Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

XIGRIS C2 - Canalizer Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:50 AM
atul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XIGRIS C2 - Canalizer Dimensions

Hi All:

Built a new Xigris C2, using Issac Najary's thread as a guide. On flight #13, the Canalize sheared off, unfortunately.

While I get a replacement (not easy, since I am currently in India - probably the only YS 170 and F3A pilot here :-), I'd like to fashion one from Balsa, covered with Carbon Cloth (which I picked up in Japan). So if anyone can take the trouble to send me the dimensions of the Canalizer, that would be most appreciated. I guess what's needed are the following

The Root (max) Chord
The Tip (Min) Chord
The Total Span
The Sweep-back angle, and
The Dihedral Angle

Approximations are OK. The model flies a lot better with the Canalizer than without. Overall, a nice model, though the CG has to be moved waaaay back (190 mm from the TE right now) for best characteristics.

Thanks,

Atul Saini
Old 05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: XIGRIS C2 - Canalizer Dimensions

Mine has a span of approximately 19 3/4". The root chord is about 6 1/4". The tip chord is about 3" if you extend the leading edge line and measure perpendicular to a line connecting the trailing edge tips. The trailing edge is swept about 3/8".
Anhedral is about 3/16" at each tip, including whatever taper in thickness there is. I don't have an easy way to measure the root thickness.

I mounted mine using Isaac's system and it's solid after about 40 flights. How did yours fail?

Scott
Old 05-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Strat2003

Here's a pic to show the general planform.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86538.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1608055  
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 AM
atul

Scott,

Thanks very much for your note and for the base dimensions. I guess by using the 3/8" TE sweep, one can calculate the Leading-edge sweep. If you have some other, more direct, measure of the Leading Edge sweep, do elaborate. But if it's too much trouble, don't bother.

I used Issac's method as well. What happened was that there was too much wind and the top part of the Canalizer ripped off, leaving a shred of Fibreclass on the top-bolt. The bolt did not fail. I suspect that since there's just one bolt holding the canalizer in place. all the stress (when the model is airborne) is on the fibreglass around that bolt. So, if there's too much wind, a failure can occour.

BTW - I'm not a competitive flyer. I like the 2M pattern models and the YS 170 CDI. I've got the C2, and am building a Naruke Aries Kit. I also have a Naruke Asyuler assembly kit (yes, he does make them and send them out "On demand"). I also plan on getting the new Naruke Azuer kit (The Azure is the biplane version of the Asyuler and will be flown in the world championships by Team Japan I believe).

Thanks again,

Atul

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

Mine has a span of approximately 19 3/4''. The root chord is about 6 1/4''. The tip chord is about 3'' if you extend the leading edge line and measure perpendicular to a line connecting the trailing edge tips. The trailing edge is swept about 3/8''.
Anhedral is about 3/16'' at each tip, including whatever taper in thickness there is. I don't have an easy way to measure the root thickness.

I mounted mine using Isaac's system and it's solid after about 40 flights. How did yours fail?

Scott
Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Strat2003

Atul,

The included angle of the leading edges is about 145 degrees. Looking at it the other way, each leading edge is swept back about 17 1/2 degrees .

Scott
Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 AM
atul

Thanks, Scott. Much appreciated.

Atul
Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: atul

Hi All:

Built a new Xigris C2, using Issac Najary's thread as a guide. On flight #13, the Canalize sheared off, unfortunately.

Thanks,

Atul Saini
Hi Atul,

I have 400 flights with my Xigirs C2 without any problem with the Canalizer.

You probably missed some thing in the building process.

The idea is to disperse the forces from the Canalizer to the all length of the vertical fin and it is done with Epoxy glue not with the bolt, see post 153:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._7/key_/tm.htm

The task of the bolt is to tighten the vertical fin to the fuselage, see post 149:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._6/key_/tm.htm

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60292.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1608909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98409.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1608910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42449.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1608911  
Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Strat2003

Atul, if you look closely at Isaac's excellent build pictures you'll see that the bottom surface of the canalizer is left intact beneath the dowel hardpoint, with just a hole large enough for the screw. I think that's important, along with having a good epoxy joint between the canalizer and the pylon.

Scott
Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 AM
atul

Issac:

> I have 400 flights with my Xigirs C2 without any problem with the Canalizer.
>
> You probably missed some thing in the building process.
>
> The idea is to disperse the forces from the Canalizer to the all length of the vertical fin and it is done with Epoxy glue not with the bolt, see post 153:
> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._7/key_/tm.htm

You are absolutely right. I had missed the step where one glues the bottom of the canalizer to the entire length of the vertical fin. I used just the bolt to hold the canalizer in place and it sheared away just near the bolt (leaving the bolt in place, of course).

> The task of the bolt is to tighten the vertical fin to the fuselage, see post 149:
> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._6/key_/tm.htm

Yes. I see that now. I'll get a new canalizer and do it right.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Atul
Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 AM
atul

Atul, if you look closely at Isaac's excellent build pictures you'll see that the bottom surface of the canalizer is left intact beneath the dowel hardpoint, with just a hole large enough for the screw. I think that's important, along with having a good epoxy joint between the canalizer and the pylon.

Scott
Soctt - yes, I had missed the Gluing part (a Major miss, I guess!). The build thread was simply fantastic. In fact, I bought the model only after reading the build thread. I'll get a canalizer and do it right this time around!

Thanks,

Atul
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM
atul

Issac, Scott:

I now have another problem: on my left elevator, the thread of the top-part of the elevator adjuster has given way. So I need a new elevator adjuster.

Have you any idea where one can get one of these elevator adjusters? Did ZN Line source them from somewhere or were these custom-built at ZN Line. They looked sourced, but I cannot find them anywhere.

Any ideas would be appreciated. One option is to remove the supplied adjusters and re-engineer the elevators to use Gatos Wing adjusters, but that's a little extreme. If a replacement can be found, that would obviously be best.

Thanks,

Atul
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Strat2003

Atul, my friend Dave had trouble finding them for one of his planes and manufactured his own from nylon. Let me know if you can't find anything suitable and I'll try to talk him into whipping up a couple for you.

Scott
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I lost my canalyzer after about 20 flights or so. I probably could have built it better, but I did glue it and secure it with two screws. My problem was that the bottom of the canalyzer was left screwed in to the top of the vertical stub after the wing had flown off. There is a metal plate built into the canalyzer, mine was in the wrong spot I think as I did not drill through one when I built it, and only found out about it after it was built. Plane flys better without it actually.

Tom M
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Mvelez

I cant find them in central hobbies website but i know they're there

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM
atul

Mvelez: If you believe they are there at CH, that's good. I'll give them a call. But they only seemed to have the Gators RC Wing adjusters the last time I saw... a call will clear that.

Thanks,

Atul

ORIGINAL: Mvelez

I cant find them in central hobbies website but i know they're there

Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gator stab adjusters should fit fine. I think Chris at F3A Unlimited may be able to help you with that, would be worth an email to him.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Strat2003

ExFF:
That's interesting. I really enjoyed building mine (although I would have been lost at sea without Isaac's build thread) and love the way it flies. I'm about 50 flights and one contest into it's carreer and I'm very pleased. It's a big improvement over my old Focus II.
Scott
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: atul

Issac, Scott:

I now have another problem: on my left elevator, the thread of the top-part of the elevator adjuster has given way. So I need a new elevator adjuster.

Have you any idea where one can get one of these elevator adjusters? Did ZN Line source them from somewhere or were these custom-built at ZN Line. They looked sourced, but I cannot find them anywhere.

Any ideas would be appreciated. One option is to remove the supplied adjusters and re-engineer the elevators to use Gatos Wing adjusters, but that's a little extreme. If a replacement can be found, that would obviously be best.

Thanks,

Atul
Hi Atul,

Maybe these will fit?

http://www.aeroslave.com/accessories.htm

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 AM
atul

Issac,

Yes. These do indeed look good. I'll give them a call. Thanks!

Atul

ORIGINAL: najary

Hi Atul,

Maybe these will fit?

http://www.aeroslave.com/accessories.htm

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 05-19-2011, 02:40 PM
atul

Scott - precisely my thoughts too. The C2 flies a lot better than the Focus II and it's also much better with the Canalizer on - excellent rudder authority. I guess I'll have to wait for the Naruke Aries to get ready before comparing it to other models!

Atul

ExFF:
That's interesting. I really enjoyed building mine (although I would have been lost at sea without Isaac's build thread) and love the way it flies. I'm about 50 flights and one contest into it's carreer and I'm very pleased. It's a big improvement over my old Focus II.
Scott