylon because I had a problem on my FASST RX. I losted Ch1 in air so I had to make a landind only with the rudder.
I sent my RX to Brazilian Futaba Distributor, they sent me another one and apollogize for the fail.
On the landing, I broke 1 pylon and the retracts. Only that.
The Jug is flying perfectly today, fixed and still great. I'm just waiting your new itens to arrive.
Your machine guns are great! Fitted perfectly.

So Kostas, I did the maiden flight. This Jug flies great....really beautiful flying.
I'm still flying with Futaba haha lol.

See you, guys! Hope you like the model.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: bluebird26

Hi RaiBalboa,
Nice job .Is that a side carb DLE 30 or rear .I have acquired another W M P47 and fitting my trusty Zenoah 26 in now.
Duncan
Bluebird26 - could you please take some pics of the G26 installation? I have a G26 magneto and would like to see how it fits in this plane. Thanks for anything you could provide? Also - how does it balance withe the G26? Does it need weight anywhere?

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.