Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Building Tutorial

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Building Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Tutorial

A new member in our club wants to get into building kits or scratch-building. However, the last time he built models, I think Ambroid had just been invented. Do any of you know of some good tutorials on kit building, radio installation, covering, etc.? As an ex aviation tech, he seems up on the flying theory, but wants to build his planes a trait we should all encourage.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Building Tutorial

RCKen's build thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3439708 of a SIG LT-40 is a great tutorial that can be applied to virtually any kit.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I am in the process of developing build threads on several other kits as well, and will start publishing them soon.

There is also more building resources that I am working on that will be coming soon, but I can't quite let that cat out of the bag yet!!!

ken
Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Balsa USA's latest kit, "The Student trainer" is designed as a builders trainer kit. Teaching building techniques.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I was able to look at Balsa USA's trainer in Toledo. It is indeed a great resource in learning how to build. The manual is 4 seperate volumes with over 600 pictures in it. They not only explain how things are done, but they also go in to WHY things are done!!!! they did a great job on it!!!

Ken
Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwurD...eature=related as for building a gp trainer kit are very easy to build ,goodluck
Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I am in the process of developing build threads on several other kits as well, and will start publishing them soon.

There is also more building resources that I am working on that will be coming soon, but I can't quite let that cat out of the bag yet!!!

ken
Thanks, Ken. I started reading the thread and it looks like it will help him a lot. However, like most build threads, there is a lot of extraneous input that gets a little distracting. I realize it is a lot of work but have you considered editing it into a single document?

I can find a lot on covering with plastic film, but not so much on basic building from plans (cut your own parts), covering with silk or Microlon, radio install, etc. When I started out 45 years ago (BA Before ARF's), the club had a training program and we built planes as a group with some instructors. Now most clubs recommend an ARF or RTF so the training does not happen. However, it seems there are still some who want to build from kit or plans.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM
rye

hi
thats why i said a trainer that how i learn15 years ago and maybe a pete-poke it will give you a idea on how to build without a kit just remenber theres a lot of sanding and fitting on scatach building as for the other stuff youtube or search the rc universe fourms and the rc group too remenber have fun you will make mistakes but you learn from them it dont happen over night goodluck ,rye
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you click on the link in my signature, the site has a whole series of videos that Ken and I did on the building of a Tower Trainer
Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
cutaway

If you're not in a hurry, the old construction/finishing methods still work fine. If you do a doped finish, you can be guaranteed it ain't gonna peel off like all the Chinese wrinklecote that comes with ARF's, and people will gaze in wonder at how flexible and free your cloth or figure-8 laced hinges are.

Dope is relatively expensive, but materials like silk (from Dharma Trading) and Dave Brown's Skyloft are pretty cheap, with the net out the door price of a job being comparable to plastics, or a little less even.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
rye

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711624

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419891

JUST MORE INFORMATION TO READ enjoy
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM
franc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try http://www.airfieldmodels.com/ full of everything to do with building
Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 AM
BillyGoat

Well I was going to suggest the Harry Higley books, however when I went searching for a link I found many of the old titles are now out of print. [&o]