Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Another savage vs mgt

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another savage vs mgt

so as the title says its the savagex vs the mgt 4.6(not the mini) was hoping to not have to make a post but after looking thru alot of pages on this i find a ton are old 2-4 years. so i thought what the hell but first you ask why not the 8.0 when its the same price as the savage x well price if i was to get the 8.0 id go the savage route. but if i can save a little money with the 4.6 and upgrade months down the road.... now to my question i found most of everything on this is 1 sided go savage. but people who say it seem to of never owned a mgt so im looking and hoping for some insight from people have own or have owned both
Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Goatcrapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another savage vs mgt

I've had both an xl and an 8.0.

The savage is a monster, no doubt. Its the better truck out of the box in terms of durability.

Yes, i'm saying this in a MGT forum.. stock for stock the savage is the better truck.

But you should also know that i sold the savage, and kept my mgt 8, and never once regretted it.

Frankly, i found the MGT pan frame to be more versatile than the ladder frame of the savage, in terms of accessibility for repair items, adding mods, etc... however keep in mind that same difference gives the savage an advantage when it comes to really, really hard bashing. We're talking top 5% of all bashing scenarios however - the type where you're at least walking away with broken shock towers and the like.. so don't think one is invincible while the other isn't.. its just a matter of how much you'll have to fix after a 30 foot jump to concrete.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. stock for stock - the mgt 8's motor is way torquier.. you can turn bigger wheels more easily, and get into some really messy stuff without bogging down. its faster off the line and accelerates harder at all rev ranges. I'd give the savage the nod for top speed, but it would be playing catch up to a 8.0 until then. the savage's handling is much better stock... and the head is better protected in a flip or roof landing.

don't buy a 4.6 to upgrade it later.. buy a 4.6 because you want a 4.6. If you're already planning upgrades - go with the 8.0. Start with the best platform you can get and upgrade from there. The price difference between a 4.6 and 8.0 is pretty minimal nowadays, if you shop around. the 8 has the stronger tranny, which isn't a trivial difference - that transmission costs almost a 3rd of the price of a 4.6.

both are about equal in terms of factory support, but the savage has a bigger aftermarket.

Either truck can handle a decent LRP motor - and the 5.6 vs the 8.0 debate is stupid, because both motors are pretty average, nothing more. Both hard to keep a tune, both tempermental until you seal it properly... both run hotter than you would like, and both consume fuel way too quickly. lol.

The 8.0 can be turned into a real screamer however with a port and polish. So can the 5.6.. but one to one - the 8.0 just gets better and better over the 5.6 when port/polished. (still will be hard to hold a tune, and drink fuel... but will run cooler typically)

Its a toss up. The savage has a loyal following for a good reason, and its very durable. Once i started modding them both though, i found the mgt to be the better fit *for me*

Best bet would be to go find a few RC bash spots and see who has what.. and see if any of them are friendly enough to let you try. I'll gladly let anyone try my truck out because i built it to have the crap knocked out of it ie: if a noob (or just someone not used to monster trucks) can break it - it means i didn't build it good enough anyways. My only rules - avoid the biggest hill until you're ready and let off the throttle if i tell you to.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
echthelion

yeah i was saying i could upgrade because ive seen alot of the "just get the 8.0" but the 80 bucks id save sound like nothing to some but its fuel and replacement parts lol.  now jump wise nothing retarded like a 30ft fall most likey 2-3 foot max and where i live id have to travil 50-75 miles to find anything like a real hobby store or people who even know of a nitro rc. wish i live near you lol everything for me is internet based not being able to see anything in person just blows thank god for fourms
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 AM
AgentDrewski
My Feedback: (1)

Goatcrapp

Post is spot on really,
As a MGT 8.0 owner I had the same conflict when buying my first nitro RC. I went with the MGT 8.0. I'm glad I never bothered with the 4.6. Reason being, you will always be thinking in the back of your head. What would it be like to have the 8.0? So anyways I've learned that Owning a Nitro RC isn't for anyone who has a tight budget. If the $80 or so dollars is a deal breaker for you. Then I would just wait tell you can afford to buy the premium truck. Don't expect to buy any truck on the market and not dump gobs of money in to it. I don't care what anyone on these forums tell you. Nitro RC is a money pit, so if you really really want to get in it, great its fun. But have some money to play with before you start.

In conclusion both trucks are great, with and equal amount of pros vs cons. HPI makes amazing products. Associated offers a uniqueness in both the products and experience of running them. I'm the only one in my city that runs a MGT 8.0 at my local hobby shop track. I get countless people come up and ask me about my truck. My truck breaks no more or less then there trucks. I dump A** tones of money in to mine, and so do they. If they say they don't, there just lying really they are. In the end Get the truck that makes you Grin the most, the one that you think you will have the most fun driving. Then get ready to fix it when it breaks...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Nickboulin

If you are doing small 2'-3' jumps, both trucks will be fine. Ihave always had Team AE vehicles over the past 17 years and loved them all. That being said, the other truck is plenty fine. They both drink fuel big time. Iput a second tank on my 8.0 and Iget 15-17 minute runs with it. You will spend plenty of money either way. The 8.0 motorshould be better suited for smaller areas when bashing because of the torque and acceleration.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM
echthelion

Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
SLAYERDUDE

I own both (XL 5.9 and MGT 8.0) and like Goat said, the Savage is way more durable out of the box.
Keep in mind I don't take it easy on my trucks by any means but the 8.0 broke several times just rolling from wheelies in a parking lot.
And it seems to continue breaking every couple tanks...
If you get the 8.0 stock up on body mounts, bumpers, hub carriers (knuckles), and from what I hear arms and shocktowers.
RPM for anything they make.
I've got about 12 gallons on my Savage XL and I've replaced one lower a arm and the hub carriers are reversible, I broke an ear off one but just switched sides and was running within 10 minutes...
Needless to say I'm sitting on a boatload of spare XL plastic from ebay that I may never use lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:04 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Here's a couple vids of me beating both..

MGT 8.0 , it took a pretty good beating that day and only broke a shock end.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXhqgodBPIc[/youtube]

Savage XL maximum punishment... and it drove away.
Out of 3 days of hitting that 6' jump I broke one turnbuckle end.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRuK978gJB8[/youtube]
Old 06-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Goatcrapp

Whats up dude!  nice vids.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Well, im a month late, but might as well weigh in.... lol

I have 2 monster GT's, and also owned another. Of the 2 i own now, one is brushless, and one is the 4.6 which i have ran some, but only pull with it now. I also have a savage which i have ran over 10 gallons through. All the trucks are pretty well stock suspension wise.

The savage is without a doubt tougher out of the box. I havent broken anything to speak of on my savage. I have broken 1 shock tower and a lower A-Arm on my brushless MGT. Havent broken anything on my 4.6 MGT, but thats mainly because it never saw much bashing.

The MGT is much easier to work on. The differentials on the MGT are built very well, and it has CVD's throughout the driveline. The MGT handles pretty well with some smaller tires or truggy wheels. The transmission works well, but i would reccomend getting rid of the reverse. The stock 4.6 engine is awesome. Tunes great, not bad on fuel, and makes real good power for a .28. The 8.0 also appears to be a very strong running engine, however i think it drinks the fuel pretty good. I think the main weak point is the shock towers, but i dont beat my stuff that hard so i dont usually have a lot of breakage. Im also not real happy with the shocks, but maybe i would be with some aluminum caps and thicker oil?

The savage now has a much stronger driveline since they updated to the bulletproof differentials. The transmission is pretty strong and you really shouldnt have driveline issues even with a pretty mean engine. The stock savage 4.6 engine is also a very good engine with power on par with the 4.6 MGT engine. As far as im concerned, with normal bashing, the savage is perfect out of the box. Especially with the big bore shocks they all come with now. The savage is a very well rounded truck now that they have updated the driveline.

Over all, pick the one you want. The MGT is not the basher a savage is, but its much easier to work on, and a very quality truck that can be good at about anything. The savage is a real hardcore bashing truck and will take some real punishment. Ill have to say i really enjoy owning both trucks( as well as a losi LST2 which is another story). My reccomendation is to try out/own as many of them as you have the chance to and decide for yourself which one you think fits you best. Or just keep them both like i did.