Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 8e Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
bahrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 8e Steering problem

Hi

Brand new to RC cars and this forum!

I recently bought a Earthquake 8e from a US ebay dealer and had the car shipped to Bahrain where I live.

I've only used the car for about 15 minutes (still on my 1st charge) without any major crashes.
Unfortunately, the steering seems to have stopped working. The servo is working, the wheel steer to the right but not to the left. Having checked the car and reading the online
forums, I can see the part BS803-010 (Servo Saver) maybe broken.

Any suggestions what I should do to confirm if the servo saver is broken or suggestions to get the steering working?

Thanks
Al.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Earthquake 8e Steering problem

Did you play with the trim knobs on your radio at all? The one on the far right sets the travel, far left centers. Start with that. Then double check the batteries in the receiver. If that's not the problem, get your tools out and start taking it apart. There are 2 screws on the top of the servo saver that can bind the steering up if they're overtightened. Back those out first.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the servo saver may be broken.
but it could also the the top part of the servo saver having come loose(backed off) and its not putting enough tension on the spring.

also wanna check the drag link to see if it broke. there is an alloy upgrade if it did break.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22305.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1614092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36670.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1614093  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM
bahrain

Thanks guys especially for the diagram. I'll get the screwdriver out and have a go!

Al.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM
edgeverse

I had a similiar problem not too long ago with my EQ8E.

I adjusted the trim on the radio and fixed it. I also improved steering perfomance by swapping out the stock servo and replacing it with a Futaba servo.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: edgeverse

I had a similiar problem not too long ago with my EQ8E.

I adjusted the trim on the radio and fixed it. I also improved steering perfomance by swapping out the stock servo and replacing it with a Futaba servo.
same here, only i used a high torque metal geared servo from hobbypartz.com. it was only $15 but has more grunt than the stock servo!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
edgeverse

I saw a difference with the Futaba servo, but next thing I know, my wife bought me this.

60G EXI Digital Coreless Servo D227F Metal Gear
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60gexidised2.html

It may be the one mentioned.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 PM
stevenwilliams

While you are stripping and fixing the steering you may as well replace the brass bushes with bearings. it removed a lot of the steering slop and is always good practice.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 AM
bahrain

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about RCs to know how to change the bushings and servos etc. This is my first RC.
I think Ineed to read up a bit more.

I checked and played around with theremote trim but the steering issue was still there. Ithen loosened/tightened the screw just above the servo saver and issue still there. Problem is I don't know how tight/loose the screw should be. I'm going to try and open the whole steering section up this weekend and see if I can figure something out.

Thanks for the help.

Al.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:30 AM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

As long as you aren't losing any parts or stripping threads you aren't going to hurt anything, so just start taking it apart. Only way to learn. I try to keep the screws with the parts they go in. Look at the exploded diagram if you can't figure out where something goes when you put it back. The screws I was talking about for the servo saver "should" be good and tight. But like I said, since being tight can bind things up, I usually tighten them and then back them out maybe 1/4-1/2 turn.

The next thing I'd do now is take the top plastic cover on the front end off the flat piece covering the steering linkage, I think 6 or 8 screws. Then disconnect the servo from the linkage (1 more screw), turn it on and see what kind of travel you have from your steering servo. It should turn from more or less straight up to about 30 degrees in each direction with steering input.

My neighbor's servo horn (that's what the other end of the steering pushrod connects to) had to be moved a tooth because even with full trim he was still veering to one side. That might be your problem, too, but worse.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 PM
rccb23

That is brilliant!!!! where would one find an assortment of these bearings my good sir

Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM
rccb23

There is one very important thing I didn't see mentioned above. My earthquake has an adjustable "pitman" link (the link that goes from the servo to the steering saver) you must make sure that the steering is centered to it self. This is very simple. Take the screw out that connects the link to the servo, then make the 2 front tires point straight ahead. then turn the truck on and adjust the servo to zero by using the trim dial. then without turning the front wheels lay the pitman link back down and see if the holes to connect it to the servo line up. If not adjust the link until it does. that is the only true way to make sure the steering is centered with itself. If that doesn't work then you have an alignment problem but I won't get into that until I need to