Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

cleaning car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
demonic_crow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning car

Would this be something good to clean up my electric buggy?

http://www.crcindustries.com/hd/cont...x?PN=05103&S=N

I'm planning on cleaning out my shocks and everything and want to make sure if anyone else every use this before I do so. Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: cleaning car

you might be over thinking cleaning.

what do you want to use that spray on?

how deep are you cleaning the car?

here's what i do:

during a race i blow it off with air after each heat.
i clean the tires with simple green and a brush.
i go over the shocks with a tooth brush for anything that the air didn't get.

after a race weekend i do the same thing except i also take out the diff, clean and rebuild.
take apart shocks, drain them, blast them with a little cleaner, dryand refill.
i take apart my bl motors and blow them out and oil the bearings.

i'll take apart the entire car from time to time, to get dirt out from every where.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM
demonic_crow

I need to clean my entire buggy. I picked it up at a yard sale and it is pretty nasty. Iknow Ineed to clean and refill the shocks cause they are way to loose.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM
tsan

Very nice, I love the Ultima.
I did the same thing with one of mine last year. I disassembled it into smaller sections to clean with soap and water. You can see the pics here:
[link=http://www.tsanrc.com/2010/11/ultima-teardown-part-1.html]Ultima Tear Down part 1[/link]
I filled a large container with warm dish soap, and cleaned all the bits and pieces with various things. (tooth brushes, q-tips etc)
Make sure you dry it really well... especially bits like hinge pins etc. Compressed air works best to get water out of nooks and crannies. If you plan on running it later, you'll want to re-grease things like your bushings. Seeing as mine was getting shelved, I didn't bother with the re-greasing.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just tear it down and was in soapy warm water. no need for sprays/solvents.
i like simple green.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the metal pieces I would clean with rubbing alcohol or automotive brake cleaner (that stuff strips the dirt, just make sure none gets on lexan)
Platic pieces you can let soak in soapy water for awhile or a mild degreaser to get the caked on dirt off, and let them air dry.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
FahrtAutoRC

When we do a tear down of one of our racers we strip front assembly, rear assembly and remove all electrinics from the chassis. I then pull my diffs, rebuild them, pull my shocks, and re-do them, pull all my bearings and replace them with new and shoot the rest down with Simple Green, rinse, repeat. I do this three times, then hit every nook and cranny with compressed air, then WD-40 and/or Jig-A-Loo everything and wipe the excess witha clean dry rag. The end result will look like these pics, and while it is only a shot of the rear section of my truck, it should give ya an idea! Takes me about one evening to do
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72138.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1611347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93430.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1611348  
Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkei usually goes to the track with last week's dirt still on his truck. It's just gonna get dirty again anyway right?[&:]
Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Try a full rebuild just once, TBJ! You'd eb amazed how much better the vehicle goes and works all freshened up!

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkei usually goes to the track with last week's dirt still on his truck. It's just gonna get dirty again anyway right?[&:]
Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

Try a full rebuild just once, TBJ! You'd eb amazed how much better the vehicle goes and works all freshened up!

ThunderbirdJunkie's got new bearings, shock o-rings and such that will probably be used after this Saturday's points race. The truck has seen better days[&:]
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only do it when I get a used truck

My X1 CRT I swear I probably removed half a pund of clay from it. The guy got it literally everywhere (including in the diffs [:@])

Other than that I only will clean a a RC is if I do a bad nitro spill and the oils everywhere on it, or if an electric RC needs a chassis replaced. Might as well take 5 more minutes out to make the rest look all pretty.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM
demonic_crow

ORIGINAL: tsan

Very nice, I love the Ultima.
I did the same thing with one of mine last year. I disassembled it into smaller sections to clean with soap and water. You can see the pics here:
[link=http://www.tsanrc.com/2010/11/ultima-teardown-part-1.html]Ultima Tear Down part 1[/link]
I filled a large container with warm dish soap, and cleaned all the bits and pieces with various things. (tooth brushes, q-tips etc)
Make sure you dry it really well... especially bits like hinge pins etc. Compressed air works best to get water out of nooks and crannies. If you plan on running it later, you'll want to re-grease things like your bushings. Seeing as mine was getting shelved, I didn't bother with the re-greasing.
Actually Ihave an Outrage MKII. I guess the Ultima and it are pretty close those. Read I could use Ultima body style and stuff on it. Here my pic:

Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 PM
demonic_crow

Thanks everyone for the tips.  I will be cleaning everything tonight.  I'm going to clean out the shock and hope I don't have to rebuild them.  Good thing I have a shop near by that have a rebuild kit.  Just hoping the rebuild kit will work out most shock since I wouldn't know what to do about mine since they are old.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Old 05-19-2011, 06:53 PM
gPlayer234

if you're palnning to do a complete thorough cleaning to a like-new condition (if you plan to sell it or something) I usually take apart the car and clean each plastic piece individually with some soap water and toothbrush. For the shocks I usually just take the springs off and wipe everything down with a paper towel and toothbrush, again with some warm water (but I don't fully submerge the shocks). I dry everything with an air hose.

Another way I do a quick cleaning without disassembling anything that works really well is to get everything wet and use an air compressor to spray everything off, I do it after every run and it keeps it looking like new, and it only takes a few minutes.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
gPlayer234

haha junkie, do you actually do that? Don't you get water in the gearbox or something? Not a bad Idea
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Some dishwashers get hot enough to melt plastic. Keep it away from the heating element.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 AM
demonic_crow

LOL, thats great. The wife would murder me if I done that, let alone with dishes in there.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 AM
demonic_crow

Well I came across just a bit of a problem.As you can see above the previous owner had duct tape on the shock for some reason. It left a really sticky mess and wondering how you can get that all clean up. Right now I have the parts soaking in some dawn soap water hoping it will help. Anyone else have any other tips.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 AM
tsan

Ah yes, the Outrage is based on the Ultima.
If soaking it doesn't help remove the tape glue, you can try a little alcohol or nail polish remover. that should do it no problem.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 AM
demonic_crow

Since this is my first RC I went nuts on the cleaning lol. Since the shocks are nice and clean I decided everything else should be also. Plus its still storming here so I'm not going to get to run it until it stop raining one of these days.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
demonic_crow

It took me all saturday night to get it rebuild but it was a blast. First time every doing this and I loved alot. The shocks took the most time since I was trying to fix them which had no luck. I planning on modifying my buggy to aloud other parts upgrade unless I find a rc car for cheap.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM
tsan

Good job, that looks great! All you have to do now is try to tame that bird's nest of wires.
I'm sure you could find some 3racing shocks (or something similar) that will fit that car. Just measure the front and rear shocks, and try to find something that will fit.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM
demonic_crow

ORIGINAL: tsan

Good job, that looks great! All you have to do now is try to tame that bird's nest of wires.
I'm sure you could find some 3racing shocks (or something similar) that will fit that car. Just measure the front and rear shocks, and try to find something that will fit.
Yea Ineed to get rid of the MSC and put a ESC in it. Inotice the EZRUN 60a looks good but you cant find them in stock anywhere. Imeasure the shock shaft being 35mm so kinda hard to find something to match it when some sites don't tell you the length. I might just get some slightly bigger shocks and just slowly convert it to another kind of a buggy. Kinda hate doing that since this is a Vintage buggy.