Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

June 2011 AMA's Model Aviation

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

June 2011 AMA's Model Aviation

Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: June 2011 AMA's Model Aviation

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Nothing to do with the AMA Bi-Laws and everything to do with certain IRS reporting requirements for a non-profit.

IIRC the "reporting requirement" you speak of is not applicable in this instance.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM
KidEpoxy

BP
Nothing to do with the AMA Bi-Laws and everything to do with certain IRS reporting requirements for a non-profit.

As for electronic............. by regulation you can ask the membership to "opt in" to receive electronic communication but YOU CANNOT REQUIRE IT.

Strange.............. when the AMA gets blamed for following government regulations.
following a government regulation... IRS reporting requirements?
Explain how AMA is following that IRS law
for the folks that opt to have their magazine mailed to school
and I would LOVE to hear how they are following that regulation for Stickbuilder who asked it be mailed NOWHERE.

If you are right, that there is some IRS law you mention that the members have to be mailed that info,
then ama is clearly and openly violating that mandated by law mailings for them.

However, if AMA is not violating that law you mention for the folks that DONT GET MA NOW,
then AMA clearly wouldnt be violating that supposed law for ALL the folks that dont get MA
(the ones billed $18 to not get it along with the ones billed $0 to not get it)

Folks are ALREADY OPTING OUT and not getting MA,
they just are still being billed for the magazines sent elsewhere or not sent at all (ala Stickbuilder)

Bradpaul, explain the IRS mandate that you claim exists,
that members must be billed regardless of actually getting the info mailed to them

The Requirement Myth is a favorite of the no-option crowd
... well, they actually dont mind the option, they seem to support opting to not get the mag,
they are more a Mandatory$18 crowd than a No-Option crowd... pay $18 regardless of opting to not get the mag
Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 AM
bradpaul

There is no violation as the AMA sends the magazine to the designated address as determined by the member. If that address is invalid so be it, as there is no requirement to determine the validity of the address.

Brad
Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok gentlemen. This discussion is getting WAY off topic here. The thread is about this month's issue of Model Aviation. If you wish to continue the side discussion that has developed then that needs to be taken out to a new thread.

Thanks

Ken
Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 AM
KidEpoxy

oops, writ while RCKen posted that... Nevermind this deleted post

seems like post18 changed the line of discussion,
maybe post18 and everything south of it should just be moved to his own new thread
as to not derail this thread
Old 05-22-2011, 08:36 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AERORICH73

My issue has not arrived yet, but in reviewing my 90's RCM magazines I have no positive thoughts about the coming June issue of MA. I understand the change in mind set of the new decades of people, but would really enjoy some back to basic education in craftsmanship to building models in past years. It seems to be now only a marketing system to buy, crash, and buy. Rememberiing my time as a youth when fishing for trout, I did not hesitate to get fish goo on my hands when cleaning the fish. How come there seems to be such a problem in cleaning castor oil off of a model, and having your hands smell just great. If you want to play with electric trains, just go ahead, and leave us castor oil guys play in the oil without messing around putting train motors in our hobby models. Stop advertising electic train stuff in an aircraft magazine.

aerorich73
Sorry buddy. with all respect, the magazine belongs much more to us gas power plant users, and electric power users than to slimy power plant users such as yourself. Do not like it? go back to fishing.

I do not like.. Well, not true, I do not care about u-control or FF. I have no problem on it being in my magazine. Why? Because they are a small segment of our hobby and as such, part of the hobby. Same as you slimy people. You have a right to get coverage because, you are part of the hobby (small, and shrinking, but part of the hobby).

Perhaps you should read a bit the magazine, and avoid a blatant show of ignorance comparing a model train motor to what we use. Well, maybe you are talking about really BIG train models, who knows.

I think the AMA hast to cover ALL segments of our hobby. Nothing wrong with living in the past, at least, you have no surprises:-) But, most of us, live in 2011...

Gerry
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 AM
madmaxx11
My Feedback: (51)

Anybody got a June issue they want to sell. The discussion has got my attention.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 AM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: madmaxx11

Anybody got a June issue they want to sell. The discussion has got my attention.

I can get you 12 consecutive issues for $58 if ya want.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: madmaxx11

I can get you 12 consecutive issues for $58 if ya want.
I'll let you have mine for only $50...Sorry, FILE IFR...LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

That may or may not be true history, Seam to me if that was the case the By-laws could have been changed,,
Now, with new media it wouldn't cost them jack to email or just post the newsletter online if a member chose that over the rag..

As for electronic............. by regulation you can ask the membership to ''opt in'' to receive electronic communication but YOU CANNOT REQUIRE IT.

Strange.............. when the AMA gets blamed for following government regulations.

Brad
Please show me the IRS regulation that require I get a monthly anything and I'll gladly accept that it's a necessary evil

Old 05-22-2011, 09:45 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok gentlemen. This discussion is getting WAY off topic here. The thread is about this month's issue of Model Aviation. If you wish to continue the side discussion that has developed then that needs to be taken out to a new thread.

Thanks

Ken
Ken,
This is the topic of the OP,, the mag being Subsidized it the issue,, not the content.. it's reiterated in post 4

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

May I suggest that no one overlooks my little comment in the OP?

''It's great as a subsidized magazine should be.''
Old 05-22-2011, 10:27 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Ken,
This is the topic of the OP,, the mag being Subsidized it the issue,, not the content.. it's reiterated in post 4

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

I'm not above saying that Imake mistakes.You are absolutely correct. Imissed that point. Istand corrected. Since it was part of the OP's statement then the discussion may continue. Sorry about that. Carry on guys.

Ken
Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 AM
KidEpoxy

ORIGINAL: OP- Hossfly

to be honest,
the June MA was far better than what one could put forth as a subsidized magazine:
At least the creaters of the June MA didnt stoop
to loading up with features on their own kids
Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM
AircamperAce
My Feedback: (11)

Can someone explain the Futaba ad on the last page to me? Its says the 8fg got a standing "0" for its great FSSS and features. Is this a typo or did it go over my head?

Spectrum flier,

Aircamperace
Old 05-22-2011, 03:04 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

Sorry, but you're not being ''forced'' into anything. Your CHOICE is to be an AMA member or not. MA comes with the membership. Easy enough.

Guess I must be one of the oddballs, because I happen to thoroughly enjoy reading MA and look forward to it every month.

Do not worry Tarasdad, it always the same cast of characters. It is always the same position: I want to be a member, but I do not want the magazine, and I want to pay less because I do not want it.

OK, AOPA, IMMA, EAA, nor any of the other organizations I belong to do this either. You are a member, you are entitled to a mag. Do not like it? We do not mail you a copy. Want money back? What? You smoke your tea? You are supposed to sip it!

The funny thing is that some of the people that have a problem are not AMA members anyway...

Again, always the same handful of characters...

Want some cheese with that whine...?

Gerry
Old 05-22-2011, 03:22 PM
scale only 4 me

I never asked to pay less,
I just don't like subsidizing what in my mind is a crappy publication weather it be through my $58 per year and/or by being a captive subscriber.

It's the principle not the dollars
Old 05-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: AircamperAce

Can someone explain the Futaba ad on the last page to me? Its says the 8fg got a standing ''0'' for its great FSSS and features. Is this a typo or did it go over my head?

Spectrum flier,

Aircamperace
"O" for standing ovation. It's a marketing thing. :-)
Old 05-22-2011, 04:11 PM
AircamperAce
My Feedback: (11)

Makes sense. it's an O not a 0.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I love getting MA....it's a great disposable place to mix epoxy.....Just tear off the used page and you have your next mixing surface.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

I love getting MA....it's a great disposable place to mix epoxy.....Just tear off the used page and you have your next mixing surface.
Fast forward go to minute 1:00

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loyjm4SOa0[/youtube]
Old 05-22-2011, 06:01 PM
oskartek

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

It took the place of my Sears catalog.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:45 PM
prebres
My Feedback: (7)

Wow, what a bunch of babies. Don't like it? Throw it out. Don't like AMA? Don't renew. No one has a gun to your head. But then you can't fly at an AMA site? ahhh, well, you can't have it both ways. I support AMA and enjoy the magazine.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: prebres

Wow, what a bunch of babies. Don't like it? Throw it out. Don't like AMA? Don't renew. No one has a gun to your head. But then you can't fly at an AMA site? ahhh, well, you can't have it both ways. I support AMA and enjoy the magazine.
I thought there was only one (1) AMA site... at least that is what many AMAers have made a point about many times... I guess the exclusiveness of AMA fields from other modelers is a popular strategy used to promote model aviation???... wait, that sounded like a conundrum of sorts. I'll have to give that more thought.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

the life of brian, now that was a good funny movie.
they need to make more like that. and spaceballs, of course.

i gotta learn to spell, or proofread one of these days
Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM
AERORICH73

Thanks a bunch Michael for your input on this topic. Believe the time has come for the MA issue to go paperless for those who chose this form of receiving the monthly magazine. It surely would reduce the publication costs while letting each member only download the articles of interest which would surely allow me to pass through the advertising. I personally have never questioned the integrity of the article authors. Any chance to change my issue of MA to an e-mail download?

Richard Scherer
AMA410664

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.