Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Change within the AMA - what would you do different and why?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Change within the AMA - what would you do different and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change within the AMA - what would you do different and why?

So it would seem this forum is full of criticism. Some thought out, and others not so much.

Post up what you would want changed and why. Let us take this a step further. Add how you would accomplish your wanted change if you were in the position to do so.

Let this thread be creative and intelligent.

Let’s see if we can all work together on this.

Let’s see if we can keep this as a discussion and not an argument.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Change within the AMA - what would you do different and why?

ORIGINAL: TimJ

So it would seem this forum is full of criticism. Some thought out, and others not so much.

Post up what you would want changed and why. Let us take this a step further. Add how you would accomplish your wanted change if you were in the position to do so.

Via special incentives AMA should encourage members and clubs to help establish flying sites for and within their local communities... I am not talking about flying sites exclusive just to AMA members but places where anyone can fly.

Education in regards to working with local government entities would of course be essential. Sad to say but as it stands now we are our own worst enemies when it comes to working with local parks systems and other public use land officials.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM
KidEpoxy

hmm, this thread sounds familiar

For starters, I still suggest the stuff I suggested [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9992227/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]Here[/link]

I also think AMA should promote & defend ALL aeromodeling disciplines
rather than selecting some modeling to help and some modeling to destroy

I would like to have AMA stop doing things folks find too embarrassing to talk about on the internet.
To wit: If folks say talking about something AMA did on the internet is an embarrassment to AMA,
then we shouldnt be doing that embarrassing thing in the first place... we should do things we are proud of and stop doing things that embarrass us
Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see the AMA make the general public aware of model aviation by having major contests featured on TV. The Jumprope National Championships have been on ESPN and the Disney Channel several times. The AMA should find out who their PR person is and hire that person.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

I would like to see the AMA make the general public aware of model aviation by having major contests featured on TV. The Jumprope National Championships have been on ESPN and the Disney Channel several times. The AMA should find out who their PR person is and hire that person.
Be a hero for the hobby, Jim...........volunteer to fly CL models for a new twist on jump roping events: participants would be positioned just inside the circle flown by the model and jump over the control line(s). We could be sharing the spotlight with the Jump Rope Champs! It would be blast to watch, especially as the degree of difficulty progressed to Speed and then Combat models. Gotta get moving on this before the tether car guys jump in on the concept.........and they'll surely be motivated, having generated even less public awareness than model aviation.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 PM
oskartek

ORIGINAL: TimJ

Already been done.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10051301/tm.htm
Old 06-04-2011, 04:32 AM
TimJ

The Jumprope National Championships have been on ESPN and the Disney Channel several times.
This one has always had me scratching my head. At minimum a R/C Car race would be more exciting to watch I would think....Let alone model airplanes say flying 3D....
Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

I'd like to change where you join the AMA and it's only good for the rest of that year. A new guy pays $58 to join AMA in September, after scratching up $58 in this economy. Then in October gets AMA letter stating that it's time to pay another $58 to renew for next year.

I know buried deep in the bylaws it says you only have to pay a pro-rated renewal fee.

That letter you get from the AMA says nothing about a pro-rated fee. It says pay $58 now!

If a new member pays $58 on 9-7-11 his AMA should run through 9-6-12. The IMAA does it that way why can't the AMA?

Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I would like the to see the AMA promote the Hobby to Parks and Recreation departmanets around the country. I don't see private citizens buying/leasing land to build softball fields or football fields. Large and small communitties alike are willing to build "ball" facilities with tax money on public land. And that is how RC airfields should be built. We pay taxes. Where are our fields ? Why do we accept being treated like second class citizens.

Yes, there is a small percentage of fields that are built by municiple parks department. I'm not saying that it never happens. But it should be the norm, not a footnote. I live in Houston. There are nearly 20 clubs in the area that are listed as AMA clubs and countless other flying sites. The Metro area has 4.5 million people. This city has one municiple RC air park. That means Houston services less than 5% of the need.

One small town, for example Johnson City, Tennessee, has a very nice municiple RC air field, with a F84 jet on a pedestal and a shelter and parking lot and a paved runway. That fields serves a town of 50k with one RC club. That town does serve its people well. So, it can be done. It can be done well with pride.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 PM
wb5ziy

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

I'd like to change where you join the AMA and it's only good for the rest of that year. A new guy pays $58 to join AMA in September, after scratching up $58 in this economy. Then in October gets AMA letter stating that it's time to pay another $58 to renew for next year.

I know buried deep in the bylaws it says you only have to pay a pro-rated renewal fee.

That letter you get from the AMA says nothing about a pro-rated fee. It says pay $58 now!

If a new member pays $58 on 9-7-11 his AMA should run through 9-6-12. The IMAA does it that way why can't the AMA?

If he joins between 9/15/11 to 3/31/12, his membership is good to the end of Dec 2012. If he joins between 1 April and 9/14 then it will be prorated accordingly. This from an AMA DVP just a few minutes ago. And if an error has been made about the renewal amount just let AMA know and it will be corrected. I do not know why the renewal is not for a year from the date of inception but I am sure your DVP or someone at the AMA can explain it. I have been a member since before you know who was a corporal and it seems that it has always been that way. Never gave it much thought.
Maybe if enough people were to bring this up to the EC it could be changed?

Jack
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Jim Thomerson

Just to stay on the Jumprope theme, I have read on one of the forums that Jumprope teams have provided halftime entertaient at basketball games (don't know any details). I've seen videos of remarkable RC aerobatic flying in a gymnasium. Why not AMA/Industry sponsored show teams to provide halftime entertainment? Maybe contact the Harlem Globetrotters as a place to start. Let's see if we can beat the Jumprope people to landing the Superbowl halftime show.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:12 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Been there. Didn't you see in Model Aviation that story of the famous pattern guy in the 1960's that did a demo taxi during the Worlds Series?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:38 PM
oskartek

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

After being out of the AMA for a considerable amount of years I rejoined after the second half of last year and paid the $58.00 membership fee.
When I was billed for 2011 it was for $43.00, so that means I was given a $15.00 credit. It all comes out in the end.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 PM
oskartek

I am also a member of another AMA (The American Motorcyclist Association) that has over 230,000 members and far more enthusiasts of the pastime and sport.
The few motorcycle racing broadcasts that are shown only on one channel(Speed) are constantly being preempted and delayed due to programming that is far more popular.
Why? Because the tiny amount of viewers that follow motorcycle motorsports are just not that important to the network.

Thesize of the model aircraft enthusiast community is very small compared to the motorcycling community so it is not suprising that the broadcasters are not interested.

Happy flying, Oscar
Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Jim Thomerson

I have seen one thing on TV about RC combat, which I think the AMA had a hand in. Over many years, all I have encountered from the AMA is absolute refusal to make any effort to reach the general public. In St Louis we were well on the way to doing control line half time at a game in Busch Stadium when the RC accident in Shea (?) stadium occurred. So much for that!

Google Jump Rope halftime show to see what the competition looks like.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

Be a hero for the hobby, Jim...........volunteer to fly CL models for a new twist on jump roping events: participants would be positioned just inside the circle flown by the model and jump over the control line(s). We could be sharing the spotlight with the Jump Rope Champs! It would be blast to watch, especially as the degree of difficulty progressed to Speed and then Combat models. Gotta get moving on this before the tether car guys jump in on the concept.........and they'll surely be motivated, having generated even less public awareness than model aviation.

I like this. CJ shows some spunk. We could probably do a half-time thing at the Super Bowl game too, where we pit one of the players against a pylon racer, seeing if he can tackle it before it reaches the the end zone!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Over many years, all I have encountered from the AMA is absolute refusal to make any effort to reach the general public.

Great observation! And that is a very good indicator of AMA's real fear of the hobby growing beyond their parental fostering and is a sure sign of insecurity. Unless something changes, we will never see AMA promote the hobby purely for the hobby's sake...everything AMA does will always be about and "for" the AMA...
Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf
Over many years, all I have encountered from the AMA is absolute refusal to make any effort to reach the general public.
Great observation! And that is a very good indicator of AMA's real fear of the hobby growing beyond their parental fostering and is a sure sign of insecurity. Unless something changes, we will never see AMA promote the hobby purely for the hobby's sake...everything AMA does will always be about and ''for'' the AMA...
AMA has surfaced in "Face Book" "Twitter" and maybe other items, yet that usually is still preaching to the choir. In my 2008 campaign statement I presented this, although very condensed for space consideration, it would be greatly expanded should I be elected to EVP.
>>>"Together we can ensure governments at all levels are aware of our excellent sport. Using available no-cost media we can bring the aeromodeling message to all from the White House down to city and township councils. All the major networks plus local news media will receive aeromodeling news on a regular basis. Informing the national offices and media about the international goodwill AMA promotes through the FAI programs has to be of their interest. When a Club or group speaks to officials about flying sites, noise problems, etc. the modelers will then be received by persons aware of modeling’s worth in recreation and education for both young and old."
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Jim Thomerson

I think Horrace's suggestions are very good and should be easily implemented. Many years ago, the AMA sent a news release to your hometown newspaper when you entered the nationals. Now you can become a World Champion and the AMA could care less. I don't completely agree with littlecrankshaft, because the hobby has already grown far beyond the AMA, and the AMA doesn't even just promote the AMA to the general public. On the other hand, I have no better explanation for the AMA's insistence on a path to oblivion.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Horrace's suggestions are very good and should be easily implemented. Many years ago, the AMA sent a news release to your hometown newspaper wh

In a message dated 11/20/2010 8:59 Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

I can tell you that AMA is committed to growing members in the hobby. How we can convince your local club that they should embrace new fliers is an issue that we have been trying to address for many years! Clubs don’t like change. They don’t want new people “messing up” their hobby. However, when they loose a flying site or have a problem, the reach out for help or blame AMA. They can’t have it both ways. In the book I copied to you, I outline how to “keep” flying sites. That includes being involved with community and growing the club. I get hate mail over that! They tell me to mind my own business and that they need to stay hidden so they don’t loose their site. Hogwash!

Now I fully understand why.

fliers1

en you entered the nationals. Now you can become a World Champion and the AMA could care less. I don't completely agree with littlecrankshaft, because the hobby has already grown far beyond the AMA, and the AMA doesn't even just promote the AMA to the general public. On the other hand, I have no better explanation for the AMA's insistence on a path to oblivion.
For a long time, I also was perplexed as to why AMA didn't seem to want to do whatever was possible to attract newcomers to the hobby/sport. Keeping in mind that the AMA is the membership and the membership is the AMA.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Oberst
Banned

The only thing I would change is to have a deductable when people been flying a few years that haven't had a incident, nor had to file a claim. Plus I would make it a option to either want the magazine or not. If a person wants to waiver the mag they would get $15 off the AMA Insurance.

Other than that, I'd leave everything the same.

Pete
Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Jim Thomerson

I think it is entirely reasonable for AMA headquarters to encourage clubs to attract newcomers, do community outreach, etc. There are clubs who have no room for new members, do not want to do community outreach for some reason, etc. This is to be expected.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 AM
chymas
My Feedback: (1)

I would like to see the filing process for event sanctioning brought up to 2012.  Can't we stream line this thing a bit?  How about online filing and being able to pay the registration fees with PayPal.

Right now you still have to fill it out on paper, send it to your district rep, and then they send it on to AMA.  This is 1990's at best, lets get up to speed and streamline the process a bit.