Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:40 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Thanks I've been though this thing several times. I'm very meticulous as far as rebuilds and set ups. I'm leaning toward head speed right now I did replace the throttle servo. I'll go back though and do a complete set up there then see what the results are. I'm confident that all the replacements parts are straight and true. I love it when I get one like this once I figure it out the sense of accomplishment is awesome and the celebratory beer tastes that much better. Thanks for the input. Keep the ideas following.
Mike
Old 04-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Drumheller Dave

Snowing again tonight...flew 8 battery packs through the msr today as well as the flight sim.......looked up the local hobby shop...appears they have the heads in for the mcpx.....looking forwards to Mon or Tues.......will have to phone and book one.......Donkeys are po'ed...all the hay is gone.......should be getting grass by now......oh well......they were getting fat.....could use to lose a couple...ciao
Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 AM
matty_p80

Jimbo and anyone else affected: just heard on the radio (via computer) of the terrible storms running across the southern states! everyone ok???

Matty )
Old 04-17-2011, 01:08 PM
dooleyje

We did not see much except straight line winds and heavy. There were tornadoes popping all around us. No damage here for us. It was later in the morning when the storms hit and I was at work. It moved so fast that it was over in about 30 min. The winds stayed all day gusting to about 60mph.

Jim
Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Mack66

Soooo...I step out for a few days and everyone goes nuts in here! I can't keep up. Jay is back, Henry is whole again. Donica is on top of her game. JD is safe from the disasters crossing the states, Canada is still under snow. El Paso (Mike) is still windy apparently plus now we have unstable flight out there anyway. Sheesh.

Anyway, I am back. And now for your latest installment of the Rat Club Chronicles.

It has been soooo windy around here that everyone has been holed up waiting for "the big day." Well it came on Wednesday this last week. Ronnie called. Greg and his sweetie were safely off to Hawaii, and the rest of us were free to fly on our own. Only if the winds would die down to below 25mph. Well it happened, finally. Wednesday brought us 5mph average with gusts to 15mph. So I put the Phoenix in the truck and headed out. Once there, I did the usual preflight and even ran up the engine while someone else was flying. I was ready!

Jim flew. Ronnie flew. Joel flew his 40% YAK. It was my turn! I took her out and started into flying lazy 8's. I was flying South to North and we had Southerly winds so turning into the wind from the left was giving me trouble. It had been a while, so found myself a little thumb heavy on the rudder on the turn back to the South. OK, so I was working on smothing it out, when all of the sudden, my sweet Sceadu sort of "stopped" during my turn back to the South. I gave it more and more collective, eventually hitting the top. The mighty Phoenix stalled, fell through, and hit the dirt. It all happened within a second.

As it was hitting the dirt, I kicked it into throttle hold, but the engine kept running. I had lost control of the throttle! The engine kept running as I tried everything to make it stop. No response. As Joel was just closing in on the heli, it stopped all by itself. My assumption was that this was pilot error I had turned so that the rotor disk was facing the wind and it fell through. Since it was only about 30ft off the ground it was all over in less than a second.

When we arrived at the crash site, we found that the clutch bell had melted off and debris had flown in every direction. The left skid had broken off and the left side frame had been fractured. The canopy was still whole, but the windshield was shattered. The battery pack was dangling. State of the electronics was unknown. And the reason for non-response to throttle control? Well one arm of the throttle servo was broken off. The control rod from the other side of the push-pull rig had been popped off the engine's arm. There was NO control left. So much for push pull giving extra insurance! The engine seems in good condition, so I can only assume that either the glow plug failed or the throttle closed due to vibration. I hope. I still have to open up the engine to reconfirm no damage.

On closer inspection, I found that the main gear had about ten teeth stripped. The hub of the lower gear had a hole blasted in it and I assume this was the result from flying debris from the clutch. Probably a shoe flying off after the clutch bell melted off. Now I'm wondering if the gear stripped, causing loss of lift. I don't recall hearing varying rpm before impact, but it was windy and the helicopter was a fair distance away, so not sure about what might have been hear.

Now, I had been "watching" a slightly nipped gear tooth on that gear for months. I even threatened to replace it weeks ago. I mean it is dead easy to do that and the part only costs $8-10, I think. Why oh why didn't I replace it?

Luckily, I have many of the damaged parts already. I have a spare head assembly ready to go. I have replacement landing gear I bought at a huge discount. I also have body mounts etc. So all I have to buy to replace is main blades, main shaft, one way bearing (ok but they usually fail a few weeks after a crash), upper and lower gears, clutch shoe and shaft, clutch bell, tail boom, and the windshield.

The frame was fractured, but I had a Sceadu frame with allignment pin sheared off. I decided to reclaim that frame by replacing the boom allignment pin on the frame. It turns out that if you cut off a section of a stick pin with a Dremel cut-off tool, and you CA it where the missing allignment pin was, it works perfectly. Well almost. You have to use a burr and trim it a bit, but otherwise, it's perfect. Why did I do this? I did it because my Hirobo dealer was on vacation in Hawaii, and I didn't have anything better to do.

Did I mention that the servo tray was fractured as well? One of the weakest components on the Hirobo Sceadu is the servo tray. There is a tab at the front that supports the battery tray, and in most crashes, it fractures in a most inconvenient place. Although it's not expensive, it is a pain in the patootie to swap out all the servos. Well, since Greg was out of town, I figured out a way to glue the bit back and glue in additional structural supports that will hopefully maintain integrity until the next crash. We'll see. I still may end up having to replace the servo tray but it's worth a shot. This way I can begin rebuilding before Greg returns.

Anyway, the Phoenix is now reduced to parts. Everywhere, parts parts parts in my man-cave. By tomorrow afternoon, the epoxy on the servo tray should be completely cured so I can begin reassembly up to where I need the new parts. Greg should be back by then, and I'll have the rest of the parts.

Meanwhile, the winds have been screaming here again, and it's even hard to light up the BBQ.

Mack
Old 04-17-2011, 10:16 PM
cajungirl

Well hi theah you buncha good people,
Mostly workin', some Harley ridin' and flyin'. That's my story lately. Been out with the 'girls' a coupla times lettin' Jays 'boys' chase them around some. And, they've been doin' some chasin' of their own too. We had the 600s out yesterday for a romp and they both ran like fine swiss watches. We've got mine tuned to the point now that it just purrs. Jays is runnin' just as good. I'm gettin' a bunch more comfy flyin' the nitro and fallin' in love. I really like the power and noise. We'd taken the trailer this time so we had all our 'kids' with us and really tore up some air. One of Jays LiPos for his 500 is beginnin' to act like it's run it's course though. It won't last as long as it did and gets warmer that the others. Time to recycle and replace I guess. All of our packs have had a lot of use now and we plan to order in a bunch of new ones. The LiPos for the radios have a lot of charges on them too so we'll probably get a coupla new ones at the same time. I did a lot of my usual sport flyin' yesterday. I need to git busy figgerin' out a new combo of some kind to try. I'm thinkin' maybe something involving more upty sidey down stuff and some of my favorite, hard climbing with some kind of flippity move at the top. I'll use the sim to work it out and then teach it to one of my 'girls'. Probably the 500 'cause she's my favorite and we get along so good.

Hoooweeeee, y'all got all technynickel on here again. I love it when you boys get ta talkin' in the clouds thataway. Reminds me of how smart y'all really are. Jay is serious now about workin' up some kind of connection thingie that works. I know he can get a little too complicated in his thinking when he gets into his technology jones though. I've been listenin' to his goin' on (don't take that wrong, I enjoy every bit of it) and I'm tryin' to get him to think simpler for now. He can work up to somethin' fancier as time goes by. He humbly agreed tonight and is workin' his brain cells on some things that look to be nice. I've peeked over his shoulder at his sketches and I can see where he has erased some long skinny lines and some little squares. I'm bettin' he'll be comin' in one day soon with a little bag of thingies to start puttin' together. My way of thinkin', why not just a switch. Plug in the battery and let the switch take the abuse from the poppin' and sparkin'? Use one that's cheap and easy to replace. Wouldn't that be easier than rebuildin' battery plugs and wires? Just my simple country girl thinkin' though.

Hay Matty,
Thanks for checkin' on us. Been some real nasty weather in the vicinity lately. We've been lucky here and it's mostly missed us. Our weather has been dreamy. How 'bout over there on that side of the planet? Turnin' to spring yet? Get your new digs set up? Somethin' I kinda miss on the road is havin' a kitchen to play in. I love to cook.

Mistah JD,
Real happy to know you didn't get the worst of the weather. Boyo, did Raleigh ever catch it. Parts of Mississippi too. Seems our beloved South is in the path of the bad stuff this year.

Oh nooo Mack,
That's sad 'bout your poor heli. I'm sure you'll step right up and get it fixed though.

I thank y'all for your nice comments 'bout my savin' my heli from a crunch. Makes me feel good when you commend my flyin'. It's you that have gotten me to where I am. It wasn't a real hard decision. When the tail wouldn't respond it was just good sense to not try to lift off.

They keep extendin' my stays here a lot and that's cool. I have two more weeks here now and then I'll be headin' for Kansas City, Mo. Right now it looks like two weeks there. Jay'll be goin' back to Nebraska for part of that time to take care of some things there and make sure his place hasn't blown away. Just a few days ago they had a spring blizzard there and got six inches of snow with some real nasty winds. Talked with Debi today and most of that has already melted off and their temps are risin' some. Weird weather everywhere it seems.

Gotta go and get some sleepy time. Back to work in the mornin'.

Please be safe healthy and happy,

Donica
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
David867

Hey Everyone!

Spectacular crash Mack! Thank you for describing it in great detail! Jim believes: if you're going to crash, make it spectacular! You did exactly that ;o) Good job!
Is it possible to convert to electric if the motor is broken? That would be fun.

Donica, I've sometimes taken off without checking my controls on the skids first, my tail started to spin and about 2 revolutions later I got it to land, almost crashed but managed to not tip over. It's good practice to always check your controls before jumping into the air, but that requires discipline! I don't always have the patience for that. It's good that some of you do tho, it'll save you from trouble!

A switch would be a good idea.
Also, I was thinking that it's mainly the capacitors taking the blunt of the surge, since they are creating a short across the input leads of the ESC when discharged, so effectively, you're plugging in a shorted wire to the lipo, until the capacitors charge up to the same voltage as the lipo, then the capacitor becomes an open circuit, invisable to the circuit until there's a voltage drop, where it'll supply current to try and keep the DC power constant, or "condition" the power.
So the arc might not be that bad for the electronics after all, it's just the capacitors taking it all.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Cheers,

David.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Chopper Chuck

Hi all: Been busy and been flying too. Helpin my buddy learn the SR. He's doin great too.

Regarding surge suppression: We know arching is not good. An intermittent or otherrwise less than solid connection is bad for anything electrical, but especially bad for electronics. When space and weight are not a factor, virtually anything can be done. I am responsible for a 24x7x365 data center operation, a relatively small footprint, but highly sophisticated. I have about a .5 megawatt load with full UPS and isolation, which, during a utility company power failure, I seamlessly transfer to a 1 megawatt backup generator via fully automated switchgear. As long as I can get diesel fuel, the North American power grid cannot hold me for ransom! I think it's important to remember what were protecting. The receiver and servos and gyro should be more susceptible to damage than is the ESC at plug in. At plug in, the current draw is minimal, since the motors are not calling for load. It is my opinion that installing a switch on the receiver feed is prudent regardless of anything else, given exposure to that gear and the fact that a switch capable of handling that small current load will be physically quite small and easily accommodated, even in the smaller helis that Choppy flies. I also like the idea of installing a circuit for more protection, given space will accommodate it. I also suggest that the use of 2 separate battery connectors (one for each lead as opposed to a unified + &- plug) immediately reduces the opportunity of a "hot"'fumble at plug-in by 50% ir some number that an exercise in prob & stats could support (if amyone is up to that rigor) and makes sense.

So that's the Chopster's view from the noob's observation point. Have a superb day everyone! I loves ya all!

Le Chop
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 AM
David867

Hey Chuck,

That's a cool data center you got there! That's a massive UPS loading you can have!!!! Damn!! Haha. You must have a lot connected!

As for the arc, I don't think it gets past the capacitor, because it's connected in parallel with input power to the ESC. So the capacitors are causing the arc by creating a dead short across the positive and negative wires we plug into the lipo.
We could always check this by connecting the esc without capacitors but I think they were meant to allow us to connect the esc with a slow ramping voltage, so that might not be a good idea, or it may not really matter if it's only a few times.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Chopper Chuck

Yo David:
Yeah, we treat the date center like a hospital and the entire infrastructure architecture is on life support!

This has been a good topic. The meat and potatoes is in the surge. A lot of bad stuff can happen where there is a voltage drop, which
can happen as the plugs are interfaced and have intermittent contact. I've seen weird stuff where a HVAC compressor will draw several times it's rated current load at startup and then running "hot" due to a contactor with worn contacts being incapable of handling the demand. I have always loved the electrical power idiom, which makes this whole E heli thing very appealing. I haven't even touched on the issued you folks who fly big E birds have seen. Maybe never will, but it's way cool!

Have fun everyone!

C Chuck
Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

I'm no expert but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Ok, I hang out with the guys from Castle. What they told me is that if you don't get a pop, stop what you're doing because it means the capacitors are bad.

The Jet Ranger (10s) sounds like a 22 going off in my hand when I plug it up.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:32 PM
dooleyje

Hey everybody,, man a bad storm line after all. We were lucky here at the lake.

Mack,, oh man sorry to hear of the mishap. Please replace the parts and not glue them. The tray gets lot o stress is on that end of the EVO. Better part of valor is to toss the bad parts. I know first had about is being a pain but I rather change it than to have another crash.

I have not done any flying for a couple of days.. the wind is simply too high and looks like it will be here awhile.

The talk about a switch is interesting and workable if you can find one with really low resistance and the ability to handle 100+ amps of DC power. And and small enough to work. I am sure there is something out there that is workable.

David I did not have time to change my connectors but hopefully soon.

Donica yeah we live in tornado alley and some of the storms are terrifying. I am glad your getting some flying.

Drum hang in there the weathwr will turn nice soon. Did you get a MCPX yet.

Choppy do you have a big warehouse you can fly in?

Andy........

Later
Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Chopper Chuck

Yo Jim: No warehouse for Chop and flyin outside in recent weather is like going to another kind of house that starts with a W - ! Hee Hee, yeah, the Whitehouse!
Andy! A HELIday Inn Express! That's cool man! Did the Magic Fingers have surge suppression? Speaking of magic, I've got a thing for your Jet Ranger! Oh yeah!

Wonder what became of Mike's Vario?? Gotta find that video again...

And Mack! I feel way better since I got another jolt of the RAT CLUB CHRONICLES (RCC)! The crash gave me a headache though!

Donica: You just keep on pushin all the envelopes!

Thumb: How's the Blue Highways plan progressing?

Matty! Hows the kitchen???

Everyone! Glad to see things are always moving forward!

My mCPX is flyin great, but the SR never flys right with the aluminum upgrades! I tweak EVERYTHING to most finite degree possible, but it seems to prefer the plastic stuff, but I refuse to go back!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Mack66

What is up with these storms??? Y'all back East hunker down. Looks like another bad one coming your way. Please be safe.

Just talked to Greg. He's got all my parts in stock so will pick those up late tomorrow so I can start rebuilding the Phoenix. Should be fun, and besides it's STILL WINDY here!!!

Choppster, I think you've got cabin fever up there. You need some good weather so's you can get out more. Your data center sounds cool, but it can't be THAT cool!

Ah Donica! Sport flyin' huh? I was almost ready to do my first loop, and now this had to happen. That's okay. I'm still lookin' forward to it. You mean if I fly upsidey down right now I'll be ahead of you? I thought you already were flying upsidey down. Well, you gots lots more helicopters than I do anyways.

Jay...don't electrocute yourself. Being inventive is okay up to a point...heh.

Cuda, since it's close to Easter are you sure that wasn't a Holiday Inn Eggspress?

Speaking of getting out David are you? Or are you still simming while commuting?

Oh, and about the crash I've been informed by he who has much more experience than I that he has never heard of stripping gears mid-flight. Maybe lose a tooth and then some power then land. But not as I was hoping for an excuse. Heh. [&o]

Well, my wife and I will be running errands and picking up parts tomorrow. Then Wednesday we both go in for stress tests and echo-cardiograms. But we've been studying* for our tests so hope to do well! We take "togetherness" to a new level around here.

Stay safe from the storms everyone, and fly as much as you can!

Mack

* We've been walking over seven miles a day at least four times a week now for a while.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 PM
David867

Andy, I'm glad you shared that with us! I also think it's the capacitors causing the dead short, and in doing that, it's taking the blunt of the "surge", so that the ESC is only exposed to conditioned power, 0-12.6V over a range of time instead of instantly. Makes sense right? Adding more capacitors will make our systems even better. Spectrum has a capacitor they sell that plugs into the Rx, it's supposed to stop the brown outs and loss of control, that was before they came up with the new 1.6 firmware for the AR6100 tho, now it reconnects instantly after a brown out.

You guys know what we all need? A SuperSwitch with an 18ga connection to battery! It's only $5495 for a 2 pak! hahahah. I'll just buy 2 for $29.95 each...

Hey Mack! Glad to hear you got your parts in, we all know how that feels, feels like Christmas right before you pick up your presents and open them up! There are always upsides to crashing, you get to buy new toys ;o)

I actually haven't gotten out, still bad weather or busy when it's sunny! That's life on the west coast, or "wet coast" as we call it.

Chuck, I bet your data center IS COOL!! Mack, I bet it's cool enough so that you can cut ice with your nipples!! HAHAHHA. They usually keep them pretty darn cold, especially when the mechanical guys put double the amount of cooling in there that it needs, hahah. Good for the electronics tho. I bet they did, sounds like your UPS is probably over designed too.
Do you guys cycle your batteries? Or do the UPSes cycle them? That would increase their lifespan I bet. Kinda like our lipos, except they don't like too much of a discharge, and not too fast.

Hey Jim, I'm in the same boat, have all the connectors, but haven't had time to do the entire swap, it's tricky because you have to do it all at once, or else you're stuck with a heli that doesn't work with all the batts. haha. So you need a few hours free, uninterrupted!
No worries, we'll get it done.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Cheers!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 AM
dooleyje

Electrocution.....generaly what happens just after someone yells " HEY Y'll Wassch Dis"[sm=bananahead.gif]

Jim
Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

LOL Jim.

@ David....I have a picture I need to dig up on my home pc, you'll love it, the ESC from a 700 that produces like 14hp.

So I have an interesting meeting later, PGA Tours wants to do some filming at TPC Sawgrass with a camera mounted to one my of choppers to film the course or parts of it. Nothing with spectators or golfers around though. I've never photographed golf but I'm going to try to get a press pass out of the deal so I can give it a shot. Why couldn't it be an NHL team though? I couldn't really be bothered with golf.

Electric Fly In in Jacksonville May 20-22, helis, planks, motor gliders, whatever as long as its electric. The Castle gang will be here along with Darrell Sprayberry who's Jet Ranger will make mine look like "the little red one" will be here. Y'all can consider this a personal invite from the CD
Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 AM
one thumb

The Beemer is more heavy than this old boy is used to so I'm in a get used to more weight at stops. On the move, no problem, stopping, it's time to be careful. Been ~ 25 years since I had a road bike.

All this talk about ESCs must have made one of mine jealous. I'm building/assembling a Beaver plank and while testing the servos for left right orientation, I spooled up the motor, it started to spin and then got erratic, on, off, on then stop. The ESC is a 60 amp e-Flite and I have a "spare" 20 amp here so I put it in the circuit. Everything worked with the 20 amp in place so I called Horizon hobby for help. There is now a new one on the way, no charge and don't send the old one back, they "haven't had a problem with me". Horizon seems to treat you well.
Karl
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 AM
David867

Andy that's awesome! Golf is a perfect place to do aerial photography!! It'll be spectacular, you'll have to post some of the video. Jacksonville is the place to be May 20-22! It'll be fantastic I'm sure!

Karl, that's awesome how they just sent you a new one. That's customer service to talk about, can't really beat that. It's nice when companies treat you like customers!
My Thunder Power 610C's screen went dark, common problem, and after 2 years I decided to ask them about it, they just said send it back, we'll replace it. I sent it back and a brand new one came back to me! It was good customer service!

It's sunny and warm out, but I'm heading to work. Will be done when the sun goes down, oh well.
Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Cheers,

David.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Chopper Chuck

Hi everyone!

Andy: Doing video via chopper at TPC Sawgrass is incredible! What a beautiful place! Wish I had that opportunity, but my video would be 30 seconds of heli mangling!

Thumb: You've got the Beemer covered man!

Jim: . BTW: what are you using in swash mix for the SR in a DX7? I can't seem to locate this, although I think you posted it previously.

Choppy!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Chopper Chuck

Mr. Thumb. That's cool regarding Horizon customer service and so typical of them. I've had the same type of experience on numerous occasions. They won't mess around shipping it either!

Next thing you should do is to take some FPV video riding the Beemer!

Chop
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
dooleyje

The swash mix I use was 65, 65, 65 you may need to reverse one of the channels.

Jim
Old 04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
matty_p80

hey 'Cuda!

there are things afoot in the old Blighty land with regards to the use of aerial camera equipment on RC models for monetary gain! Essentially the C.A.A. (Campaign Against Aviation) - the British equivalent of the F.A.A. - have stuck their oar in and now anyone who uses an RC model with photo/video equipment for monetary gain, has to have their (CAA's) approved licence, which is almost as complicated as owning a real one! you have to go to an approved centre (of which there is only one in the country at the moment!) and do a written and practical examination on the flying of your own model plus have a detailed and up to date log book of all flights, maintenance, etc.!!!!!!!!

so, no more doing your neighbour's buddy a favour for a few quid doing some aerial shots of the new house! apparently it is a large fine and possible prison time if caught without this new licence and flying over built up areas taking photos!

choppy, the kitchen is almost done, we have a working oven and hob as of this evening and just need to get some more fittings for the sink and faucet!!

i have a three day w/e, so hope to get budgie up and running and do some proper flying (been flying the Su26xp all week and am pining for my heli!)! everyone, hope you have a lovely and enjoyable easter w/e!

late now (0100 hrs) so will get some shut eye so i can make the most of my time off!

peace

out

Matty )
Old 04-21-2011, 03:09 PM
matty_p80

dunno whas on here!!! did a duplicte post!

M. )
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Mack66

Matty,

I'm wondering how long it will take everyone in these pages to figure out what a "hob" is. Over my career, I spent several months in England so I know many of the different words y'all use there. But this is one I had to look up! My question for you on the kitchen is where's the stove top? The burners. You know, the thingies you cook stuff in pots upon. You can't fry an egg in the oven. Well, technically you can. But you know what I mean.

By the way, I've spent so much time in your homeland that they won't let me give blood here. Something about mad cow disease or something. I've never been mad at a cow in my life!

All,

Sooo, I've been busy with everything but working on rebuilding the Phoenix. Sigh. BUT! I have made a little progress. Finally picked up (and paid for) my parts from Greg. Today, after having mowed de grass and edged etc., then also after having to drive Miss Daisy to the hairdresser (and visit the Liquor Store to buy provisions) I finally got to sit down and resume working on the wounded Sceadu. Remember Mike's project with the dirty wrecks? Well mine was kinda that way so had to do some more cleanup before I could begin assembly. Cleaned up the Sceadu frame, scrubbed the battery tray, and scrubbed the salvageable right side half of the SDX frame from the wreck and put it in storage.

Also finished disassembly of the wrecked head and stored those parts. I had a spare head I bought off Ronnie, who had upgraded to a herd of SDX's so no longer needed his back-up parts. Bought the head assembly for $75, but the bearings alone in that thing would have cost me $175+. So anyway, I'm now good to go. Attached the battery tray to the servo tray. Ah! But then it was off to the grandson's baseball game so had to stop there.

Tomorrow, more fun with daughter at lunch in Katy. THEN, finally maybe, I get to spend the remainder of Good Friday with my old friend Phoenix. It really won't take long once I get seated at the bench. This ain't my first rodeo. Heh.

The good news is (this is good?) that the winds continue to howl, so wouldn't be flying anywho. The bad news is that we are in a drought and the winds continue to fan the flames of fires all over Texas. We're starting to look like California! Eeeeek! Last Friday when I mowed our club's field, I was mowing patches of green. I suspect we will not be mowing it much longer as all we'll be doing is pushing dust around. All the critters around here are starting to show the signs of stress from lack of water. Snakes are starting to show up on the streets around here. Ducks are moving in to our suburban fake lakes. I hear that the Spring turkey hunts are weird because the gobblers aren't responding to calls (they aren't mating not enough resources). A million doves are cooing all around here. Very unusual. My guess is they're sticking close to our sprinklers for water.

Saturday we go watch our daughter run a half-marathon down the road a bit. Then Easter sunday we're cookin' up a turkey and having the kids over to eat it. Sorta like Christmas without the presents. Y'all come by and I'll stick a drink and a drumstick in your hand. But don't be late because my son-in-law likes the drumstick(s). Urp.

Mack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.