Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA / DL observation

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 PM
rcflip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA / DL observation

The problem DA face over the DL and DLE is power, the DA are just not that powerful, I do not own a 60 and perhaps it is an ok power'd engine but no matter how you want to sugar coat it every 88/89 inch plane that I have flown with the DA is a dog when compared to a DLE 55 or even a DL. Money is not the object for me but power is, my DA powered planes gather dust in the basement because they are just not as fun to fly as my DLE and 3W powered planes.

Perhaps when I need an engine upgrade I might go with a DA60 and this hopefully alleviates any power issues.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy, you just opened a can of worms[X(] Those that were already aware won't be an issue but those dedicated to a certain brand because of market recognition are going to on you like flies on honey. If you were to toss the MVVS and BME 58's into the fray the shortages would become even more apparent.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:46 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg,
I have seen NO honed two stroke cylinder that is truely round. Ground cylinders yes I did see. The out of round condition is due to the fact that a hone needs pressure (surface pressure) to take off material. The pressure is applied inside the hone. When the hone passes over the ports, there is less wall to resist the pressure, and the pressure per unit of surface increases. THAT is where the hone takes off more material, and produces out of round bores.

grinding is not the end solution either I can assure you. When the wheel is new, all is well. But operator mistake, and the desire to let a wheel last just a bit longer can cause so muck local pressure, that the nikasil layer delaminates from the base substrate. This is invisible to the quality inspector, but the end user eventually finds out the hard way. I still have a cylinder on the shelf that started cracking the nikasil layer without major damage being done, the loose parts still in place.
Yet I believe that grinding is best. If done well, expensive for sure, because diamond does not realy cut, it gouges the surface, so the operator has to go slowly about his business. That also holds true for diamond honing. Production pressures spoil the brew.

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

ORIGINAL: pe reivers
I see nowadays have honed bores which in two strokes with their porting are bound to be horribly out of round.

I guess it all depends on the equipment.

http://www.sunnen.com/graphics/asset...6bcac2b33a.pdf

Greg
Old 05-06-2011, 01:52 PM
pe reivers

As MVVS dealer I prefer to keep the lid on. Bragging rights are not my piece of cake, they blurr my vision.

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Boy, you just opened a can of worms[X(] Those that were already aware won't be an issue but those dedicated to a certain brand because of market recognition are going to on you like flies on honey. If you were to toss the MVVS and BME 58's into the fray the shortages would become even more apparent.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Tired Old Man

Which reminds me, I need info on larger MVVS products. On a line with engines that could easily handle a 75 pound 3d plane. Preferably a quad but if a real strong twin was available, in production or soon to be, it could work. No tuned pipes if at all possible.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:17 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

BUY AMERICAN AND GIVE YOUR COUNTRY MEN A JOB!!!! QUITE SHOPPING FOR THE BEST PRICE AND SETTLING FOR A PIECE JUNK!! DAVE LOUIS ENGINES ARE A SPORT FLYERS WET DREAM COME TRUE . MORE JUNK FOR THE ARF CROWD[:'(] NO POWER PUT A PIPE ON IT. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Sam-E

I dont live in america dude!!! no need to yell!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Sam-E

Have never seen a BME run, the MVVS is one power house though I will agree!!! I also agree the DLE will out perform the DA, the problem is some people can not handle the truth!!

Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Tired Old Man

There is yet to be made a production 300cc+ American engine that can haul a 50% Edge, at 65-75 pounds, around reliably and with confidence, while light enough not to over burden the desired end result. People that know engines already know this.

I would not even begin to contemplate purchasing a "one off" product from a back yard machinist enthusiast. I'd rather let someone else put their $8,000.00 plus dollars on the experiment.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tired Old Man how about one of these. 35 hp on gas and only weights 14 lbs. will spin a carbon 32x10 prop at 8,500.

http://www.starrair.com/pages/engines.html
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Valve floater

I have one of the first DL-50`s that was made. The only thing i had to do was replace the crankcase because one of the small mounting ears broke.Got it from Jody.Running Bel-ray 50:1. Over 350 flights. Still runs like a top! Not one dead stick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85432.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1605179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10059.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1605180  
Old 05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Tired Old Man how about one of these. 35 hp on gas and only weights 14 lbs. will spin a carbon 32x10 prop at 8,500.

those are for the unlimited class herbraNdson and A CUBED AS WELL
Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Tired Old Man

They are too small. If they are being spun at 8,500 a lot of power is going out the window while fuel consumption is doing the same.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

I bet that 32 inch prop spinning 8500 makes a lot of racket.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:44 AM
pe reivers

The 320 quad is due by the end of this year according to MVVS notes. If anywhere near the 152 specific power output, expect about 36 hp at around 6000 rpm on cans.

Which reminds me, I need info on larger MVVS products. On a line with engines that could easily handle a 75 pound 3d plane. Preferably a quad but if a real strong twin was available, in production or soon to be, it could work. No tuned pipes if at all possible.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Tired Old Man

Thanks. I was hoping it woulb be coming out a little sooner than that. The only other option at the moment is the 3w 342 twin. I'm preferring a quad to reduce the magnitude of the combustion impulse.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 AM
pe reivers

sent you a pm
Old 05-07-2011, 12:47 PM
rcflip

I am the kind of guy who calls a spade a spade, my words are from my experience with the DA and DL/DLE engines. I dont really care if I upset the DA fanboys but people have to realise that sometimes money does not buy the best performance, the MVVS and BME's are also powerful engines.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:14 PM
pe reivers

Don't let lazy-8 see this. Piston and jugs are MAHLE made, just a few miles across the borderfrom where I live. Made in Germany! Oh dear, what has this world come to.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 PM
pe reivers

Theylist a 22x40 prop for that engine. When run at 8500 rpm theabsorbed power is 33 hp, tip speed about 0.8 mach (noisy!), and theplane should be capable of 500+ kmh (300+ mph) WOW!

ORIGINAL: Kweasel

I bet that 32 inch prop spinning 8500 makes a lot of racket.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Tired Old Man

I was offered a couple of them awhile back. Cheap because they didn't work out as had been hoped.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Stuart D

ORIGINAL:
I am a user of both a DA100 and DL100 engines - both in 2.6 Mtr planes. I'm not an extreme 3D pilot, but do like to have a ''bash'' every while and also dabble in a bit of IMAC. Both engines - for my purposes, have been extreamily reliable and problem free.

Recently though I have noticed 2 seperate incidences whereby the DL's have thrown a piston during, in what I would call, extreme 3D flying i.e - a LOT of throttle management, high revs and extreme transitions between idle and WOT.
Both occasions resulted in a complete ''engine seize'' and on both occasions the planes landed with relativly little damage.

I'm won't pretend or assume that DA have not had any failures, but would I be fair in now assuming that while both are extremily adequate for their purpose's, the DA's are more reliable (or less prone to failure) when it comes to extreme ''abuse'' during 3D flying.
I owned a DA 100 for two years and it was my primary IMAC plane for that entire period .
To say it had a lot of flights woul be an understatement , it was in the range of about 250 per year .
When the plane was sold on the engine went back to DA for full check up and re build if needed .
It was said they had never seen an engine sooo stuffed and still running . Now that engine had
a long run in period and after that it was flogged as hard as any could be . While it was said to
be stuffed the engine never stoped in flight and is was a power house right until it was sold on .

INHO there were two things that kept the DA going , good oil and good cooling . Coming from
kart racing I know what a lean run will do , engines DONT GET BETTER .Also lessons lernt
from a previous encounter with a ZDZ 80 showed just how critical good engine temp was .
Every effort was made to duct air flow and to keep a lid on engine temps .

Many many engines later I now have a DLE 111 , DLE 30 and DLE 20 . Using the same care and
attention to detail the DLE engines all have some of the best compression and best power I have
seen from any DLE engine .

As said by others the problems of most DLE come from the users lack of understanding of
ALL the issues at play . The fact that their engines are priced at the first time GAS engine user
does not help there case as a good quality engine .

Give a DLE and a DA to one person and get then to set them up the same way they should
last about the same time . Castig VS machining is a whole other arguement but I will say
that ROTAX and LYCOMING still cast their blocks .

Stu
Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 PM
House2twist

Recently coming into the gas engine size range on aircraft, I was torn between either a DLE or DA engine for a 50cc class airframe. I only ended up with a DA b/c i bought a turn key package. I will, however, say that I have seen many DLE's run alongside my DA and many other pilots DA's and they all run well. If someone hadn't told me what was under the cowl, i wouldn't have know the difference.

IMO, get either engine, run a quality oil at an acceptable mixture, cool it properly and just fly. \

Also, It was nice to read what T.O.M had to say about engines. Lots of good info inside that guys head
Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

I haven't tried the BME 58, but the MVVS 58 is a power house! My buddy has one on a 94" Lanier Extra (the last run lighter version) and it has unlimited 3D performance. The plane is 22lbs and the engine has a 24x8 Xoar on it. No cans.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Tired Old Man

Some have been trying to spread that word for years. Few have listened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.