Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

New DX8 Trans/Receiver...what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DX8 Trans/Receiver...what?

I just paid a pretty good chunk for this system, 2-3 weeks ago, at my LHS and now this notice/recall thing.....I'm just back in the hobby after a few years and not really sure I understand what this is all about. Anyway I sent HH an email, hope to hear something back. I also have a question about what receivers I can use....I've purchased 3-4, 6 and 7 channel 2.4 Spek receivers here on RCU, if the receiver is good working order is there any reason I should not be able to use them...Thanks, B7
Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 AM
electricpete

Default RE: New DX8 Trans/Receiver...what?

Use the new Ar8000 or any DSMX Rx
Pete
Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM
k12rc

B7 go to hh and watch the video it will answer your question
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which video?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM
k12rc

go to horizon click on DSMX watch video
Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
fizzwater2

while the video was good, it says nothing about the latest recall and what happens operating a DSMX transmitter in DSM2 mode.

I just bought a DX8 - and fortunately, it's PID code is not one of the ones that has been recalled. I hope that Spektrum is able to get everyone's TX's updated and back in their hands ASAP.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
onewasp

Come on guys the bulletin lists each Rx which MAY present a problem !

Read it : http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPM66251
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: blue77

I just paid a pretty good chunk for this system, 2-3 weeks ago, at my LHS and now this notice/recall thing.....I'm just back in the hobby after a few years and not really sure I understand what this is all about. Anyway I sent HH an email, hope to hear something back. I also have a question about what receivers I can use....I've purchased 3-4, 6 and 7 channel 2.4 Spek receivers here on RCU, if the receiver is good working order is there any reason I should not be able to use them...Thanks, B7

CALL them on one of their toll free numbers.
Much faster and you actually talk to a real live human in the process .
One number is 1-800-338-4639 .

I have no idea what you got with a used Rx: - condition, history, crashed, NIB ?????
Quite frankly you don't have any idea either .
Used radio gear is NOT a good bet in my book.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It works on any of the dsm2 rcvrs. About 10 in use here.It switches to whatever the rcvr happens to be, be it dsm2 or x.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM
ror

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

while the video was good, it says nothing about the latest recall and what happens operating a DSMX transmitter in DSM2 mode.

I just bought a DX8 - and fortunately, it's PID code is not one of the ones that has been recalled. I hope that Spektrum is able to get everyone's TX's updated and back in their hands ASAP.

"compatibility issue that could cause a "hold" with the following superseded DSM2 receivers: AR500, AR6100, AR6100E, AR6110, AR6110E, AR6200 and AR6300."

FYI: I have a DX8(in the recall)and an AR500 in BF109 BNF...no problems so far.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 AM
blue77

OK guys...I have read and tried the test at HH, and gone over the list of receivers......When I tried the test by moving the gimbels I did not see anything unusual...but like I said I'm not sure I understand what this is all about....anyone got a simple explanation? B7
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Two things:

IF you're using one of the specified receivers, and
IF your radio has a PID code mentioned in the list,
then you MIGHT have problems with the RF link.

IF your radio has a PID code mentioned in the list,
then you MIGHT have problems with gimbals that required fixing.

In other words, if your radio has one of the mentioned PID codes, GET IT SERVICED.

If it doesn't, then go fly the heck out of it!

Andy
Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 AM
fizzwater2

Thanks, Andy! I'm sure looking forward to using the heck out of my new one! Just put my last AR6200 into my new Pogo last night, hopefully I can do some flying this weekend with it.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 AM
blue77

Well, I've sent HH support an email, no response, tried calling, but put on hold, never connected....I'm wondering how long this is going to take? I would think they would have some kind of exchange...B7
Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 AM
ror

Well, I've sent HH support an email, no response, tried calling, but put on hold, never connected....I'm wondering how long this is going to take? I would think they would have some kind of exchange...B7
I have called HH a couple of times lately and got through with no problem.
Yes they put you on hold so "WAIT". That is what I tell my 2 yr old grandson WAIT when he flies the flight sim to allow the heli to lift off the ground and then he takes controlls and crashs it...he loves it.
Be patient.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

E-mail responses from Horizon usually take several days in my experience. Calling usually gets you put on hold and you can wait or they offer a callback option where you leave your phone number and a tech will usually call you back within and hour or two and that's what I usually do if I want to talk to someone.

I'm SURE they're busy with this SB business but they will call you back if you leave your number....
Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 AM
ror

OK guys...I have read and tried the test at HH, and gone over the list of receivers......When I tried the test by moving the gimbels I did not see anything unusual...but like I said I'm not sure I understand what this is all about....anyone got a simple explanation? B7
The test is to check if there is any interaction between throtle and rudder or between elevator and aileron so they ask you to move throtle and elevator up and down and observe any movement in rudder and aileron.
They ask you to move throtle and elevator NOTusing the sticks but using the mounts of the throtle and elevator so you do not touch the sticks and move them a little.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy I have chosen to write to you since you apparently are connected with Specrtum/JR?
I have been using Dx7 for 3 years and just upgraded to DX8. Am very sorry. Perhaps it's my age ( 85) but am having very hard time programing it. I see a booklet availabe for $20.00 to learn how to use DX8 and may buy it, but seems if someone can write one why can't Spectrum? Thus far I have crashed one plane which I blame on misunderstanding in use of telemetry. My question to you is that book likely to be helpful?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:14 PM
ror

I am not Andy but my advise is to find a local flying club and there you can find a local expertto help you check over your plane and radio before you fly.
He can also take up your plane and make sure it is trimmed out for you. Do not be ashamed to ask. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Most clubs have a trainer program where they teach you to fly and get your wings.Once you have your wings than you can fly solo anytime with confidence.
Do not rely on books. Get live help.

I see crashes at our club all the time because people will not ask for help.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:50 PM
TedMo

I'm not sure how you misinterpreted what I had asked? Anyhow I have been flying for 60 years so do not not need help there but this DX8 manual really is bad so do need help on it.
Thank you for wanting to help.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM
ror

sorry.
I find the DX8 very logical in the programming just by looking at the menues.
I even put flaperons on a plane using ch5(gear) instead of the default ch6.
I just mixed the the (mix1)aileron togear for aileron control and then mixed (mix2)gear to aileron to get the flap action.
Had to add 100% offset to get everything to zero but it worked.
Also had to pick a normal wing.
If you pick a flaperon wing type you must use ch6 for the other aileron.
Did you read the supplement to the DX8 manual. That has some examples.

what exactly are ypu trying to do.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 AM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: TedMo

Andy I have chosen to write to you since you apparently are connected with Specrtum/JR?
I have been using Dx7 for 3 years and just upgraded to DX8. Am very sorry. Perhaps it's my age ( 85) but am having very hard time programing it. I see a booklet availabe for $20.00 to learn how to use DX8 and may buy it, but seems if someone can write one why can't Spectrum? Thus far I have crashed one plane which I blame on misunderstanding in use of telemetry. My question to you is that book likely to be helpful?
Hi Ted,

I'm happy to hear you're still flying! I had a friend who flew until after he was 94. Keep it up, it'll keep you young!

Manuals (not just ours) are something that can always be better, in my opinion. They take a lot of time to write, and trying to keep up with ever-changing capabilities in modern systems would truly overload the authors.

We made the DX8 software to be as intuitive as we could, in an attempt to make the manual as unnecessary as possible. Yes, it could use improvement.

If you have specific questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer them. I'm curious, how did misunderstanding telemetry cause the crash?

Andy
Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
TedMo

This is what I believe happened. Apparrently I have to blame myself for not reading more thoroughly or whatever. I didn't realize I had to bind the AR1000 separetly. I believe that caused my very unusual reaction to my Chaos which I have been flying for past 25 years on occassion. It seemed to constantly be losing control over and over. fought it for quite a while but it won.. Maybe I'm wrong here again but after reading the instructions on binding the tele and rx it seems I need more than 2 hands. By the way I wasn't able to find the button on side of ar1000 until I called HH. I surely understand that it is a daunting job to write instructions but up until the DX8 I personally have not had a problem and i've been using most every one of Jr's radios for many many years. Thanks for your responce.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:23 PM
AndyKunz

The 3-hands complaint was something we had right away internally with the first prototypes too. So the programmer made a little change, and all the production TM1000's have it. You can skip the bind button on the TM1000 by using a servo Y lead. One side goes to the TM1000, the other goes to a bind plug. The third end goes into the DATA port, same as usual. Remember to remove the bind plug before flying.

The telemetry module does not cause any interference with the system if not bound. You simply would not have seen any telemetry data on the screen. When everything is working correctly, you can use the roller to scroll between several pages of telemetry data, but only when telemetry is actually working in the radio. It sounds like there may have been something else going on. I would check the batteries, linkages, servos (dirty pots or worn-out), and things like that.

I'm sorry to hear that a 25 year old model crashed. I have a 2-year-old Kaos myself. I love that plane! It's just a great plane to fly. Joe Bridi really knew how to design them!

Andy