Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FUTABA Telemetry

Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUTABA Telemetry

ORIGINAL: rmh

DejeVu-all over again
sounds like the same old ''arguments'' about how 2.4 offers us nothing but a chance to spend more money
Now if someone would PLEASE whip up a good sound program to installi in the TX .

Not for me. I saw 2.4 as possibly the single greatest thing to happen to this hobby since the invention of servo reversing. So trying to make equivalents to telemetry are false, at least in my case.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

And here I thought it was a gimmick to help sell airframes when a single connector fails. And to spend money on ''hubs.'' And to decrease the voltage at the servos due to losses from long wire runs. And to increase the susceptibility to EMF (ignition noise?) with unshielded cables.

OK, now we're even again

Andy
I was not aware that Futaba sold airframes, so I wonder about the validity of that point. As far as the wires go, so far there have not been reports of people feeling a difference in the planes that I know of where it is being used. And teh RF link appears to be as robust as ever. So go figure.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:26 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes it is the not the initial offering of new technology but the potential it might have as it evolves.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Silent-AV8R

The real test will be 2 or 3 years down the road when we can see how many people are still using it. As I keep saying, I've had it, used it, and the novelty wore off. I will grant that of all the possibilities the best one is pack voltage. But we'll see.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Kupfer

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

ORIGINAL: Super Kupfer

I love the look and bling of the 14MZ and was going to buy one (Needed more channels for a bigger plane), But ever since that software update got relist for my 8FG (going to 14channels+more) I don't care too much about the 14MZ.
Yes, It's cool to be able to take a picture of your airplane and put it on your radio display + much more, but for that price I can buy 4+ of my 8FG.
The 8FG Super is perfect for owners needing up to 14 channels without the extra conditions, unlimited mixing, etc., the 14MZ provides. The capability of photos and sound is already in the 14 as well as the ability to control 28 channels in 2048 PCM mode. Of course S-BUS makes that obsolete in both PCM and FASST modes. It appears the 8FGS is limited to 14 channels S-BUS where the 12Z and 14MZ are not.

The 12Z and 14MZ have unlimited capabilities that probably a limited number of owners actually use. I have the 14MZ and it certainly is overkill for my flying style but I love it's quality and reliability over the past three years.

I currently use an inexpensive telemetry add on (Quanum from Hobby King) for my electric birds mainly to monitor Lipo voltage. Amp draw and temp is available but I don't use them. Onboard airborne battery voltage is probably the only item I will use whan Futaba releases telemetry. I have little interest in the rest at this time.
The 14MZ is cool, Maybe even too cool but it's day's are numbered (It's been around for a long time), I would like to see what Futaba would come up for there next super radio.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
BuschBarber

The 26ch Telemetron. It Transforms into a Robot, Tells you where to go, and then Drives down the road flying your aircraft.

Just kidding!! Not bashing!!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Silent-AV8R

Rumor is that an 18MZ is in the works. 16 proportional + 2 on/off channels. Built in wifi and telephone with pizza oven attachment
Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As the butcher said- a turn for the wurst-
Old 04-15-2011, 04:06 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the radios continue to improve more and more, the manufacturers will eventually realize that the biggest problem their system has is the bozo holding it in his/her hands. But, we are still not there...

I remember fondly when you could yell I lost it, I don't got it, i"m shot down, no control, any time you stalled in a low level turn. That was taken away form us. I use Futaba, but I have to admit that I believe that many Spectrum crashes were bozo-pilot-induced, and promptly radio-blamed...

But that's just me. At the field once, a guy rubber banded his wing with just one rubber band per side. His intention was to go to the car and get more. He forgot, actually did take off, and the wing abandoned the fuselage when the first loop was attempted. The wing gracefully rolled trough the air until until the corn hit it. The fuselage turned into a very fast lawn dart heading home at the speed of bad news... The guy yelled S***** crap*y rubber bands!

So, I admit that not being able to be shot down has some bad side effects... Some people have no choice left but to be honest. Me? I blame Spectrum! (after I hide my radio)

Gerry

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 PM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

I remember fondly when you could yell I lost it, I don't got it, i"m shot down, no control, any time you stalled in a low level turn. That was taken away form us.
That's funny! Ahhh... The good old days that never were. I fondly don't remember those days too...

Bill
Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 AM
TimBle

And here I thought it was a gimmick to help sell airframes when a single connector fails. And to spend money on "hubs." And to decrease the voltage at the servos due to losses from long wire runs. And to increase the susceptibility to EMF (ignition noise?) with unshielded cables.

OK, now we're even again

Andy

The saying says something about throwing stones in glass houses...

Anyways, digital comms is less susceptible to EMi but of course you already knew that just like you knew the product your company markets is substandard, riddled with defects but we won't start that again now shall we.

Today, LBS, I'm buying somepush rods and carbon rods for my Spot On (more on that in theSpotOn 120thread under the Pattern flying thread) yet there I am trying to help a Spektrum Owneruser figure out why his Spektrum receiver keeps loosing the bind to the Spektrum DX6i Tx....
Anyway I reached under the counter, whipped out a Futaba t6 EX 2.4fitted the Rx to his Mugi, bound it to the TX and told him to go to the owner and ask for a credit on the DX6.
Sold him a Hyperion 9.9V LiFePO4 tx battery and a 6.6V Rx bat pack. I found him on the mountain this evening while I was out MTB'ing. Heleft the shop and headed straight for the slopesand wasstill flying his Mugi 4 hours later. The grin on his face said it all. His lost model alarm/low battery warning/ lost signal warning device was silent as a lamb. With his Spektrum it would not shut up.

Futaba is for people who fly.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: TimBle

And here I thought it was a gimmick to help sell airframes when a single connector fails. And to spend money on ''hubs.'' And to decrease the voltage at the servos due to losses from long wire runs. And to increase the susceptibility to EMF (ignition noise?) with unshielded cables.

OK, now we're even again

Andy

The saying says something about throwing stones in glass houses...

Anyways, digital comms is less susceptible to EMi but of course you already knew that just like you knew the product your company markets is substandard, riddled with defects but we won't start that again now shall we.

Today, LBS, I'm buying some push rods and carbon rods for my Spot On (more on that in the Spot On 120 thread under the Pattern flying thread) yet there I am trying to help a Spektrum Owner user figure out why his Spektrum receiver keeps loosing the bind to the Spektrum DX6i Tx....
Anyway I reached under the counter, whipped out a Futaba t6 EX 2.4 fitted the Rx to his Mugi, bound it to the TX and told him to go to the owner and ask for a credit on the DX6.
Sold him a Hyperion 9.9V LiFePO4 tx battery and a 6.6V Rx bat pack. I found him on the mountain this evening while I was out MTB'ing. He left the shop and headed straight for the slopes and was still flying his Mugi 4 hours later. The grin on his face said it all. His lost model alarm/low battery warning/ lost signal warning device was silent as a lamb. With his Spektrum it would not shut up.

That is BUNK!! Futaba is no better than JR/Spektrum, Airtronnics, or any other major radio manufacturer.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:20 AM
MikeL

For a newbie, your attitude stinks. You've owned, what, two radios? Have you learned how to land yet?

You talk way too much for your level of experience and knowledge. It's unfortunate, because you're clearly an enthusiastic guy.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 AM
TimBle

DO I need to buy a Tata to know that a Ferrari is better?

PS: Y'all take this all waaaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously  LOL

Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Zor
Banned

Hello everyone,

I certainly am not the conscience of this forum but there is no need for harsh wording and derogatory postings in the forum.

It only reflects on the attitude of the writer and his/her lack of psychological understanding.

Being enthousiaastic leads to strong feelings that are often expressed. They can be read without loosing perspective and without reacting negatively.

It is even understandable that some people react without choosing better wording. That means without better diplomacy. The art of communication is not evryone's talent. We can only make an effort to improve. That applies to me as well as everyone else.

I try the best I can and particularly avoid reacting to the few that write derogatory comments.

Please, if you have nice comments, post them.
If you have bad comments just refrain.

It is part of being civilized and know how best to deal with our forum brothers.

Zor

Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 AM
DougV

You guys are funny! I went to bed last night and you were arguing. I got up this morning to go fly and you were still arguing, I just got back from the field and you are still arguing. Do you people ever fly???

I hope you are drinking some good beer while arguing, and remember, this is a hobby… Enjoy it to the max.
I will try telemetry when my system of choice (at this time FUTABA) has it available (Although I don't think it will work with all my A123 packs). I will not change brands because of it (I did that mistake once). I know when it comes out, it’s going to be just right, no need to rush something out. We’ve seen that over and over with other manufacturers.

Doug.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:29 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: DougV

You guys are funny! I went to bed last night and you were arguing. I got up this morning to go fly and you were still arguing, I just got back from the field and you are still arguing. Do you people ever fly???

I hope you are drinking some good beer while arguing, and remember, this is a hobby… Enjoy it to the max.
I will try telemetry when my system of choice (at this time FUTABA) has it available (Although I don't think it will work with all my A123 packs). I will not change brands because of it (I did that mistake once). I know when it comes out, it’s going to be just right, no need to rush something out. We’ve seen that over and over with other manufacturers.

Doug.
Of course, you had to rub it in... More than raining, pouring, 45 mph winds here!

Gerry
Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Zor
Banned

Hello DougV,

ORIGINAL: DougV

Same time as you fly. LOL

I used to enjoy good scotch. I have now been abstainer for over 5 years.
I have enjoyed this hobby for over 50 years.

I will try telemetry when my system of choice (at this time FUTABA) has it available (Although I don't think it will work with all my A123 packs).

All the system knows is that it has a suitable power source; proper voltage and current supply ability.

I will not change brands because of it (I did that mistake once). I know when it comes out, it’s going to be just right, no need to rush something out. We’ve seen that over and over with other manufacturers.

Economics is the heart of the free enterprise democracy. Any gimmick useful or not that can bring the consumer's money my way.

When I watch a model flying I have no way to tell if the pilot has 3 or 14 channels, what brand transmitter he is using. I just hope he does not take his eyes away from his model as there is two (or more) identically finished ARF (RTF) up there. Looking at his receiver voltage telemetry is a high risk and I do not want another fellow beside me to be a worst distraction.

Ya ___the sound will let me know the voltage is too low, the 15"dia bell will ring to be heard across town, the TX will shake my whole body, but I am human so I cannot resist looking at my TX display.
Ha! Ha! Ha! ____Hee Hee Hee __________

Doug.
You got it right Doug.

Zor
Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: MikeL

For a newbie, your attitude stinks. You've owned, what, two radios? Have you learned how to land yet?

You talk way too much for your level of experience and knowledge. It's unfortunate, because you're clearly an enthusiastic guy.

oh dear, I must have stuck a nerve.

Iknow I promised youlanding lessons but there no need to get nasty. Would you like landing lessons?I only charge $10 per lesson. I have gaps next weekend.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:29 PM
rmh

Apparantly you do have a gap- between your ears
Old 04-16-2011, 02:30 PM
MikeL

oh dear, I must have stuck a nerve.

I know I promised youlanding lessons but there no need to get nasty. Would you like landing lessons? I only charge $10 per lesson. I have gaps next weekend.
You came back four hours after your first reply to write this? Yeah, someone struck a nerve, apparently...

Like I said, you're clearly an enthusiastic guy about the hobby. Like some other newbies, you want to dive in and learn. You also seem to have a real need to belong to some group or another. You've done yourself a disservice by latching onto a brand. Brand loyalty serves only manufacturers, not consumers. I've got gear from all the major manufacturers and plenty of smaller brand stuff. You miss out on a lot of great products when you force yourself into a corner. You also don't come off the way you perhaps think you do when you write, too.

Part of the joy of this hobby is the amazing diversity of products that are available to us. No one brand or distributor has a lock on making the best products. If you want the best, you really do have to mix and match. If you start to familiarize yourself with more gear, you'll figure that out. You'll also have more to contribute, both here and with the people who no doubt enjoy your company at your field.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:55 PM
TimBle

Is that the best you got ?
Surely someone of your intelligence can come up with a better insult
Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brand loyalty serves only manufacturers, not consumers.
There is something to be said for sticking to one for assured compatability between transmitters and receivers in multiple airframes and with multiple transmitters flying each. When you have 15 Futaba receivers and you want to add a new transmitter it kind of makes sence to buy another Futaba. The programming logic and steps also tends to be easier to pick up if you are moving within brands. The same would be true for any manufacturer.And of course we all want to be assured we chose a good one so we tend to "say it so to make it so" in our own minds. Istarted with Futaba back in the 70's and have stuck to them. It's the most common system hereabouts. But if Iwas starting out or had started elsewhere I'd likely be as happy with a JR,HiTec or Airtronics.

When Iswitched to 2.4gHz it would have been the time to change brands if Iwas inclined to . . . but Iwas not. Idid research for a year before making my choice and Ihave no regrets. Itend not to look at my transmitter and telemetry would just be a distraction.

Calm down, guys. Be glad telemetry is available if you desire it. If you're a sloppy mechanic and are careless with battery managementit probably won't save your model . . . but it might. At least you'll know the cause of the smoking hole from the playback. Personally, it seems your attention should be on the aircraft and bringing it inwhen it starts to act up, not the display. But for overheating problems the temp readouts would be dandy.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:24 PM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Tim,

Thanks for jumping into my conversation with Bill. He and I have been poking at each other (friendly-like) online for several years in multiple forums. He wears a Great Pumpkin costume for Halloween, and I hope to get a blue bowling shirt some day. It's in good fun.

But since I apparently struck a nerve in you, I'd like to apologize for that. You obviously took my kidding with him seriously and personally.

As for digital communications being "better", I happen to come from the communications side of things. 10 years of working for a company called Intelligent Communication Systems, the small shop which created the communication system used by LodgeNet in their hotel entertainment system.

Digital, done correctly, CAN provide better signals as long as sufficient signal strength is there. Once it is low, it usually drops through the floor very quickly. Back in the old PCM days a lot of us (myself included) stayed with PPM systems because the analog system performance gave a warning that we were having trouble in that controls would get mushy or glitchy, but with PCM they were rock solid or NOTHING. No warning, just GONE.

If you run a long unshielded cable, it WILL pick up all sorts of common-mode noise which will often render the digital data unintelligible. While I have no personal experience with the Fut system and can't say one way or another anything about it's actual performance, as an communication experienced engineer I would definitely spend a good bit of time testing the performance in a noisy environment before using it on any model. But I'm a bit anal, I don't like to watch my models crash, and I know how to keep myself from a good many problems, and so I do those things I feel are necessary. Even when writing code.

Now, back to Bill: I suppose we need to start wearing hubs and servo leads around our heads when making childish videos now

Andy
Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 PM
rmh

Is that the best you got ?
Surely someone of your intelligence can come up with a better insult
Not meant to be an insult - just a diagnosis

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.