Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Waco?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 AM
lablover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Waco?

ORIGINAL: skillet92

He means that the bolt holes are two per blade side. Imagine looking the 5 on a dice and put the blades on the side. That is what you would see if you looked at your prop. It is suppose to put your prop at the2 or 3 oclock position for safe hand starts. I have done them all kinds of ways. If you have your engines tuned properly you don't have problems with the starting.

I understand now. The drilling was free and I told em to drill at 2:00 I'm glad I also bought my own drill jig

Thanks Skillet

Joe
Old 04-25-2011, 08:05 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like in the pic, just make sure not to use a to big of a drill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88535.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1598863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89837.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	1598864  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM
lablover

ORIGINAL: vasek

That helps, thanks a million The drill cracked me up

Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Tony V.

ORIGINAL: lablover

That helps, thanks a million The drill cracked me up

Also not all the holes are in a straight line with the grain of the prop. More chance to split the prop on no so nice of a landing were you bump the prop. Just the way I do it..
Old 04-25-2011, 04:08 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone who has assembled the GP Waco had a problem with the elevator control rod exits at the rear sides of the fuselage exiting at different heights? I just now started working with running the rods and hooking up elevator's & rudder, etc.. One of my elevator rods exit's the fuselage over 1/4 " different than the opposite side. It was so far off I had to cut out the exit area and put it in the right place. Now I will have a small patch there and it did not please me.
It comes out exactly like the other side now but the they should have caught that mistake on the prototype model's.
Also, the control rod's for the elevator and rudder in the fuselage exit the tubes at a 1/4 " or more below the servo arm on both the elevator and rudder servo's. I know I can bend the rods up to compensate for that mistake but they should have caught that one too in the prototype.
I made my own tail wheel with pull-pull hooked to the rudder servo, so that is fixed to my liking.

I really like the Waco and besides those 3 issues it is still going to be awesome.

I'm glad some of you have made your test flights. I've kept up with each of them. Good luck with flying your Waco's and hopefully I will be in the air in a couple of weeks with mine....

Thanks,
Old 04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
gt-fo-fa-sho

hey cannon im currently putting one together and my rods exit at the right hights but i had the same issue with the rods being low in the fuse to to the servos. i decided to use two servos for the elevator cuz i wasnt comfortable with the set up they had in the manual
Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
gt-fo-fa-sho

has anyone heard about the brackets for the wings breaking on the waco. the guy at my hobby shop, who i consider to be very knowledgeable, said he hopes they fixed the issue with the wings falling off..i told him that the plane has been out for barely a month right and he said that they where discontinued and they must have re released then cuz a guy he knows had to replace those l brackets cuz they kept breaking....i called GP and they said that its a brand new airplane they never released it before and its been out for barely a month...im thinking my hobby guy is confusing another plane....
Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
AncientCityFlyer

He could be talking about the PICA/COX WACO. I've heard it had a fair numbers of issues. Can't say if the wing brackets were one of the problems. The GP WACO is one of the better arf's I've assembled. I can't possobly see where the wing brackets are weak by any measure. And it is according to GP a totally redisgned arf. Mike (ACF)
Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 PM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

I have heard of the brackets breaking on the 1/3 GP Pitts, but I believe that was because guys were installing 50cc engines.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
gt-fo-fa-sho

ancient.. Ya i couldnt see how they could break under normal load either. Then againg this is only my second plane, first build/assembly however u wanna say it(gotta choose my words wisely from what ive been reading) lol...have a t-28 foamy and a trex heli and only a month into the hobby so this is a steep learning curve for me howevet i did do alot of forum searching and talking to people at the local flying fields before i got into it...@handyman i could see how he could have confused the pitts with the waco.. He did say he is not much of a bi plane guy... Thanks for the replies...if anyone has some tips on building the waco it would be greatly appreciated. Im putting a dle 30 rear carb with an acp 18/8 prop dual elevator servos... Mainly looking for guidance on fuel tank plumbing setup and kill switch/ ignition/battery/charge jack setup with a dx 8 radio. Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 AM
AncientCityFlyer

I've got the DL-30 rear carb in mine. Took a bit of tweeking to get the throttle linkage set-up. Had to do a "Z" bend to allow it to line up with the throttle arm and still go throught the fire wall without interferring with the fuel tank. Also had to cut a slot in the battery tray for clearance of the linkage. Added 2, 1/8" lite ply runners on each side of the battery tray to keep the battery above the throttle linkage. For the other stuff, most of it has or will explained throughout this thread. Also look at post 515 for what I did on fuel lines.

Mike (ACF)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 AM
gt-fo-fa-sho

Ok thanks ancient... I was in another hobby shop today and they said also that their was issues with brackets or something breaking on wings...this has me really concerne now... So much that im considering going with my original option of the quarter scale cub from hangar 9 so at least i could use that engine and fly and wait till more people fly their wacos and get more feed back.. I dunno... Guess im a nervous newbie...
Old 04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
AncientCityFlyer

These WACO's have only been out about 4-6 weeks now and there have been several flights with them and to my knowledge no one has had an issue with ANYTHING on these arf's. I would ask your LHS folks to show you where and who they got their info from. I'm going to maiden mine on Sat. and believe me after it's trimmed out I'll fly the snott out of just to see...................................if da wings be fallen off........
Mike (ACF)
Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
lablover

ORIGINAL: AncientCityFlyer

These WACO's have only been out about 4-6 weeks now and there have been several flights with them and to my knowledge no one has had an issue with ANYTHING on these arf's. I would ask your LHS folks to show you where and who they got their info from. I'm going to maiden mine on Sat. and bekieve me after it's trimmed out I'll fly the snott out of just to see...................................if da wings be fallen off........
Mike (ACF)

OK, I spit my dinner all over my macbook...LMAO
Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
leedees

I've never learned anything useful in a Hobby Shop.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your LHS must be full of crap!!!!!!! I agree with another poster make them show you where they got their info and when!!!!! I have one of these Waco's and several guy's on this forum have already flown theirs and never heard of a problem with this new plane. We are lucky here in Oklahoma City to have 2 great LHS's and they know their stuff!!!!!! Don't let those LSH's flop their mouth without backing up what they say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks and get the Waco,, you'll love it!!!!
The following users liked this post:
jeep36 (03-11-2021)
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
skillet92

My question is did they try to sell you something else or push you towards another plane. I have flown mine a dozen times and I can tell ya after the first 2 or 3 flights I have really started to push this plane around. And let me tell ya the DLE 30 has the power to pull this plane straight up and act like a 3D machine!!!! I am running a 19x7 Xoar prop and she gets. I have wrung mine out and stressed the wings pretty darn good and my cabines are not showing any wear. I have a mix of warbirds and aerobatic stuff and I fly the snot out of all of them. This plane has been a joy and is fun to toss around the sky!!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 PM
lablover

My question is did they try to sell you something else or push you towards another plane. I have flown mine a dozen times and I can tell ya after the first 2 or 3 flights I have really started to push this plane around. And let me tell ya the DLE 30 has the power to pull this plane straight up and act like a 3D machine!!!! I am running a 19x7 Xoar prop and she gets. I have wrung mine out and stressed the wings pretty darn good and my cabines are not showing any wear. I have a mix of warbirds and aerobatic stuff and I fly the snot out of all of them. This plane has been a joy and is fun to toss around the sky!!

Man, I can't wait to get mine done...Wait, it is done I'm just waiting on the wolverine switch..Man, will it ever ship!!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:52 PM
gt-fo-fa-sho

Ancient, I know the plane has only been out 4-6 weeks hence my confusion on how they are supposedly breaking so soon. Lemme know how the maiden goes, I can hardly wait to finish mine....Lee and Cannon, yeah the hobby shops down here are par at best, everybody is an expert but no one could tell me how to wire up a safe fly kill switch. Just frustrates me thats why now i try to read a bunch of different forums and learn by trial and error. I have a flying field bout 15 min from my house but those guys arent real helpfull. I have to drive bout 35 min to another field where they are friendlier and more helpful. Skillet, any plane I mentioned was either a great flying plane according to them or they didnt know..lol granted there is one guy at that shop whom I feel is very knowledgeable and helpful. Do you feel like the dle 30 is over powered skillet cuz one guy asked me why i put such a powerful engine in and i said cuz thats what the manufactur recommended if i go gas...lol But im glad to hear you guys arent having any issues. I hope it stays that way and mine too cuz Im really looking forward to many flights on my Waco. Thanks again fellaz
Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 PM
lablover

No such thing...Overpowered! LOL
Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
vasek

And let me tell ya the DLE 30 has the power to pull this plane straight up and act like a 3D machine!!!!
Has anybody flown this plane with a 26 cc engine? i'm looking for a scale flying and if the 30 pulls it straight up, compared to the real thing it seems too much power.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 AM
skillet92

And let me tell ya the DLE 30 has the power to pull this plane straight up and act like a 3D machine!!!!
Has anybody flown this plane with a 26 cc engine? i'm looking for a scale flying and if the 30 pulls it straight up, compared to the real thing it seems too much power.
It is to much power but that is what the left thumb is for. I am going to prop mine down to a 20x6 when the engine gets broke in. That will slow it down some. But as lablover said there is never to much power. Because if you get into a situation where you do need it and don't have it then there is no help.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 AM
vasek

I'm just thinking the 26 could fit inside the cowl (including muffler) compared to the 30 where one has to butcher up the cowl for the muffler of buy an expensive aftermarket alternative [:@]

that's why i'm asking if anyone had flown it on a 26 cc and maybe see some pics of the install
Old 04-28-2011, 02:43 AM
AncientCityFlyer

Some one on this thread has put the DE-20 in theirs. As I recall it fit inside the cowl with just the exhaust out through the bottom. Don't know if they have flown it yet. The post is fairley early in this thread. I would think a 26 cc engine would fly it just fine. Mike (ACF)
Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 AM
lablover

I put the 30 in mine and yes, you have to cut the cowel. But, I don't think it looks that bad really. Minn has pics. I'm happy with mine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.