Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Sebart Wind S Pro

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:52 PM
bedowinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sebart Wind S Pro

ORIGINAL: hezik

I spent some time trimming mine, and what I noticed, is that the factory-setting for the wing doesn't seem to be 0. I started out the way most people describe in this topic, fixating the plane in such a way that the wing had a .5 incidence, and then setting the stab to 0. That resulted in a plane that would slightly climb out of a vertical downline (pull to canopy). After experimenting with thrustline and CG, all that was left to try, was to change the incidence. First I set the stab to 0. This fixed the clibming out issue, but it flew 'horribly', didn't feel right.

So I set the stab back so that if the wing reads .5, the stab reads .0. After that I lowered the incidence in the wing to about 0.25.

That's a whole difference.. the plane feels a lot more 'locked in' and just flies a lot better.. I was surprised that such a small change, had such an influence.

Am I the only one who came to the conclusion that the incidence on the wing should be lowered?
Hezik,
Did that change your Knife edge mix? And if so, what is it now?
Thank you

Mike
Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 PM
anders12

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Hezik!

Now your flying with the same setting I have. I hope you will understand my positive comments on this plane. Good luck with your competitions.

Regards Anders Johansson
Sweden
Old 05-13-2011, 03:51 AM
hezik

ORIGINAL: bedowinn
Hezik,
Did that change your Knife edge mix? And if so, what is it now?
Thank you
Only mix I have on it, is a 1% rudder/roll mix, for it wants to roll out of a knife edge very slightly (say if you fly 200 meter knife edge, it has rolled 2 degrees). Other than that, no mixers are/were needed. It tracks straight in both directions, without pulling to canopy or belly.

@Anders Johanssen: I already understood your positive comments, she flies good.. it's more the looks/quality that I was commenting on, in respect to the pricetag
Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 AM
matt13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just held a local Pattern competition in Adelaide at Skyhawks Aeromodellers club, it was a small turnout with 11 pilots competing, cold, but no wind for a change and as it turned out only one glow motor. Had a great day pattern flying:-)

From the photo, see if you can guess what our Pattern model of choice is in Adelaide?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33304.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1609580  
Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 AM
matt13

Having a lot of fun flying the Wind S, still needs just a little more trimming, but managed a promo point in Expert with it[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54198.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1609581  
Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 AM
wagen017

ORIGINAL: matt13

We just held a local Pattern competition in Adelaide at Skyhawks Aeromodellers club, it was a small turnout with 11 pilots competing, cold, but no wind for a change and as it turned out only one glow motor. Had a great day pattern flying:-)

From the photo, see if you can guess what our Pattern model of choice is in Adelaide?
wauw, 8 out of 11! Amazing!

Lot's of variation on equipments, or pretty much the same there as well?

Volkert
Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 AM
matt13

They are not all Wind S Pro's, but close, there were 5 Pro's, two Wind110's and one Wind50.

Three of the Wind S Pro's have Plettenberg's, one has a Hacker inrunner, and an AXI5330 in mine.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 AM
hezik

ORIGINAL: matt13

They are not all Wind S Pro's, but close, there were 5 Pro's, two Wind110's and one Wind50.

Three of the Wind S Pro's have Plettenberg's, one has a Hacker inrunner, and an AXI5330 in mine.
Then yours just 'keeps on trucking'.. I have the AXI 5325 in mine, and that already has enough power. The 5330 has even more power.. you watched 'tool time' a lot? We need more power!!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 AM
gmr1948

Does anyone know of a good technique to determine location of exit holes for rudder cables?

thanks,
gary
Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 AM
talk the torque

ORIGINAL: anders12

Nice Hezik!

Now your flying with the same setting I have. I hope you will understand my positive comments on this plane. Good luck with your competitions.

Regards Anders Johansson
Sweden
Hi Anders

I have been reading your previous posts and have to agree with you about the mid wing design. I have always enjoyed the mid wing LSA models like the Extra 260, Katana, Edge etc... but have been wondering why pattern designs always have lowered wings. I have heard the stories about wing turbulence on the stab etc but have never had such issues with my larger models. I prefer to start with all incidences set to 0; 0; 0 and work from there. Normally about 2 - 3 degrees right thrust depending how tall the rudder is. I think this setup works for me as I trim my models that when I release my sticks my model produces no lift versus guys trimming hands off and the plane flies level. I think most guys trim hands off for level flight and maybe thats why designs have evolved to slightly more lower wings to compensate for this lift being produced in KE flight. Just for interest sakes, how do you trim your planes?

Since I saw this plane I liked it because of the midwing but was worried about KE capabilities and integrated rolls in the P & F. I have been looking at the P13 and F13 and it is also very demanding with those maneuvers. We have just had our nationals here and Wolfgang Matt was a guest and did some training with our selected team. His new plane the Peridot's fuze is so deep, do you think the Wind S Pro will compete against these newer generation very high/deep body planes?

TtT
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 AM
matt13

To locate the rudder cable holes, I have always made a full scale drawing on my bench of the fueslarge.
Carefully measure the details of the servo location, out put arm, and the rudder horn, I then apply masking tape to the fueslarge and transfer the measurements before cutting. It is easy to get this wrong, so remember, measure twice to cut once!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 AM
hezik

I have no comparison to give a good answer; before this I flew the WindS 110 and before that an obsolete old school pattern design (try flying integrated stuff with that!), however, I don't think the WindS 2m has problems flying integrated stuff, possibly newer designs do it more easily or need less rudder input, but the WindS will do it all if you ask it to.

You could improve this, by mounting a t-canalizer on it's back.

Ultimately, if you want to fly sequences which involve lots of integrated stuff and little long straight lines, a biplane would probably be the best choice.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:56 AM
gmr1948

Thanks Matt. Do you make side and top view drawings? My real problem is how far back to locate the hole.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

My cables on both of mine came out almost directly below the bar at the front of the stab for the adjusters.

Arch
Old 05-23-2011, 07:56 AM
anders12

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I trim my aircraft to fly hands off in upright flying. This means I have to push some down elevator when inverted. With this setup there is no mix needed for knifeedge.

The Wind S Pro handles integrated rolls very well. The narrow fuselage and its crossection helps create knifedgelift. The most important feature is the landinggearfairings that adds sidearea and helps straighten airflow. Putting a T-canalizer on this model is not needed. I fly both P11 and F!! and is perfectly happy with integrated rolls.

Regards Anders J
Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 AM
gmr1948

Do your cables remain on same side or are they crossed to opposite side?

Gary

Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
rcpattern

Gary,

I cross my cables. It's the easiest way to keep the geometry.

I agree with Anders. My CG is forward of Seba's and I have to push some inverted, but the plane is very true with no mix in knife edge, although I do have slight opposite aileron, as it does tend to want to roll out ever so slightly both directions,

Arch
Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 AM
talk the torque

Thanks guys for your help.

I am busy looking for a dealer who has one here

Regards
TtT
Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

I was at a contest this weekend where 2 Wind Pro 2M's flew. I continue to be impressed with the planes look and capablilites. I think I want one!!! Mike
Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM
rcpattern

I love both of mine. Dave Lockhart flew mine through the F sequence yesterday and was very happy with the capabilities of the plane. Said it flew very similar to his Bravo's, which I was able to fly, and agree with him 100%. I actually flew his Bravo in the last round of Masters, just to get a flight on it. Having never flown the plane and a slightly softer setup (which I'm going to work on toning my down to), it didn't take long to adjust to.

Arch
Old 05-23-2011, 12:04 PM
gmr1948

Thanks for the assistance. Gary
Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 PM
hezik

At the Sivry Worldcup contest in Sivry belgium this weekend, there were several Wind-sses.

Now which plane would you select off this picture?

Wrong! there are two Axiome's in there, perfect finish and they fly amazing. But the WindS scheme is still the most beautifull if you ask me.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 AM
nofuss

Hi matt13,

Please could you indicate any further findings with regards to the winglets (wingtip modification)?

I am in the process of wanting to have similar ones laser cut for my Wind S Pro.

Also, what did you find as the easiest measurement approach to have these completely parallel with the fuselage centre / join line?

Regards
Danie
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
nmartin

Hi Danie,

I’m not Matt , but the pic of the Wind S Pro with winglets back in post #289 on page 12 of this thread is mine.

To begin, my usual disclaimer for all thingymagigs goes something like:- nothing beats a well trimmed airplane - too that end thingymagigs, wihirlymagigs, etc. may or may not help achieve that goal.[]

Having said that I do think winglets have merit - certainly in rolling manoeuvres. It is still possible to do poor rolls even with the winglets, but I do think the winglets make the rolls easier even if it’s to the point of just boosting one’s confidence when executing a roll - especially if ever one might admit to not being the best roller ever [X(]
Perhaps the most descriptive (but unscientific) explanation I can convey is that without any winglets then in rolling manoeuvres and in that 1st quarter roll to knife edge the nose (of some planes) doesn’t really lock onto the “imaginary” straight line we’re meant to be rolling around. However with the winglets and for the same part of a roll, the _whole_ plane really locks onto that same imaginary straight line and stays there. Of course even with the winglets the coordination (thru the sticks) of rudder and elevator is still needed for a full roll, but perhaps the managing/synchronization of each, and both, is easier or more ‘forgiving.
Negatives? I think spins are an interesting one. That is to say the entry into a spin seems more locked on - some planes I’ve found tend to wander off if no rudder correction is given (just before the spin). But in the spin itself, I’m not sure if spins perform/present as well with the winglets compared to without.
An additional observation, I think the winglets give a visualisation aid when doing point rolls; that is without the winglets sometimes point rolls can appear to be soft in the points. With the winglets, they really stand out in the air and really define each and every point (and brief hesitation).

> parallel with the fuselage centre / join line?
Mine are not actually lined up with the fuselage c/l, but instead are in line with the aileron outer edge / tip inner edge line. That makes them point inwards towards to nose of the aircraft. The position was chosen out of convenience rather than anything else - nonetheless the winglets still aid in the air. It would be a good experiment to ‘straight-en’ the winglets to the fuselage c/l and see if there is any dramatic difference (time, time, time!!!). Another option is as per some of Seba’s pics for the Wind S Pro that show one (or 2) wing-fences at about mid-way along the span of the wing

Cheers,
Neil M.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 PM
nofuss

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

I'm set on adding these thingymagics and would like to just ask another quick question around the "best" shape / profile for these...

Currently I've drawn two flavours in Coreldraw, one starting around the same place as yours from the leading edge, and one shorter version starting just befor the highest point on the profile / airfoil of the wing tip.

Which one should be the "wise" option to go with, and / or is it purely a matter of esthetics? Also would it matter if I've got a rounded shape for the top edge of the winglet?

Regards
Danie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.