Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Trouble setting up flaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 AM
ButteredCat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble setting up flaps

I have a Blaster 2 DLG glider which I am currently flying without flaps. Now I would like to enable the flaps but I am having trouble getting them to work.

I am using a Spektrum DX6i transmitter and AR6100 receiver. The instructions say I should plug the left servo into the AUX1 port and the right servo into the AILE port. This I have done. The aileron stick now controls just one aileron but the flap switch does nothing. If I activate the DUALAILE function in the WINGTAILMIX menu I then get the aileron stick operating the ailerons as flaps, but the flap switch doing nothing.
It's clearly the flap function that's causing the problem but I can't work out how to solve it. I've not used this function before so i guess I'm missing something obvious.

Any ideas?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 AM
grizzly59

Default RE: Trouble setting up flaps

Your ailerons operate as flapswith the aileron stick because you have to reverse one of the aileron servos. I usually make sure the aileron channel servo makes the aileron go up when I make a right turn, then make sure the Aux 1 channel servo goes down. Reverse which ever one makes this possible.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 AM
ButteredCat

Ok Hoosier, that's got the ailerons working as ailerons, but I still have no flaps.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ButteredCat

I have a Blaster 2 DLG glider which I am currently flying without flaps. Now I would like to enable the flaps but I am having trouble getting them to work.

I am using a Spektrum DX6i transmitter and AR6100 receiver. The instructions say I should plug the left servo into the AUX1 port and the right servo into the AILE port. This I have done. The aileron stick now controls just one aileron but the flap switch does nothing. If I activate the DUALAILE function in the WINGTAILMIX menu I then get the aileron stick operating the ailerons as flaps, but the flap switch doing nothing.
It's clearly the flap function that's causing the problem but I can't work out how to solve it. I've not used this function before so i guess I'm missing something obvious.

Any ideas?

If that radio has the Flapperon mix or Wing Type, you should be using that program. It allows you to use Ailerons as Flaps. If that radio has Flap System, it needs to be enabled.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 AM
ButteredCat

BuschBarber,
From the instructions:

'Dual Aileron Wing Type Selection

Dual Ailerons require the use of one servo for each aileron and allow the use of ailerons as flaps or spoilers. This

function also allows the precise independent adjustment of up and down travel, and independent sub-trim and

differential of each aileron.'

So it's clearly possible and I've followed the instructions, but still no joy with the flaps.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 AM
BuschBarber

BuschBarber,
From the instructions:

'Dual Aileron Wing Type Selection

Dual Ailerons require the use of one servo for each aileron and allow the use of ailerons as flaps or spoilers. This

function also allows the precise independent adjustment of up and down travel, and independent sub-trim and

differential of each aileron.'

So it's clearly possible and I've followed the instructions, but still no joy with the flaps.

I have two JR XP9303 radios. I use the Flapperon program to mix the Right and Left Aileron servos as Ailerons and I disable the Flap component by Inhibiting the Flap System and Flap Trim. Some use Differential Aileron to mix the two Aileron servos. Each radio can have different programs to accomplish this task.

In your case, you are successfully mixing the two servos using Dual Aileron, but you cannot get them to act as Flaps. Apparently, the Flap System is not enabled. I don't remember if your radio has Flap System. It should have some reference to it in the manual. I do not have time to download the manual and look it up, right now.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 AM
BuschBarber

The purpose of Flapperons program is to mix the two Aileron servos such that they will move in opposite directions when the Aileron stick is moved and in the Same direction when the Flap Switch is moved. It is essentially two mixes - Dual Ailerons and Dual Flaps.

Apparently, your Dual Aileron mix is only accomplishing the Dual Aileron half of the equation.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 AM
AltaTed

Is one of your flap servos opposite the other side so they both actuate the same direction (both actuated or off together?) and you have both tied together with a wye lead from your radio ?  Be sure they are set in the at rest position when the flap switch os off.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 AM
BuschBarber

I downloaded the manual and Dual Aileron is definitely the correct setting. There is a reference to Flap System, so I would recommend looking at that in the manual. It looked like the default was Zero, rather than 100%.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
BuschBarber

I just got back from my Bowling Banquet, so I had time to review the DX6i manual, at home. Like many manuals, it is confusing in some areas.

Pg 44 talks about WingTail Type. There are 3 choices. Dual Aileron is the one you want. It mentions Flapperon and Delta Wing, but does not explain the meaning of either. There is No choice for Flapperon or Delta Wing, so if you are not familiar with either term, it is confusing.

As I mentioned before, Flapperon utilizes the Ailerons as both Ailerons and Flaps. Delta Wing utilizes the Ailerons as both Ailerons and Elevators.

Pg 68 explains how to get into the menu where you can set Flap Travel and Elevator Coupling for each of the two positions on the Flap/Gyro switch. When you deploy Flaps, it may cause the nose of the aircraft to Pitch Up or Down. Elevator Coupling corrects for that.

I am thinking that you will find the settings for Flap and Elevator, in the Adjust Menu, are Zero, as shown in the drawing. You probably need to adjust those numbers to get the Flaps to move in the correct direction and the correct amount.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
ButteredCat

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I just got back from my Bowling Banquet, so I had time to review the DX6i manual, at home. Like many manuals, it is confusing in some areas.

Pg 44 talks about WingTail Type. There are 3 choices. Dual Aileron is the one you want. It mentions Flapperon and Delta Wing, but does not explain the meaning of either. There is No choice for Flapperon or Delta Wing, so if you are not familiar with either term, it is confusing.

As I mentioned before, Flapperon utilizes the Ailerons as both Ailerons and Flaps. Delta Wing utilizes the Ailerons as both Ailerons and Elevators.

Pg 68 explains how to get into the menu where you can set Flap Travel and Elevator Coupling for each of the two positions on the Flap/Gyro switch. When you deploy Flaps, it may cause the nose of the aircraft to Pitch Up or Down. Elevator Coupling corrects for that.

I am thinking that you will find the settings for Flap and Elevator, in the Adjust Menu, are Zero, as shown in the drawing. You probably need to adjust those numbers to get the Flaps to move in the correct direction and the correct amount.
It always amazes me how if you have a question you canjustput it on a message board and a complete stranger will answer it for you. And if he doesn't know the answer already he will go and research it for you.
Amazed, but I'm so glad for it. BuschBarber, you've cracked it! Thanks!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 AM
BuschBarber

It always amazes me how if you have a question you can just put it on a message board and a complete stranger will answer it for you. And if he doesn't know the answer already he will go and research it for you.
Amazed, but I'm so glad for it. BuschBarber, you've cracked it! Thanks! [img][/img]
You are very welcome. Sorry I took such a round about way, but I had to download the manual in order to refresh my memory. The higher end radios, like the 9303, do things differently.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:45 AM
ButteredCat

It always amazes me how if you have a question you canjustput it on a message board and a complete stranger will answer it for you. And if he doesn't know the answer already he will go and research it for you.
Amazed, but I'm so glad for it. BuschBarber, you've cracked it! Thanks! [img][/img]
You are very welcome. Sorry I took such a round about way, but I had to download the manual in order to refresh my memory. The higher end radios, like the 9303, do things differently.
When I start using the higher end radios hopefully I'll find they have clearer instructions. If not, I'll be back!

Now the flaps are working the next question would be what settings do I setthe flaps/elevatorat. As I've never used flaps before this would mean a lot of trial and error. But no doubt someone has been there and done that before me.
But I will post the question on a more appropriate board!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 AM
BuschBarber

The manual for your aircraft should give you specs on Control Surface defections. Climb to a safe altitude,slow the aircraft down, deploy the Flaps, and determine how much Elevator Coupling you need. Be careful not to Stall the aircraft. Every aircraft is different.

With my H9 P47-150, I was able to use the same valued that another club member used on his P47. We both had the same radios.