Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Images and Video of Arkmodel Elephant tank which is hot sale now!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Images and Video of Arkmodel Elephant tank which is hot sale now!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:58 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Images and Video of Arkmodel Elephant tank which is hot sale now!

Said mention was by people who do not have the model in their hands. Nor do I. However, I would think, without having a kit at hand, that the spacing is correct. Other details from the photos of parts seem to be pretty accurate, right down to the optional smoker exhaust exiting over the tracks under the sponsons.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 AM
StumpyBloke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks sevo!! I really want one of these... am in the UK so hope they come this way... at no doubt over inflated rip-off Britain prices!!

Rich
Old 05-21-2011, 08:15 AM
sevoblast

Rich, Schumo will have it for sure. Don't know about others though in EU. It's a very nice kit. The molds, from those who have hands on with the parts, are VERY good, as are the metal parts. Almost no flash, and usually none at all, and fit seems to be really good. I may have a couple to sell from this shipment, and will reorder probably next week.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 AM
pcomm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bob,

Looking forward to receiving my prepaid kit soon.

The Hooben Elefant road wheel spacing is a little off and confirmed after looking at all the new OEM build and kit photos recently posted.

Photos clearly show that fact, but that does not diminish the excitement about building and running this kit.

Period photos, the captured museum pieces and virtually every 1/35 fine scale armor kit every made (LOL) confirm Hooben's road wheel spacing could have been better executed.

Interestingly, in the last photo, the Holy Grail of 1/16thFerdinand[/i]/Elefant[/i]models seems to have got it wrong too.

John
Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 AM
StumpyBloke

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Rich, Schumo will have it for sure. Don't know about others though in EU. It's a very nice kit. The molds, from those who have hands on with the parts, are VERY good, as are the metal parts. Almost no flash, and usually none at all, and fit seems to be really good. I may have a couple to sell from this shipment, and will reorder probably next week.
Thx again!

Rich
Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: C4ISTAR

Hi Bob,

Looking forward to receiving my prepaid kit soon.

The Hooben Elefant road wheel spacing is a little off and confirmed after looking at all the new OEM build and kit photos recently posted.

Photos clearly show that fact, but that does not diminish the excitement about building and running this kit.

Period photos, the captured museum pieces and virtually every 1/35 fine scale armor kit every made (LOL) confirm Hooben's road wheel spacing could have been better executed.

Interestingly, in the last photo, the Holy Grail of 1/16th Ferdinand[/i]/Elefant[/i] models seems to have got it wrong too.

John

I'm still not entirely convinced that the spacing is wrong on Hooben's kit or the earlier Imai (aka "the Holy Grail of 1/16th").
Based on what I see of the suspension if it's working correctly the spacing will be influenced by the weight carried. Unlike
other German, especially torsion bar - type suspensions where the road wheels all move( deflect ) in the same direction
when weight is added to the vehicle, the Elefant's move in opposite directions affecting the spacing.

When I first ran my Imai Elefant I powered it with a large, very heavy gel cell battery. It fact most of the literature
of the day seemed to point to that was what Imai intended; but this is just my opinion my you. Using contemporary
NiMiH or LiPo batteries weighing far less the suspension won't deflect as much and the spacing will appear to be off.

I'm certain the clever amongst us will figure it out and may modify the suspension accordingly with different springs
and the like.

As I mentioned in an earlier post the dynamics of the suspension seem to support this. But the proof will be in the receiving,
building and running of the model; the proof being in da puddin' as they say.

Jerry
Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM
sevoblast

That's why I'm not too worried about it, Jerry. When I finally get mine, after everyone else gets their kit, I'll measure and compare the kit to the Elefant 'bible' I have...in Russian of course. However, from a very poor and actually negative in the book of an Elefant on it's side, I'd say they are correct. The micrometer will tell the tale.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
karel47

here is the link to axels modelbaushop its very nice priced to : 360€

http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...1_344_596.html

It's out, go and buy him !!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:40 PM
pcomm1

Before going to your micrometer Bob, I highly recommend first a visit to your opthamologist.

Once restored, then check all the recent videos of this model running around, it will become clear as to where the running gear spacing issues are.

And Jerry the proof of the pudding is in the empirical observation and note the tech line art on the packaging.

But no matter, it is a desirable kit and I am happy I prepaid for one at that

John

PS And how do you spell hunting in German? LOL.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:23 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Ok Bob ill stock up on ABS Glue .

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 PM
sevoblast

Good idea, Jimmy. I did here. ABS glue is NOT easy to come by in this neck of the woods.

And gentlemen, at the moment the etoarmour.com sight is running, but orders are not being forwarded to me. Server is working on the problem, but anyone wanting an Elefant please PM me from here or use the email in the 'Contact' section of sight. I will order more kits Monday, and hopefully my kit will come in the next order.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:56 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob all the pictures that have been taken are on an angle this makes things rather difficult to correctly determine only time will tell, Jerry being one of the lucky few that actually owns the Imai Elefant is the only real authority on this tank
Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Tanque

And Jerry the proof of the pudding is in the empirical observation and note the tech line art on the packaging.
I think empirical observation is generous; empirical observations are usually data gathering exercises in
experimental scenarios which the observer is attempting to either prove( or disprove) a hypothesis or gather enough data points
to begin to derive a working theory.

I'm not arguing the observation that the wheels appear to be spaced incorrectly what I'm saying is that the may be a difference
between the spacing appearing incorrect and the bogies actually being spaced incorrectly. This based on the way the suspension
arms work. But you'll understand that more clearly when you build your kit.

Imai's are not completely accurate either, that's a long known fact, no revelation there, and as I said earlier Imai's normally appear even worse until more weight is added to the hull something I don't do.

I have no doubt you'll right the kit's wrongs and regale us with masterful tips in your up coming construction thread.

Jerry
Old 05-21-2011, 11:25 PM
pcomm1

OK and to let you out of the little corner you guys painted yourselves into, I do enjoy Bob's and your completely stubborn positions on just about everything under the sun.

But don't hold your breath waiting for a build thread, something pretty good is already going on over on rc groups tanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Tanque

OK and to let you out of the little corner you guys painted yourselves into, I do enjoy Bob's and your completely stubborn positions on just about everything under the sun.

But don't hold your breath waiting for a build thread, something pretty good is already going on over on rc groups tanks.

I don't think anyone really disagreed with your original statement that the wheel spacing is a little off. That Bob wanted to measure and I suggested
other reasons for the appearance isn't stubborn it is just wanting to see the thing firsthand. If it proves out to be off then there it is.

If it is ultimately proven to be just flat out wrong then I am in error and I have no problem admitting I was wrong. Won't be the first time and doubt
it will be that last.

Comparing the Hooben as we've seen it so far to the side shots of the Aberdeen Elefant one would be silly to deny what the casual observation clearly
shows. Yet when I look at the photos of Elefants in my books, Spielberg's and others it isn't always so clear how far the Hooben's spacing is off. I still believe
the spacing has something to do with the hull loading and the dynamics of the suspension.

I often elicit fiery or acerbic responses the way I write so I'm conditioned to it; but suggesting Bob visit his ophthalmologist even in jest after he proposed a reasonable suggestion just didn't sound well as a response. Perhaps you and he go way back but I don't know that. There are better ways to disagree with someone. Just state your position and let the demonstrable facts prove or disprove it. One can choose to or not to remind people later!

I'm sure we'll all enjoy the model, it will satisfy many modelers who have sought a 1/16 Elefant for years. On all accounts it looks like a great addition
to the hobby. You may not post a build thread C4ISTAR but I'm sure you will build yours before I do and the more insights into the strengths and weaknesses of the kit would be appreciated by all.

Jerry
Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Viper54
My Feedback: (1)

Can't wait for mine to arrive,I will be building a 44 Poland version
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96529.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1612847  
Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM
sevoblast

Jerry, always the gentleman. My hat's off to you, you have far more patience and are way more erudite than I will ever be. As for the wheel spacing, if it's off a few microns, I could care less. Show me another Elefant of this quality at this price. I'll be building another rompin' stompin' fighter for sure.

I'm sure you can take my JT, my best effort ever, and measure him against the prototype and find the odd difference here and there, not the least of which is the side to side movement of the road wheels, which in prototype was 2 mm, and in scale is also about 2 mm, but scaled up it's 32 mm. So be it. I'd rather keep the tracks on than have the scale side to side movement.

Anyhow, with a week or so we'll all know. Shipment of kits is in transit, and should be in Joey's hot little hands in another week or so. He'll check them all out, record the serial numbers on them, and then start shipping out to the reservations.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM
StumpyBloke

Bob, is this [link=http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/de/116-Militaer/Kettenfahrzeuge-und-Zubehoer/Panzerjaeger-Elefant:::1_344_596.html]axels[/link] the one you are selling? I mean, is this you? Sorry, I'm confused.

PS what is going on with this site these days, its slow at best and non-existant at worst!!

Rich
Old 05-22-2011, 12:49 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

No Rich that's not Bob Hes ETO Armor . Here is the link to his site on ETO for the Hooben Elephant

http://etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=51

He is having some problems with his server on placing orders at this time you can send him a PM from here .

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 05-22-2011, 01:35 PM
StumpyBloke

ORIGINAL: bowlman

No Rich that's not Bob Hes ETO Armor . Here is the link to his site on ETO for the Hooben Elephant

http://etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=51

He is having some problems with his server on placing orders at this time you can send him a PM from here .

Thanks
Jimmy
OIC, thanks Jimmy!

Rich
Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 PM
arkmodels

Pls get the message that I send to you.
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Devildog0341Va

When you all say ABS glue what kind or brands are you refering to?

The only plastic glues I deal with is for schedule 40 to 80 pvc
Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM
sevoblast

Any hobby shop that carries 'Plastruct' structural items will have their glue. Their plastic is ABS, ergo their glue works well with the Hooben models.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Devildog0341Va, check into Hobby Lobby or Michaels as well as any Hobby Store for the Plastruct Plastic Weld. Even Ambroid Pro Weld will work with Styrene, Butyrate, as well as Acrylic Plexiglass.

I must have 5 different glues and they all work (if specified) about the same. These are liquid cements with the applicator in the lid. Some of these are pretty nasty, so make sure you use with proper ventilation.

- Jeff
Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Devildog0341Va

I have a hobby town near by, i will check with them.

Thanks Guys

On Edit: I just checked there website and they have something called ambroid proweld plastic weld. Im thinking this would be fine>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.