Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C > R/C Sky Diving
Reload this Page >

I wanna scratch build an R/C Skydiver.

Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

I wanna scratch build an R/C Skydiver.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Twistedteddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna scratch build an R/C Skydiver.

I personaly think that the price of these skydivers is completely outragious. I can cut up and modify any old action figure to run radio gear and have movable arms. But the chute is another story. Im sure i could eventualy wade thru the calf high pile of gi joe paratroopers and find a chute to modify but would rather other opinions on scratchbuilding one. plus i want it to be small. No taller than 8 inches. Itl be jumping from my mini telemaster. My dad skydived for real and was into model planes that how i got started. but when i seen the rc skydivers i was stoked! i just dont have that kinda money. Anyone care to help a poor kid with big dreams?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM
mikecward

Default RE: I wanna scratch build an R/C Skydiver.

Search this forum, there are plenty of posts on building a skydiver and making a chute.

The gitchell chute plans are available for free somewhere and could be scaled for a smaller diver.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:33 PM
dmowery

The cost is in the time to aquire ,cut and sew the chute -a lot of design and trial has been done to get thes to preform as they do -225.oo for a chute and 75 for a diver kit - thats is not to much for what you are getting -most plane prices of any size more than equil this
Goo hunting and if we can help on here we will try

don
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
fly103-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Twist,,

Hobby Lobby had a small skydiver at one time, it was the size your talking about. It had very little control and very little forward penatration. The jumpers you see with the higher cost are 13 to 16 inches tall with chutes that are 50 inches or bigger wingspans. They fly forward into the wind and you have good control.. But your right about the cost, it is higher along with needing a larger drop plane.. Dropping small jumpers the size of GI Joes are still a blast!!! I will check around with some of the people i new that had the small Hobby Lobby jumpers and see what i can find.. I had the drawings for that size you want and will start digging to see if i can find them,, Glad to have you on board with R/C Skydiving!! Its a thrill no matter what size your skydiver!!!

Talk to you soon!!!
Ken
Solomon Design
Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Twistedteddy

Ive actually never spent more than 200$ on one of my airplanes. and they are very good models. i just do the same thing i plan on doing with the skydiver. try to use my head and figure out what it takes to do it on my own(with ofcourse asking experiences veterans such as you). i like the challenge and learning. plus. there is a BIIIGGG diference between paying that much for a plane and for a 2 channel action figure. the chute i agree is something that has been thought out but several profesionals and will no doubt be my biggest issue with this project. but considering i want about an 8inch diver it shouldnt be too bad. just need speceifics like. dimensions, materials? (for the chute itself) plus. i always wanted to brush up on my sewing skills. and thats why im here to pic yalls brains. also. for this size what should the weight  be?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Twistedteddy

i actually read about the hobby-lobby (Little Jumper) but when i put in a search on theyre website there was no result... thank you tho and plz continue with all the help u can.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 AM
mikecward

I made a chute from the Gitchell plans and it was very time consuming but turned out really nice. Hope to get it in the air later in the year. Will post pix when I do.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Twistedteddy

i did a quick search with no real luck. can you email me a copy of the plans? [email protected] id greatly apreciate it. also, where can i get the material to make it. i dont honestly have any clue on this.. joaan fabrics?!?!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Twistedteddy

i also hneed to know how big in size for an 8 inch paratrooper... realy need help on this guys. appreciate it.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand your concern in the price of skydivers on the market. I would like to hear your opinion AFTER you sew your own and get it flying good to excellent statice. I have heard our divers are expensive, but I have never heard it was a ripoff AFTER they open the box and see what they got and the craftmanship of the until. They really are alot more than a "2 channel action figure".

As far as your size of diver you need for a specific chute.......................Height of the diver doesn't mean anything. It is all about weight and the square inches of chute area, angle of attack of the chute, and airfoil used for the chute. Get ready for ALOT of research and development, and alot of dirt dives.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM
RiaanLR

Well said Dave.
It took us years to get it right.

Riaan
RC Skydive SA
Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Twistedteddy

Exactly why im here asking everyone else. i dont kno how to do it, but you do. AFTER i sew the canopy and get it right ill think yup. glad i didnt spend all that money. becuz i literaly dont have it. like at all and prob wont anytime soon. and i have all the time in the world to work on this so its gunna be like a side project i throw a few bucks into here and there. never kno, maybe i will get the money all of a sudden. if that happens then i kno EXACTLY who to contact. so it seems like i need to make my "2 channel action figure" first. and then find out its exact weight and base my canopy on that weight? excellent. the hunt is on.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 AM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plans and instructions for thre Gitchell chute can be found on this website.

http://www.mindspring.com/~sanyo1/
Old 08-08-2011, 02:05 PM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well tristedteddy how is that skydiver coming along? we haven't heard any updates.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM
MrGoodwreck

ORIGINAL: GaryV

well tristedteddy how is that skydiver coming along? we haven't heard any updates.

He has sewn himself to the machine, and has been stuck there for the last month.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Twistedteddy

i actualy have been having extremly difficult personal problems. and i havent even been working on my plane... its depressing...
Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 PM
mb3987

You were asking about materials. You can get parachute fabric and pack cloth from ParaGear Equipment or Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics.