Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Dynamite Big Red Monster .28 on my Savage XL 5.9

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Dynamite Big Red Monster .28 on my Savage XL 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM
ncostes
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamite Big Red Monster .28 on my Savage XL 5.9

Bought a used Savage 5.9 XL, engine was blown, would have needed a new piston, sleeve, wrist pin, con rod and OWB, over $100 of stuff. LHS guys sold me a Dynamite .28 Big Red for $139.

I still have the original pipe and header. Broke the engine in today in the truck.

It had nice power, but two things I noticed, and I'm wondering if anyone else is running this engine in their XL can help me out

1. It's loud. Very loud.

2. There is fuel leaking between the engine exhaust port and the header. It really seems like it needs a shorter muffler or something. When the muffler is on the spring, it pushes back some and since only a spring is retaining the header to the engine, it seems to be a poor seal.

For anyone using this engine or something similar what have you done? Do you use another pipe or header? Do you cut the spring and bend it up or make your own?

Someone here recommended a Dynamite or Ofna 086 pipe - I'd definitley like to have this be more quiet, it makes my revo sound like an electric...

Edit: Also - did anyone else using this engine have to file down the bottom right bulge of the backplate to get a good gear mesh? Without filing that plastic down (the thing that bulges around the screw), I couldn't get a decent gear mesh, it was wayyy to tight (couldn't push the engine far enough right).

Thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 05:38 PM
SavagedXXL

Default RE: Dynamite Big Red Monster .28 on my Savage XL 5.9

ORIGINAL: ncostes

Bought a used Savage 5.9 XL, engine was blown, would have needed a new piston, sleeve, wrist pin, con rod and OWB, over $100 of stuff. LHS guys sold me a Dynamite .28 Big Red for $139.

I still have the original pipe and header. Broke the engine in today in the truck.

It had nice power, but two things I noticed, and I'm wondering if anyone else is running this engine in their XL can help me out

1. It's loud. Very loud.

2. There is fuel leaking between the engine exhaust port and the header. It really seems like it needs a shorter muffler or something. When the muffler is on the spring, it pushes back some and since only a spring is retaining the header to the engine, it seems to be a poor seal.

For anyone using this engine or something similar what have you done? Do you use another pipe or header? Do you cut the spring and bend it up or make your own?

Someone here recommended a Dynamite or Ofna 086 pipe - I'd definitley like to have this be more quiet, it makes my revo sound like an electric...

Edit: Also - did anyone else using this engine have to file down the bottom right bulge of the backplate to get a good gear mesh? Without filing that plastic down (the thing that bulges around the screw), I couldn't get a decent gear mesh, it was wayyy to tight (couldn't push the engine far enough right).

Thanks

It sounds like you could use a header seal and spring. The spring is probably stretched because the 5.9 case is bigger than the .28. The Dynamite 086 is a significantly quieter than the polished HPI XL pipe, and performs better. It comes with a different header as well, and better on topend than the XL pipe.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 PM
ncostes

Sounds like a deal on the Dynamite 086 pipe. Maybe its header will work out such that the muffler can seat on the fat steel spring in the front of the chassis without pushing back?

See picture for what I think is the problem now.

Re: header seal - what is that, is that the gasket that came w/the engine that goes between the header and the engine?

A shorter spring (the one that goes around the crankcase) makes sense as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28143.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1613142  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM
woodwore69

I put 2 springs on my headers and if stock holder doesn't work I make a new one out of coat hangers.As far as filing I think you mean the bottom of the roto start yes I have had to file there and the tvps hit the motor mount screws sometimes just file the tvp a little to let them slide by
Old 05-23-2011, 04:45 PM
ncostes

Figured out my problem was mainly the gasket that comes w/the .28 Dynamite Mach 454 is too small for the stock header. Using the one that came w/the stock engine did the trick.

The gear mesh - was way too tight, the LHS guys sold me a 14T clutch bell which allowed me to set the gear mesh properly. But now I'm not getting into 2nd gear.

What pinion/spur combo are you guys using if you're using a .28 with an XL?

Thanks

ORIGINAL: woodwore69

I put 2 springs on my headers and if stock holder doesn't work I make a new one out of coat hangers.As far as filing I think you mean the bottom of the roto start yes I have had to file there and the tvps hit the motor mount screws sometimes just file the tvp a little to let them slide by
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Try the stock 16/52 and then see what you like with the 49, 48, 47 spurs. The lower the spur tooth count, the better the top end and the higher the spur tooth count, the better the low end. Opposite for the clutch bell.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM
dragonbat13

I used the coat hanger trick on my 5.9 with my ofna 086. Will probably try two springs also.

Let us know how the engine works out.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM
ncostes

So far so good, I should have gotten the 15T clutch bell instead of the 14T as that would have been small enough. I looked at getting the 47T spur to get closer to the original gear ration but it's $33!

I think I'm good w/the gearing as it is now, the truck is fast.

LHS ordered a Dynamite 086 pipe + header for me, I'll post if it is quieter than the stock pipe.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Stick with PLASTIC spur gears. They are cheap and very durable, just set the gear mesh properly and they will last a REALLY long time. If you get a steel spur gear, then you are wasting money, adding rotating mass, and if something fails, it will be a combination of the expensive spur gear AND the clutch bell.