Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
ScaleRCpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

I have a smaller 40 size SW and had a repair on the wing and am in need of covering - but I hate buying $50 worth of covering when all I need is a piece 12"x12" of both HANU866 True Red and HANU884 Cub Yellow. A new wing set cost $40. Anyone have any left overs from a repair? I would like to retain the beauty of this model and I love flying it! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i want one bad ! i wish they drop the price about 50 bucks.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
ScaleRCpilot

As an FYI - I went ahead and purchased the covering and repaired the plane and it looks really good. I also went ahead and purchased the 120 SW and am about to begin putting the plane together. Can't wait to fly it they are just a pleasure to land.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:00 PM
ScaleRCpilot

By the way I failed to say it will be powered by a new Saito FA125A. I also noticed that Seagull did not premount the engine mounts to the firewall [sm=thumbs_up.gif](like they did in the 40size) this is good- I did not wish to mount my motor inverted like the instructions show. I may mount mine with the valve covers sticking out the RT side. I am replacing the hard foam tires with Du-Bro tires and will use a Futaba 2.4G receiver system.

Last edited by ScaleRCpilot; 02-11-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: speilling
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 28cc gasser that swings an 18" prop... will there be adequate ground clearance?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

I have a 28cc gasser that swings an 18'' prop... will there be adequate ground clearance?
Yep. I've got a 16" on mine and am waiting for an 18" to turn up in the mail.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Niceee!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Sandmann_AU

I have a 28cc gasser that swings an 18'' prop... will there be adequate ground clearance?
I got my 18" props today in the mail. They're Turnigy 18x6 cherry wood props. Thankfully I ordered two, because the hole in one was so off-centre there was no way it would balance without carving chunks off the hub. Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the big prop on the 120 size seagull spacewalker 2. The prop's too big for scale, but will take off & land just fine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj24056.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	1545107   Click image for larger version

Name:	ql35221.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	1545108  
Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 AM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Actually, with the original aircraft coming in with a 28' wingspan, (making a 1/4 scale model roughly 84" in wingspan) and most of the Lycoming O-200 or 235 engines they were equipped with, turning a prop with adiameter of 69 to 72 inches, making a 17.25 to an 18" prop exactly 1/4 scale. I've had mine, with both a Saito 150 and a DLE-30 turning 18x8 or 18x6 (mainly Xoar) props quite well. No problems with prop to ground clearance.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 AM
AA5BY

Thanks Sandman for the pictures and response. I think I'm going to have to sleep on this one a bit more. I've a Seagull SpaceWalker II 120 in the box and a 28CC engine but our field is rough.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Sandmann_AU

Thanks Sandman for the pictures and response. I think I'm going to have to sleep on this one a bit more. I've a Seagull SpaceWalker II 120 in the box and a 28CC engine but our field is rough.
That shouldn't be a problem.. the landing gear's pretty robust and could easily be reinforced with some fishing trace wire between the gear legs... and even with the 18" prop there's probably about 3" ground clearance when it's sitting level. I fly mine off grass... with those huge wings it really takes off and lands a lot like a trainer (albeit a tail-dragging trainer), with easy lift-offs and set-downs being the order of the day. Of course if the grass is really long you might end up mowing the lawn a bit.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 PM
AA5BY

Hey Matt... I've mowed a bit of the runway in my time.

Locked in by bad weather and nothing needing repaired in the hanger and having cycled all the batteries and everything else I could think of, I had to choose a project and did so today and started work on a Nitro models 73" Yak 54 instead of the Spacewalker. I'll use the 28cc motor that was test run last week. It will have about three inches of ground clearance using an 18" prop.

Most of the reason is I think I'm growing keen on a DLE-20 for the Space Walker and don't have one on the shelf yet. I really wanted to start a longer project than an arf and do have a couple of kits and a scratch build ready to go with plans, wood, wheels and dummy radial but I'm not fully retired yet and am too tired when I do work to build much.

And... while shut down from flying this week it looks like, we get several decent winter fly days here in NE Texas.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 PM
vhal

I have a 28cc gasser that swings an 18" prop... will there be adequate ground clearance?

I believe that the attached photo of my Spacewalker (taken by the fellow modeller/photographer evan) clearly shows that there is plenty of clearance when using a 18x6 prop.

The engine is a CRRC Pro GP26R (26cc), that overpowers considerably this charm lady. Certainly a 20cc gasser would be more than enough for any aerobatic manoeuvre, except maybe 3D stuff (which would be ridiculous for this plane anyway).

Please note the apparent up-thrust needed to fly the plane straight (@5300 rpm), combined with the elevator up-trim (both shown in this photo).

Any proposed solution would be welcome...

Best regards,

Vagelis
The Owl Airclub
Greece
(photos form our club's activities here: http://www.aeromodelling.gr/album/th....php?album=417 )
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: vhal

[img][/img]

I believe that the attached photo of my Spacewalker (taken by the fellow modeller/photographer evan) clearly shows that there is plenty of clearance when using a 18x6 prop.

The engine is a CRRC Pro GP26R (26cc), that overpowers considerably this charm lady. Certainly a 20cc gasser would be more than enough for any aerobatic manoeuvre, except maybe 3D stuff (which would be ridiculous for this plane anyway).

Please note the apparent up-thrust needed to fly the plane straight (@5300 rpm), combined with the elevator up-trim (both shown in this photo).

Any proposed solution would be welcome...

Best regards,

Vagelis
The Owl Airclub
Greece
(photos form our club's activities here: http://www.aeromodelling.gr/album/th....php?album=417 )
Mine runs an OS 160 Gemini twin (really a nice solution because you don't need the cheesey plastic engine heads, as you have real heads either side of the cowl).

I've had to put some lead on the tail wheel to balance it and it flies ok without any added up-thrust or up trim, but when it's inverted in flies noticeable tail-down, needs no elevator to keep it level, and is very eager to fly upward with any added down (inverted down) elevator. It's all made me think maybe it's a bit tail heavy, (not helped by the fact that I balanced it with a heavy nylon MAS prop and have since switched to a much lighter cherry-wood one without rebalancing) so I'm going to start experimenting with losing some of the tail weights.

I've also had to use double the recommended aileron throws and always fly on high rates, or it turns into a very lazy plane indeed. I had standard throws on the ailerons for it's maiden and struggled to turn it around & bring it back... thought it was going to go on it's own little adventure to find the horizon for a while.

All up this is a beautiful plane but I'm starting to think the factory settings are a little conservative. I certainly don't expect to do 3D manoeuvres with it (even though I discovered a few days ago that it can hover) but I don't think some basic aerobatic abilities are too much to ask.

Will have more info when the floods here recede, my airfield dries out, and I can get some air time.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
AA5BY

Vagelis... thanks for the reply. If the CG is correct, then up trim would indicate a slight bit of trim is needed between the relationship of wing and stab and can be accomplished by either adding very slight positive incidence to the wing or negative to the stab.

I don't know the construction details of the Spacewalker... but if the stab is fixed, then the wing incidence should be adjusted slightly.

From the comment made by Sandman... that inverted his has a tendency to climb, that confirms that a little positive incidence of the wing is needed.

I would also check that both ailerons are not up slightly... which could cause the requirement of up trim of the elevator. In fact, if the wing required significant effort to adjust the incidence, I'd take a couple of turns of down trim on both ailerons and note any change for the better or worse.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
MercerAUST

To Matt. I hope you are on higher ground. I was in Brisbane during the 1974 floods and it took ages for low lying areas to dry out. I was only a kid, but remeber being excited because we got an extra 2 weeks off school.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Sandmann_AU

ORIGINAL: MercerAUST

To Matt. I hope you are on higher ground. I was in Brisbane during the 1974 floods and it took ages for low lying areas to dry out. I was only a kid, but remeber being excited because we got an extra 2 weeks off school.
Thanks for that... yeah I'm up on a big hill in Gailes, out Ipswich way. I barely managed to make it home from work today and I won't be going in tomorrow. I just came back from taking a stroll around the floods at the foot of the hill I'm on - will post a couple of pics here (a bit of a thread hijack but I hope no-one will mind too much.)

I remember the '74 floods too, I was about 9 at the time. Big floods are always more exciting when it's not your house under water. Hmm maybe I should change to RC boats instead of planes... or sea planes perhaps.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Sandmann_AU

Some flood pics... and to make them slightly relevant I'd love to try flying a spacewalker with floats off this

Name:	us53096.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	1546286   Click image for larger version

Name:	ez81578.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	1546287   Click image for larger version

Name:	sx60473.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	1546288  
Old 03-26-2011, 02:33 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Hi guys,
I'm new to this thread. I just ordered the Spacewalker 120 and plan on installing a G26. Hobby People ran a sale at $219 for the ARF.
I may have questions.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-26-2011, 05:04 AM
stangevil29

phatbob02,
I'm not sure if you are aware but, the Seagull and Black Horse Spacewalker are different planes. I'm not positive but, I don't believe Hobby People sells seagull models. The specs are close to the same but, the construction and design of the plane itself are noticeably different. Especially the fuselage. I'm just looking at the manuals for both online so, they may have changed. I have the seagull w/ a RCGF 26 in it. It is a very docile plane to say the least. That however, is exactly how it is supposed to be. Hopefully, they fly about the same and you should be alright.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Rut Row! My bad! What did I do? I guess moving too fast.
This will be interesting, thanks for pointing it out.

Bob
Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 AM
bgee

Has anyone got any photo's of the DLE 30 installed without the cowl on? Any hits or tips on installing this engine on the Walker?
Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 AM
AA5BY

Vagelis, do you have any report on trimming success of your SW?

What appears to me is that engine up thrust as well as elevator up trim are an effort to counter the down force of the plane. If the CG is proper, the down force is almost certainly negative wing incidence in relation to the stab.

The problem with making up engine trim and up elevator corrections, is that power on/off trim will likely not be the same. When power is off, the plane likely is not producing a good landing glide slope and needs down elevator when landing.

Did you check the relationship between stab and wing incidence? Very rarely up thrust of an engine is ever set. Down thrust is much more popular because it counters the lift changes at various speeds of an asymmetrical wing, ie the greater the speed, the greater the lift so more rpms will add down trim proportionately. Very often with symmetrical wings and all else being zero, no down thrust will be called for as it is a tool used with asymmetrical wings. Up thrust should not be used to counter a negative wing incidence... the incidence should be corrected.

That can be done by adjusting the relationship between stab and wing incidences... and can be done successfully at either the wing or stab, whichever is easier. With the low wing Spacewalker most likely the easiest would be to shim the back of the wing down to move the wing incidence in the positive direction. Do so in small increments of 1/64". Your goal should be to return the engine to its proper down thrust and obtain a neutral elevator/stab relationship. At that point, most likely power on and power off trim will be the same.

I've got one of the Seagull Spacewalkers for a future build and have made a note and taped to the box to be sure to check the incidences closely.

I'd really enjoy hearing back from you how the trim effort is going... thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:16 PM
JohnB96041

jcb
Old 08-17-2011, 03:41 AM
codedlanguage

I have around 15 flights with mine. Powered by a DLE 30, using now a Xoar 19x8. The best performance obtained with a Graupner G Sonic 20x8. That's why I will try to use bigger wheels and to install 2 springs between the left axle and the far right allen screw that holds the right half of the landing gear on the fuse and vice versa, in order to get more ground clearence. Very good quality ARF. I hope the quality will be confirmed in my next project, Decathlon 120 from Seagull.

Lost both pilots during an inverted flight sometimes double-sided tape is not enough.

Name:	Fd91690.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1649861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39657.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	1649862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30674.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1649863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72595.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1649864  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.