Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

NEW Build on a budget! Thread. Need assistance!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NEW Build on a budget! Thread. Need assistance!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Twistedteddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Build on a budget! Thread. Need assistance!

There are a few options i have for the engine i plan on running on my Mini Telemaster, that i ordered yesterday.
http://www.aerocraftrc.com/planepage.php?id=23
Now I need help with yalls opinion on what i could do for reliable low priced quality in this size for good strong power as a docile trainer. I have an ASP .12 on a 5 foot wingspan i could use the cub was converted from a 10 year old electric. Brand new never had a glow plug. I need glow plug, ignitor, fuel, reliable LONG LASTING batteries for using 3 channels on nitro engine. I wanna run it on said Telemaster. Or is there cheaper electric ESC, Battery, Brushless motor,(again low low price for longest possible flight for powerful trainer and future mini drop plane.)

Theres a bundle suggestion from where i bought the plane. Scroll to the bottom and youll see. But im still lost on what kinda battery thats lipo and under 12$ a piece with 8-10 min. flight times running said ESC, motor, and prop. So again i need alot of info. but i promise im going to do a DETAILED build and maiden with someone whose been flying for over a decade and runs his own hobby shop. He doesnt run the electronics stuff in his shop tho he sells mostly his clubs stuff for them and orders quantaitys of some stuff.

http://www.aerocraftrc.com/planepage.php?id=23

Again heres the link i apreciate it! Happy flying!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18126.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1595895  
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: NEW Build on a budget! Thread. Need assistance!

So what is wrong with the idea of using the .12 in this model? At 47 inch span and 325 sq inches of area the MT seems like a good cadidate for using the .12 as a trainer.

If you do go with electric the motor and ESC bundle they suggest is not a bad set up at all. At a flying weight of around 20 to 22 oz it will only need around 15 watts per lb or 15 x 1.3 = ~20 watts for level cruise flight. On a 3S pack at 11.2 volts that's just a draw of around 1.8 to maybe 2 amps once you get up to altitude. The motor is capable of 100 watts so that's around 10'ish amps at full throttle. So let's say what with climbing and cruising that the average current will end up at around 6 amps. To get 10 minutes of flying time out of a charge you would need a pack with 6 x 10/60 = 1 amp hour or 1000 mah of capacity.

And from the prop vs current draw numbers I see from http://www.aerocraftrc.com/otherpage.php?id=80 I'd suggest you use a 7x4E prop on a 3S 1000 or 1200 mah pack to keep the maximum possible watts in the motor down to around 100 so it doesn't get very warm.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Twistedteddy

Theres nothing wrong with using my engine. its just that i need literaly EVERYTHING including flight box, glow igniter, batteries, even glow plug. Would it be cheaper to get that bundle with the suggested battery? Or just buy all the stuff i need? Like ive said i dont have alot of money so id like to see whats cheaper. even if its by 15$. 15$ is 15$...
Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
cortacesped

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model planes, electric or glow require a minimum investment. I fly and build both, small glow and small electrics and I never felt that I saved money going one way or another, mainly because you always need to get some piece of equipment.

I suggest you compare both altenatives, and reduce to the minumum components you need to fly and buy them now. The rest of the equipment you can buy in the future (i mean next month) when you get tired of borrowing some people accesories

Good Luck

Claudio
Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Twistedteddy

i guess that makes sense. and unfortunately i kno one person who is in this hobby with me and hes not someone i see but once in a great while. so borrowing isnt even possible.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Twistedteddy

Is this the right type of battery for the motor? sorry i just dont understand all the electronic "terms" but its a 3cell....
Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Twistedteddy

SORRY. heres the link for the battery. 

Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's the right type. But it's bigger and therefore heavier than you really need. I'd suggest you go for two 1200 to 1300 mah packs so you can be charging one while the other is flying.

Another thought is that the ground kit adds up to a sizeable investment as well. And if you're looking at going with both electric AND glow then a lot of the ground kit will only be useable with one or the other. So you end up buying about some common stuff and then some stuff for glow and some for electric. That adds up in a hurry.

Keep in mind too that you have to buy a proper charger for Lipos. You can't just fudge this and try to use a charger that isn't set up for lipos or you risk blowing a pack and starting a fire.

On the whole it's far cheaper to get set up for glow flying than it is for electric flying. A leather glove will protect your fingers from prop strikes for starting instead of using an electric starter. And a small and simple plug on pocket battery and plug can be used to light up the glow plug. And you've already got the engine so you don't need to fork out a bunch of money. Fuel isn't cheap but a gallon will easily last you for a couple of years.

So all in all I'd have to say that it's cheaper overall to just stick with the glow power option. Even if it means getting a proper 25 to 35 size engine for the Cub later on. You can guy such engines used for quite cheap.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Twistedteddy

excellent. and i can get cool power for 20$ a bottle, i see it online for 50!! yikes!! i didnt think about just using some sorta battery and clip. awesome. thanks for your help.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Twistedteddy

Its been 11 days since i ordered the mini telemaster. i tried emailing hobby-lobby and even calling but got no reply. im prob just anxious as hell but where is my telemaster?!