Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Stinson Reliant SR-10

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Stinson Reliant SR-10

Old 10-31-2010, 11:56 PM
aronph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Stinson Reliant SR-10

now if we had a SIX channel Rx we could incorporate flaperons AND flaps!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 AM
ERIJOH

WHAT DO FLAPERONS DO FOR YOU
Old 11-01-2010, 09:30 AM
aronph

flaperons are when both ailerons drop down as flaps but are still stearable-look at some heavy jets or military stuff and you will see the outer control surfaces on the wing(ailerons)drop down with the flaps also but they are still stearable when they are down-get on youtube and look up something like"carrier launch" or something and you will see the entire back of the wing is down like one giant flap-if you have a plane(rc)that doesnt have flaps, if you have the right Rx you can incorporate a flaperon mix and still get flaps out of a plane that doesnt have flaps"
Flaperons on a Kitfox Model 3, built in 1991

A flaperon is a type of control surface that combines aspects of both flaps and ailerons. In addition to controlling the roll or bank of an aircraft like conventional ailerons, both flaperons can be lowered together to function much the same as a dedicated set of flaps would. Both ailerons could also be raised, which would give spoilerons.

The pilot has separate controls for ailerons and flaps. A mixer is used to combine the separate pilot input into this single set of control surfaces called flaperons. The use of flaperons instead of separate ailerons and flaps can reduce the weight of an aircraft. The complexity is transferred from having a double set of control surfaces (flaps and ailerons) to the mixer.

Many designs that incorporate flaperons mount the control surfaces away from the wing so as to provide undisturbed airflow at high angles of attack or low airspeeds.

When the flaperon surface is hinged below the trailing edge of a wing, they are sometimes referred to as "Junker Flaperons", from the doppelflügel type of trailing edge surfaces used on a number of Junkers aircraft of the 1930s, such as the Junkers Ju 52 airliner, and Junkers Ju 87 Stuka iconic World War II dive bomberhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v0eqPLpac&NR=1=NU_

Old 11-01-2010, 12:47 PM
milehighjc

If anyone is interested, you can also program 3 position flaps with the DX6i. It took a bit of searching, but I did finally get it figured out. Mine now works like this:

Background : I have my dual rates linked on the D/R COMBI setting, and set on my AIL D/R switch, leaving the ELE D/R switch open.

All neutral : both flaps, and ELE D/R switch up.
Half flaps (Im now using 13mm of deflection for half flaps, a little less float, but slows it down nicely) are deployed with the ELE D/R switch DOWN.
Full Flaps (Im now using 20mm of deflection, and a little down elevator) are deployed with the FLAPS switch DOWN

First the flap servo must be plugged into the AUX channel on the RX.

I set up the full flaps setting on the FLAPS menu. NORM is the retract setting, LAND of course is the setting for full flaps/down elevator.

Then, set up MIX1 for FLAP -> FLAP mix:

FLAP -> FLAP ACT
RATE D x% U y%
SW ELE D/R TRIM INH

Fiddle with x or y until you get the half flap deflection that you want.

A buddy of mine has the DX7, and it is really nice with the three position switch. Initial research looked like I wasnt going to be able to do it at ALL on the DX6i, but as you can see its quite possible (and very nice too I might add...) I use the half flap setting for take off. When Im setting up a landing, I drop half flaps on the downwind leg while pulling back the throttle, then deploy full flaps on final. Really slows it down, but you dont want to be making any abrupt turns with full flaps.

jc
Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 PM
aronph

i just came up from the basement and got 3 position flaperons to work on a dx7 and a PZ extra
Old 11-09-2010, 09:10 AM
milehighjc

I guess it was inevitable.

I was out Saturday on a perfect Colorado flying day having an absolute grin-fest with the Stinson. A buddy was there to video a flight, one that I was going to mount my keychain cam so that I could have two points of view in the same video. He was still flying, so I took the SR-10 up for a warm up flight. Loops, rolls, vertical rolls, the Stinson was flying beautifully. I love the look of loops with the stinson flying towards me. The loop started maybe 50 yards away from me, and not more than 25' up. I must have got a little rudder into it causing it to corkscrew a little - making it come DIRECTLY at me. You can guess the result - yep, right over my head on the exit of the loop at full throttle, with all the energy of the downside of the loop. Lost orientation, and WHAM into the ditch with a sickening thud.

Broke the wing and a wing strut, broke the horizontal stab, totaled the gear, shattered the cowl, broke the motor into two pieces. Not a pretty sight, but at least the walk of shame was only 30'.

The good news is that this is one tough hunk of foam. 48 hours, a bunch of hammeringand $17 later, its back up on its gear and ready to be re-trimmed.

The motor was the odd part, and leads to a question. If you look at the 480, there is a front (bell), and a back section. The back is stationary, and is where it mounts to the motor mount. That is where mine separated. I figured I was in for a new motor, but decided to take it to the LHS and look at it beside a new one. A long story short, not being able to find any broken pieces, we literally hammered the two pieces together again. Surprisingly to me, it runs, and as smooth as ever. I dont think I could get them apart again without a hammer and a pry bar. Are the two parts sections really just a compression fitting? There doesnt seem to be a set screw... or anything else we could find. The LHS guys had never seen one separate like that.

Thoughts?

jc

Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM
trickpony4
My Feedback: (14)

What size are the landing gear wheels? Am I going to be able to take off and land on the grass field that we normally fly on, without tearing something up?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 PM
rrhea

I just measured the tires, they're 2.5 inches.
If you look back at my post on this link from about 10 days ago, there's a video of my second flight with the SR-10, taking off and landing on a closely mown flying field. It went fine. You've got to touch down with some power to keep from flipping tail-over-nose.I had tried a few days before on a soccer field, and it flipped every time I landed. The field was bumpy and the grass a little longer and uneven.
The landing gear struts on this plane are made of very soft plate aluminum. After each flying session (4 or 5 flights) I've had to remove the gear, reform the struts and mount them again. Even after a session of 5 perfect grass landings.
I guess on pavement they would probably be fine if every landing is perfect!

This is my only complaint with the SR-10. Too bad Parkzone didn't make them of light spring steel or carbon fiber. I already bought a pair for backup.
With all that said, it's no big deal to take them off, and the retro look of the gear and pants are part of the magic!
I would still buy the SR-10. It flies great, looks great and I've enjoyed every minute of flying and working on it!

Rocky

PS: Here a Video I put together using an onboard videocam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmWQ1BToAk0

Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 PM
trickpony4

Thanks Rocky! I'll be ready for the nose-overs......... :-) You're making me think more about getting a little video camera for my 1/4 scale Decathlon or 1/4 scale J3 Cub too.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 PM
rrhea

Here's a link for the camera I was using. It is only $19.70 w/free shipping!
http://www.hobbypartz.com/hicocagrfo...FeFN5Qod_19zIw

Old 11-20-2010, 11:12 PM
trickpony4

Thanks for the heads up on the camera too! I flew mine several times today,,,,,,,taking off and landing in the short grass runway we have. The only time it nosed over was after I had landed, and was taxiing back towards me. The wind caught the tail and up it came. I got it throttled back in time that I didn't end up with a broken prop, so all was good. This is a very relaxing, fun plane to fly~~~~
Now I'm thinking more about utilizing the flaps!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM
aronph

mmmmm.......flaps gooood
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM
rgspemkt
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

Well, it sounds like we're travelling parallel paths - somewhat. Irecognize your IDfrom the Super Cub forum.

I've been flying HZSuper Cubs (I got the old "red" one about 18 months ago and an LP last July so I could fly with floats).
I just bought the Stinson yesterday and put it together last night. I got a BNF as I bought a JR X9303 last week.

It's too windy to fly today, so I may just have to do some taxiing with the Stinson and see if it calms down later.

I'm a newbie when it comes to radios that exceed the ones that come with the Super Cubs, so I'm trying to
learn as much as I can about the 9303. One thing I'm concerned about is the the Spektrum AR500 RX in the
Stinson emits a continuous tone. The TXand Rx are "bound"as I have throt/rudder control on the left stick
and ail/elev on the right does this sound correct?

John

Old 11-28-2010, 12:47 PM
aronph

i have the ar500 in the extra to and it does the same thing-no worries-sticks are right, thats mode 2....RUD,THR on left stick..ELE,AIL on right stick-are you using the gear channel for anything?
Old 11-28-2010, 01:05 PM
trickpony4

Can anyone tell me how to get the shaft out of this 480 brushless motor that comes in the Stinson?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:13 PM
rgspemkt

Hi,
Thanks for the info it will take a little getting used to since I'm accustomed to having the rudder/elev on the right stick.
No, I'm not using GEAR for anything yet! <G>

john
Old 11-28-2010, 07:10 PM
aronph

the gear channel is a usable channel for whatever-i used mine to drive the right aileron and have independant control over ailerons then incorporated flapperons, even though the stinson has flaps
Old 11-28-2010, 08:17 PM
rgspemkt

Since I've only had my Stinson for a little over 24 hours and it was 20 - 25+ MPH winds all day today, has anyone tried putting a keychain cam in the cockpit looking through  the windshield yet? I suspect that the prop would  do the "horizontal lines thing" ? Also, the cockpit looks a bit bare, is there a scale pilot figure out there that anyone would recommend?

I can try and look up some 1:1 stats on the prototype then use that to determine the scale of the model, unless someone already has that worked out. Anybody?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:20 AM
milehighjc

ORIGINAL: rgspemkt
Hi,

Well, it sounds like we're travelling parallel paths - somewhat. Irecognize your IDfrom the Super Cub forum.

I've been flying HZSuper Cubs (I got the old "red" one about 18 months ago and an LP last July so I could fly with floats).
I just bought the Stinson yesterday and put it together last night. I got a BNF as I bought a JR X9303 last week.

It's too windy to fly today, so I may just have to do some taxiing with the Stinson and see if it calms down later.

I'm a newbie when it comes to radios that exceed the ones that come with the Super Cubs, so I'm trying to
learn as much as I can about the 9303. One thing I'm concerned about is the the Spektrum AR500 RX in the
Stinson emits a continuous tone. The TXand Rx are "bound"as I have throt/rudder control on the left stick
and ail/elev on the right does this sound correct?

John

Hi John,
I think all of the Spektrum RX's have a bit of "squeal" to them. I first noticed on my T-28 when I first got it. Neither it, nor the Stinson seem to do it as much as when they were new. Im not sure if thats a "breaking in" thing, or just a matter of having really worked on getting the the control surfaces dead centered without using trim or subtrim. Maybe someone here can comment on that.

I think you will love the Stinson... I know I get the big kick out of it. Its a very graceful flyer.

I have a piece of velcro mounted on the plastic wing mount (leading edge) in hopes of minimizing the prop lines. Unfortunately, Ive not been able to get a camera flight in on it yet. The first time I went out, my cam battery was dead. The next time, I flew a "warm up" flight that ended in a NASTY crash. Ive been working to get it trimmed the way I like it, and fighting weather and short days now, so I still havent had the chance.

Get yourself a nice calm day for the maiden. If you put the flaps on it, know that it will literally JUMP into the air, and is prone to stalls if you are not careful. On my first flight, I had WAAAY too much flap in on take off, and I wasnt expecting it. Wound up with a wicked left veer, and caught a wingtip on the weeds at the edge of the runway. Instant cartwheel. Fortunately, I had no damage except slightly bend landing gear.

Good luck... look forward to hearing your first flight report!

jc
Old 04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
y2k6vette

Purchased the Reliant a couple of weeks ago and would like to install some 27" floats....whaddyathink?

Steve
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
donjiskra

Steve, Great idea.
Take a look at these: www.planefunfloats.
They are made out of foam and covered with balsa. I hava a set on my Escapade and love them.
Goo luck,
Don
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM
donjiskra

Steve, Great idea.
Take a look at these: www.planefunfloats.com
They are made out of foam and covered with balsa. I hava a set on my Escapade and love them.
Good luck,
Don
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
y2k6vette

Don,
Thanks for the link.....their floats look great....I'll get in tough with them.
Steve
Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM
donjiskra

Steve,
They are really great.
BTW, I measured my Stinonn's length, it's abiut 33", so you will need a 24" set. ROT is that the floats should be 75% of the fuse length.
Don't know if you are planning on using a water rudder. A real necessity for taxing. Maxford USA has a great one.
Good luck,
Don
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 AM
bigstang

hey guys im trading a nitro tunnel(lap cat 2) for Stinson Reliant SR-10 and comes with a dx6i. this will be my second plane my first one im picking up today is gonna be my traner lol is a piper cub. but looking to get into getting rc off the ground as i already have a 4 differant rc(mt,rc...) but no planes. untill today when i get the cub thats never been flown for 80

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.