Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas and HPI

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 PM
dbigfoot111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas and HPI

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderPower 65C 5300s and Hyperion Eos0606i.
that is way too much for my budget, I'm planning to get 2s how do i know what type of charger to pick out?

Is there something that is under $80 with charger and battery? i was thinking somethign like this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8357 but how do i know what size the is the Firestorm battery in order to know if whis would fit, is there a way i can find that out?
What type of charger would i need for that type of battery? can someone teach me how to pick out the charger with balancer.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

Turnigys are nice, but don't last many cycles.
Based upon what? Actual experience or just random, unproven internet rumors? My turnigys from last year that have been through hot, cold, snow, wet and overdischarged are still going strong. My SMC's didn't last through half that.
Freezetron is now aware that ThunderbirdJunkie currently owns eight Turnigy lithium polymer batteries and has decided to retire them after less than 200 cycles on the most oft-used ones because they're getting soft (both punch and capacity wise) in their not-that-old age.

Meh, if I get 100-200 cycles outa my $20 lipos, I'm happy. I don't run my trucks that often
Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Just because you're happy with substandard hardware, don't blast other people for NOT being OK with using substandard hardware.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
dbigfoot111

Thungerbird and Freeze both of you guys gave me very useful information, I REALLY appriciated the opinions on both sides,it help me narrow down the type of battery. But with the situation I'am in right now i think i will get Turnigy or Zippy as for now.

With the battery below what type of charger with balancer would i need? and how do i know that battery will fit? is there a battery size on the Firestrom Flux, that will help me narrow down the size. As for the charger how do i nkow which charger is compatible with that battery? I'm looking for something simple because i will only have one lipo to be charge on.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8357
Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The Turnigy batteries are often made with higher quality cells than the Zippys, in ThunderbirdJunkie's experience, and last longer and have less internal resistance (more "punch").

Specifically that zippy 4000 you linked to...ThunderbirdJunkie has murdered 4 of those with power systems that draw less current than what's in the Firestorm Flux.

If you're getting HK batteries, ITBJHO this is the best bang for the buck.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10098

The charger you'll want will be AC/DC, or a DC with a power supply. Haven't looked at what HK has for chargers lately, but you WILL want to get a higher end charger sooner rather than later. The $109.99 that the Hyperion 0606i goes for is really an absolute bargain when you consider all the snazzy features it's got.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Freezetron

Just because you're happy with substandard hardware, don't blast other people for NOT being OK with using substandard hardware.

I run these packs, work well, plenty of power for Firestorm as they move my Flux and slash 4x4 with no issues

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14991

This would be a good starter charger that won't break the bank and the turnigy balance leads will fit right in

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-w-LCD-4S-8A

This is also a nice one for a bit more
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ger-w-Balancer
Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

http://www.chaosagent.info/wp-conten...throughyou.jpg
It's so awesome that you think posting pictures with words superimposed on them is still as hip now as it was in 2006. This isn't one of your stupid gaming forums.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Freezetron

It's so awesome that you think posting pictures with words superimposed on them is still as hip now as it was in 2006. This isn't one of your stupid gaming forums.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Freezetron

Old 05-24-2011, 05:36 AM
dbigfoot111

I run these packs, work well, plenty of power for Firestorm as they move my Flux and slash 4x4 with no issues

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14991

This would be a good starter charger that won't break the bank and the turnigy balance leads will fit right in

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-w-LCD-4S-8A

This is also a nice one for a bit more
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ger-w-Balancer
Battery are not so pricey, but the charger (( ahhahaha
I think i will just get the RTR with NIMH battery for now, and maybe later on upgrade it down the road. Being on a student budget and with no job is hard getting what i want lol. but thank you very much for the feeds. Are the cords included?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 AM
dbigfoot111

The Turnigy batteries are often made with higher quality cells than the Zippys, in ThunderbirdJunkie's experience, and last longer and have less internal resistance (more ''punch'').

Specifically that zippy 4000 you linked to...ThunderbirdJunkie has murdered 4 of those with power systems that draw less current than what's in the Firestorm Flux.

If you're getting HK batteries, ITBJHO this is the best bang for the buck.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10098

The charger you'll want will be AC/DC, or a DC with a power supply. Haven't looked at what HK has for chargers lately, but you WILL want to get a higher end charger sooner rather than later. The $109.99 that the Hyperion 0606i goes for is really an absolute bargain when you consider all the snazzy features it's got.
Why is it that i would need to get a higher end charger? what make it better? I'm very new to this Hobby sorry.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Freeze TBJ actually has a couple thousand in 1st person if you look at the way older ones

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028
and make http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554 for it http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...nkw=321632-001 See a couple for $12(+$10 shipping) right now
cheaper than most NiMh only chargers, and later you can hook up other 12v dc chargers. Only thing is the Turnigy charger can't charge past 6 Amps (which is perfectly fine for charging at 1C, which most batteries should be)

The RTR charger you get with it is a Piece of crap (like most included chargers), and can damage the battery
Either way you look at it you are going to need a charger
Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 AM
sloppyG

you must sweat somebody pretty hard to make a picture about them

now do one for me!

or I'll tell your dad and he'll cut your sponsorship budget!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM
redbaron9898
My Feedback: (2)

If you compare the quality between the rustler and the flux you will see the flux has much more engineering built into it. its a newer platform and it will drive much nicer. I had a rustler over 5 years ago and not much has changed. All Traxxas did was strap a VXL in it, change the paint scheme and body, and upgraded the plastic a little bit. If you cant get the savage... go with the firestorm
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: redbaron9898

If you compare the quality between the rustler and the flux you will see the flux has much more engineering built into it. its a newer platform and it will drive much nicer. I had a rustler over 5 years ago and not much has changed. All Traxxas did was strap a VXL in it, change the paint scheme and body, and upgraded the plastic a little bit. If you cant get the savage... go with the firestorm
in all honesty I don't think they really upgrade the plastic. Just changed the color of the chassis
I've bought new VXL chassis's for pedes, and bought a black chassis pede to me they seem equal in plastic quality, and strength.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: redbaron9898

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

in all honesty I don't think they really upgrade the plastic. Just changed the color of the chassis
I've bought new VXL chassis's for pedes, and bought a black chassis pede to me they seem equal in plastic quality, and strength.

True, Traxxas does tend to recycle designs but apparently with them, if it aint broke, don't fix it. If they are selling them like crazy and are the most popular, there is usually a good reason why, so Traxxas is doing something right, wether you agree with their chassis designs or not. I would have gotten a Blitz but I got a Slash 4x4 mostly because the aftermarket supports it much better then the Blitz, plus no 4x4 yet from HPI either.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 AM
sloppyG

the slash 4x4 is a new platform freeze, it's not what people are complaining about as being "old"
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

the slash 4x4 is a new platform freeze, it's not what people are complaining about as being ''old''
I'm speaking in regards to the 2WD Slash, Rustler and stampede platforms that everyone keep poo pooing
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 AM
sloppyG

so do you have any experience with how bad they are?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Freezetron

so do you have any experience with how bad they are?
My friend has a 2WD Stampede. Yeah, it has some rough spots but nothing a few upgrades wouldn't fix and i've taken it completely apart for a rebuild, hardly what I consider "difficult"
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 AM
sloppyG

try taking out the diff or anything that would require getting into the trans on the 2wd traxxas, that's the worst part

it takes more than double the time than getting into the trans of an AE vehicle does
Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Freezetron

try taking out the diff or anything that would require getting into the trans on the 2wd traxxas, that's the worst part

it takes more than double the time than getting into the trans of an AE vehicle does
Want a complex, hard to get to tranny? Work on a nitro Revo, thats a PITA. No experience with AE so no comment
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Some sillly picture
you must sweat somebody pretty hard to make a picture about them

now do one for me!

or I'll tell your dad and he'll cut your sponsorship budget!
sloppy, the funny thing is, last night, THAT IS NOT WHAT THE POST SAID.

This is like when George Costanza came up with "The jerk store called, and they're running out of YOU".
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 AM
sloppyG

good stuff.. I guess his sponsor must have told him to change it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.